07-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #23
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
That would be the earliest. But hey, what do I know? They can move it up or push it back depending on how the new X3 is selling or when Audi launches the new Q3.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if they delayed the US launch until after the factory shutdown in Summer 2011 and start selling them as MY2012 in Fall 2011.

As far as I'm concerned, even though I'd like to have the X1 in the US sooner, if it takes longer to get here, the more bugs will be worked out when it finally does arrive.

The scheduled maintenance runs out on my E92 in April 2011, so I'll be as anxious as any one else for the X1 to get here!
I have my eye on an X1 as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #24
Viking
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d

Hi Kumiorava!
Absolutely fantastic looking in space gray. I´m waiting for my 23d (sapphire black). Was wondering how your experience is with your X1 by now. Any major issues? How about accelleration and automatic gearbox? I´ve just posted a message, as the test reports around show pretty disappointing figures compared with BMWs own suggestions..., as well as some quite negative comments around gearbox in general...
Thanks!
Regards
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #25
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumiorava View Post
Hi all!

Just got this little beast couple of weeks ago and now had the time to take some proper pics.

-Atte
Been meaning to ask. Do you detail the car yourself? Paintwork on it looks absolutely fantastic ?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 03:07 AM   #26
kumiorava
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: e84 X1 xDrive23d A X-Line 2010

Garage List
2008 e91 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Hi Kumiorava!
Absolutely fantastic looking in space gray. I´m waiting for my 23d (sapphire black). Was wondering how your experience is with your X1 by now. Any major issues? How about accelleration and automatic gearbox? I´ve just posted a message, as the test reports around show pretty disappointing figures compared with BMWs own suggestions..., as well as some quite negative comments around gearbox in general...
Thanks!
Regards
Hi!

Thanks for the comments!

I have been very happy with the car. Haven't been any major issues. Right now I have been hearing some resonance noises from the back of the car, trunk lining perhaps.

I think the acceleration is very impressive compared to the weight of the car as well as the consumption. The auto gear box is ok. I have never been a fan of auto boxes but it really is the only reasonable option for this kind of a car.

-Atte
      08-16-2010, 03:13 AM   #27
kumiorava
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Garage List
2008 e91 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Been meaning to ask. Do you detail the car yourself? Paintwork on it looks absolutely fantastic ?
Hi!

I have only washed it myself, not waxed yet. I have had it for a month and a half now. I always wash it by hand and never using a machine car wash with brushes.

The pics are taken with professional lenses so that also adds up the quality and good look of the car and the paint.

-Atte
      08-16-2010, 03:35 AM   #28
DavidKinMingChan
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Hi!

I have only washed it myself, not waxed yet. I have had it for a month and a half now. I always wash it by hand and never using a machine car wash with brushes.

The pics are taken with professional lenses so that also adds up the quality and good look of the car and the paint.

-Atte
Your pics are very nice. What brand-name of the camera and lens did you use? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 05:46 AM   #29
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Hi!

-Atte
Really good photography then but I must say the paintwork does look superb as well.

If you are interested in waxing it yourself may I suggest Zymol, bit pricey but its the best I have used.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #30
kumiorava
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Garage List
2008 e91 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKinMingChan View Post
Your pics are very nice. What brand-name of the camera and lens did you use? Thanks.
Thanks!

Canon 40D SLR with 70-200mm 2.8 IS L and 17-55mm 2.8 IS

-Atte
      08-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #31
kumiorava
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Garage List
2008 e91 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Really good photography then but I must say the paintwork does look superb as well.

If you are interested in waxing it yourself may I suggest Zymol, bit pricey but its the best I have used.
Thanks!

I usually use Autoglym products. I have been really satisfied with them. Zaino is excellent also.

-Atte
      08-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #32
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
That's the way I treat mine as well (except for the E90 which needed to be put through an automatic car wash before drop off in Amsterdam, thanks to the springtime pollen in Europe and some nasty geese in Delft) and there is not a swirl in the finish in over 3 years.

You'll find that Space Gray is one of the easiest colors to live with. In the winter when my hoses are put away for over 4 months, I only do a rinse and it never looks like it really needs a good washing.

