XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
Madmaxblaster
Rep
Drives: 2015 x1

X1 aftermarket head unit

Good day bmw enthusiasts, I was wondering if someone can lend me a hand. I am look at replacing the stock head unit off my 2015 x1 and was curious what dash kit I would need. I saw after a few searches that we can use the 1 series dash bezel and it would work. Can someone verify and send me a link on one? There's a whole lot of different kinds that is confusing me. Also, I'm looking for a wiring harness for the radio as well and all other necessary items to include on the install, ie any modules needed in case the stock radio also is a security hardware. Thank you to everyone that helps and sorry if this is repetitive as I'm new to the BMW world.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Have you checked on crutchfield.com for ideas?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 01:38 AM   #3
Madmaxblaster
Rep

Yes, I did. It says on their website that they haven't researched the x1 yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

I was told at Best Buy that the factory head unit is linked to the electronics with an optical link, and they had no way to integrate a non-OEM head. Of course, that's BB's opinion, which I don't hold in any great regard. Don't buy a Samsung refrigerator from them, or anyone else for that matter. I found if you give the factory unit a good, digital source, the sound is pretty good if you play it loud.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 02:02 AM   #5
Madmaxblaster
Rep

I'm looking to have Bluetooth music streaming through the head unit. Currently, only Bluetooth connection I have with the stock unit is for calls. The speakers themselves sound good as it is, just want that streaming option added.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2016, 07:49 AM   #6
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Really? Is this feature missing from non-CIC headunits? I thought it was standard in all trims.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Easiest solution would be a Bluetooth receiver via Aux-in
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #8
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner
+1 I bought a receiver like this

Works great, allows calls to come through. Only downside is it can be annoying if it connects to your phone when you're nearby outside your car. It's definitely a inexpensive and reliable mod.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #9
Madmaxblaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius View Post
Really? Is this feature missing from non-CIC headunits? I thought it was standard in all trims.
What do you mean non-cic head units?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
Kinda want to be able to control the music through the head unit. Also, I could just connect the phone through aux and I don't have to buy that at all.

I tried it again and there's no way to connect music through the Bluetooth on the head unit. Only calling features on the connection. USB will only play music files. Can't control the phone even through usb plug.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 11:49 PM   #10
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

The main benefit of Bluetooth connection is that it's wireless... Also depending on the phone you *may* be able to connect to both the Bluetooth audio receiver for music and the Bluetooth on the head unit for calls.

But just going straight into aux in would solve the problem.

CIC is the denomination for the second version of iDrive. Before that it was CCC and the latest is NXT. (I hope I didn't mix up the letters)
Just Google images "BMW CIC NXT" and you'll see how to tell which you have.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 01:55 AM   #11
Madmaxblaster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
The main benefit of Bluetooth connection is that it's wireless... Also depending on the phone you *may* be able to connect to both the Bluetooth audio receiver for music and the Bluetooth on the head unit for calls.

But just going straight into aux in would solve the problem.

CIC is the denomination for the second version of iDrive. Before that it was CCC and the latest is NXT. (I hope I didn't mix up the letters)
Just Google images "BMW CIC NXT" and you'll see how to tell which you have.
My car didn't come with idrive. It just came with the bmw professional radio. Yes, the aux will play music no problem, but what I'm trying to do is go Bluetooth so that I can lessen the wires I have plugged into the car. Also, being able to control the phone through the radio would minimize the chance of a police pulling me over for looking at my phone while driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:04 AM   #12
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Bluetooth audio quality is a bit poor compared to an AUX or USB input, anyway. I have iDrive but I keep all my mobile music on a USB stick. Not a great option if you want to play streaming stuff like Pandora, of course.

There are some aftermarket NAV units out there, though, that could possibly suit your needs. But what little I've read about the audio quality is not promising: http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757576
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 12:59 PM   #13
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius View Post
Bluetooth audio quality is a bit poor compared to an AUX or USB input, anyway. I have iDrive but I keep all my mobile music on a USB stick. Not a great option if you want to play streaming stuff like Pandora, of course.