What color interior did you go with? I can't tell from the pic you posted.

...never mind. I just noticed the light color floormats so I guess it's beige?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #33
kumiorava
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Garage List
2008 e91 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
That's the way I treat mine as well (except for the E90 which needed to be put through an automatic car wash before drop off in Amsterdam, thanks to the springtime pollen in Europe and some nasty geese in Delft) and there is not a swirl in the finish in over 3 years.

You'll find that Space Gray is one of the easiest colors to live with. In the winter when my hoses are put away for over 4 months, I only do a rinse and it never looks like it really needs a good washing.

What color interior did you go with? I can't tell from the pic you posted.

...never mind. I just noticed the light color floormats so I guess it's beige?
Yes, beige.

The Space Grey seems to be an easy color, even easier than my previous Sparkling Graphite.
      08-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #34
Turhapuro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 s18d

Quote:
Eibach Pro-Kit
Can you please tell me how's the handling with the Eibach Pro-Kit? I just recently ordered mine with standard suspension, and am now thinking whether to have the Pro-Kit installed right away... But I don't want to spoil the handling just for looks, so can you please tell me how well the springs work with the standard shocks, and also if you didn't have the springs installed right away, please describe how it changed from standard. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #35
kumiorava
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Garage List
2008 e91 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhapuro View Post
Can you please tell me how's the handling with the Eibach Pro-Kit? I just recently ordered mine with standard suspension, and am now thinking whether to have the Pro-Kit installed right away... But I don't want to spoil the handling just for looks, so can you please tell me how well the springs work with the standard shocks, and also if you didn't have the springs installed right away, please describe how it changed from standard. Thanks!
I installed the Pro-Kit right away, so I can't make a comparison.

It looks 100-times better now as it is 30mm lower than original. The handling is ok as far as I am concerned. Of course it is stiffer and harder than normal.

The combination of Pro-Kit springs with OEM shocks is not the best, but I am not sure if it would be worth the money to buy new shocks either.

I have been quite satisfied with this setup. Good value for money, looks and handling.
      09-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #36
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
I installed the Pro-Kit right away, so I can't make a comparison.

It looks 100-times better now as it is 30mm lower than original. The handling is ok as far as I am concerned. Of course it is stiffer and harder than normal.

The combination of Pro-Kit springs with OEM shocks is not the best, but I am not sure if it would be worth the money to buy new shocks either.

I have been quite satisfied with this setup. Good value for money, looks and handling.
Kumiorava,

How do you find the interior space of this car compared to your former E91? I am thinking about the storage and cabin space as I have a little one and find that my E90 sedan is a bit cramped now in terms of cabin space and definately does not have enough cargo space!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #37
Turhapuro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 s18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Kumiorava,

How do you find the interior space of this car compared to your former E91? I am thinking about the storage and cabin space as I have a little one and find that my E90 sedan is a bit cramped now in terms of cabin space and definately does not have enough cargo space!
Kumiorava surely can answer that better, but having owned an E91 and test driven an X1, I can give my initial impressions.. There is practically no difference in the interior space, but the trunk feels quite a bit smaller. I didn't try the system on X1, but according to the brochure, you can adjust the backseats back to a 90-degree angle, so that it can still be used for uncomfortable seating while it gives quite a bit more trunk space.

Then, if you don't usually have passengers in the back seat (or only have 1 occasionally), you have plenty and then some space, with the backseat's back folded down. It can be folded down in 3 segments.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #38
kumiorava
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Garage List
2008 e91 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhapuro View Post
Kumiorava surely can answer that better, but having owned an E91 and test driven an X1, I can give my initial impressions.. There is practically no difference in the interior space, but the trunk feels quite a bit smaller. I didn't try the system on X1, but according to the brochure, you can adjust the backseats back to a 90-degree angle, so that it can still be used for uncomfortable seating while it gives quite a bit more trunk space.