There are some aftermarket NAV units out there, though, that could possibly suit your needs. But what little I've read about the audio quality is not promising: http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757576

Quality of sound is much better through the USB port, and you can just plug in a cheap memory card/stick. BMW didn't completely disable the USB port. However your control over content can be difficult, unless like me, you prefer your music random. I, too have a no-line model with the BMW "Professional" head unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #14
Madmaxblaster
Rep

All these are good info, but it still doesn't answer my question. I am still unsure if I can use the 1 series aftermarket dash bezel or not and also a stock to aftermarket head unit wiring harness. Both I can't seem to find in any searches.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #15
Beamer1980
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive28i

I was told by three different audio install shops that changing the deck wouldn't be possible due to the optical connection and that is why no dash kit exists for the X1.

I've been looking to change my unit for over six months and haven't had much luck finding a good solution. I recently installed the underseat ghost subs from Bavsound and am waiting for their stage one kit which should be coming in sometime in April. The stock deck doesn't have the best functionality but the sound quality is pretty good. I use the Aux connection for music.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:28 PM   #16
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxblaster
All these are good info, but it still doesn't answer my question. I am still unsure if I can use the 1 series aftermarket dash bezel or not and also a stock to aftermarket head unit wiring harness. Both I can't seem to find in any searches.
Chances are if you can't find one, it's doesn't exist. The X1 has been out for ages. There's not really big market for aftermarket upgrades. There are a ton of resourceful and well connected members here on bimmerpost, that being said, if there were any viable options someone would've either done it or mentioned it by now.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 04:05 PM   #17
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer1980 View Post
I was told by three different audio install shops that changing the deck wouldn't be possible due to the optical connection and that is why no dash kit exists for the X1.

I've been looking to change my unit for over six months and haven't had much luck finding a good solution. I recently installed the underseat ghost subs from Bavsound and am waiting for their stage one kit which should be coming in sometime in April. The stock deck doesn't have the best functionality but the sound quality is pretty good. I use the Aux connection for music.
The AUX input is much inferior to the USB. It's just unless you've paid the BMW tax (options) your USB port is not exactly "universal". The only device that's practical, and gives the highest possible fidelity, is a memory stick.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #18
Beamer1980
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer1980 View Post

The AUX input is much inferior to the USB. It's just unless you've paid the BMW tax (options) your USB port is not exactly "universal". The only device that's practical, and gives the highest possible fidelity, is a memory stick.
Yeah, I get that. I've been using the aux input as I have quite a bit of music on my phone and I can stream as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 05:40 PM   #19
Mr Reality
Mr Reality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x6

My aux hooked up to my Ipod

My aux plays crystal clear music I'm running the factory amp for the factory speakers and a alpine MRV-M500 with Alpine SWS 12D4 sub in a tuned ported box and Im old but I like trap music
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #20
andybmr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 x1 xdrive 28i

Replaced All My Non Harmon Kardon Speakers To Bavsound Including Ghost Underseat Subs. Bavsound Sent Me A Xtra Tweets For My Rear Which Did Not Have Tweets. So I Called Them To Return It Back And They Told Me I Could Keep Them And Refunded Me Some. I Decide To Buy Rear Speaker Shelf That Had Tweeter Mounts So I Could Use The Xtra Tweets. Installed Them Today And My Oh My! The Sound Is Amazing Even With Just Stock Radio And Stock Amp Using My Aux To My Iphone. Money Well Spent For Me...night And Day!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 05:52 AM   #21
ralondauxgxvvc
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

Last month, my friend upgrade his X1 radio with XTRONS QB10X1UN. Unlike other universal head unit, this one is custom fit for X1, so no dash kit required. Also, it is plug & play design.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 09:54 PM   #22
Botlfed98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralondauxgxvvc View Post
Last month, my friend upgrade his X1 radio with XTRONS QB10X1UN. Unlike other universal head unit, this one is custom fit for X1, so no dash kit required. Also, it is plug & play design.
i just installed the XTRONS kit as well:
Appreciate 0