Then, if you don't usually have passengers in the back seat (or only have 1 occasionally), you have plenty and then some space, with the backseat's back folded down. It can be folded down in 3 segments.
I agree with Turhapuro. The X1 is built on the same chassis plate, so it is almost the same size with e91. The extra clearance comes in handy for me nowadays compared to my previous slammed e91.
      09-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #39
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

X1 xDrive23d SE - Space grey, high specification

I took delivery of my X1 in April 2010, having traded in a low mileage Porsche Boxster Sport Edition for it, and am pleased to say that in my opinion the X1 'feels' almost as good to drive.

The Spec - Space Grey, red brown Nevada leather, Comfort package, sport suspension (I was worried that this would be very hard with the run flat tyres but in reality it is very comfortable, and if compared with my old Porsche...soft!), run flat tyres, blade spoke alloys, performance control, model designation deletion, reversing assist camera, windscreeen with grey shade, panoramic sun roof, ext mirrors folding, auto dimming, sport front seats, lumbar support, extended storage, seat heating front, fine brushed aluminium interior trim xenon headlights, adaptive headlights, navigation system professional (great hard disc for storing CD's), DAB radio, Headlining anthracite.

I actualy wanted an M version but as you know they don't exist at present, so I've investigated the AC Schnitzer options along with the twin double exhaust pipes from Hartge, but in view of the cost may just change for the new X3M when it comes out.

I've also experienced a high pitch 'screaching' noise from the front of the car at speeds of 75 > 80 mph, that sounds like a dry bearing, so am glad that there appears to be a fix.

Other 'issues'? - internal door pull handles 'feel' cheap and should be covered in leather. The reversing camera is great, but in poor weather conditions becomes misty (VW hide theirs behind the badge which tilts automatically when in use keeping the lens dry). Then there is an occasional 'clonk/metal buckling sound' from the air con at 16c on a hot day, something to do with expansion/contraction of materials perhaps, and very difficult to replicate? I'm sure that these small problems can be resolved so will be taking the car back to the dealership next week to discuss them. On a vehical costing the amount that it did there should be none of these problems. A point worth mentioning is that the service that I have recieved from BMW has been superb.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mulberry; 09-10-2010 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: New attachment
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #40
DavidKinMingChan
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry View Post
I took delivery of my X1 in April 2010, having traded in a low mileage Porsche Boxster Sport Edition for it, and am pleased to say that in my opinion the X1 'feels' almost as good to drive.

The Spec - Space Grey, red brown Nevada leather, Comfort package, sport suspension (I was worried that this would be very hard with the run flat tyres but in reality it is very comfortable, and if compared with my old Porsche...soft!), run flat tyres, blade spoke alloys, performance control, model designation deletion, reversing assist camera, windscreeen with grey shade, panoramic sun roof, ext mirrors folding, auto dimming, sport front seats, lumbar support, extended storage, seat heating front, fine brushed aluminium interior trim xenon headlights, adaptive headlights, navigation system professional (great hard disc for storing CD's), DAB radio, Headlining anthracite.

I actualy wanted an M version but as you know they don't exist at present, so I've investigated the AC Schnitzer options along with the twin double exhaust pipes from Hartge, but in view of the cost may just change for the new X3M when it comes out.

I've also experienced a high pitch 'screaching' noise from the front of the car at speeds of 75 > 80 mph, that sounds like a dry bearing, so am glad that there appears to be a fix.

Other 'issues'? - internal door pull handles 'feel' cheap and should be covered in leather. The reversing camera is great, but in poor weather conditions becomes misty (VW hide theirs behind the badge which tilts automatically when in use keeping the lens dry). Then there is an occasional 'clonk/metal buckling sound' from the air con at 16c on a hot day, something to do with expansion/contraction of materials perhaps, and very difficult to replicate? I'm sure that these small problems can be resolved so will be taking the car back to the dealership next week to discuss them. On a vehical costing the amount that it did there should be none of these problems. A point worth mentioning is that the service that I have recieved from BMW has been superb.
Where is the "X 1" symbol at the back of your car? Did you take it off yourself?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #41
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:

The Spec - Space Grey, red brown Nevada leather
Would love to see more interiors pics of the Red interior. Looks like a good alternative to Black & Oyster.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #42
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKinMingChan View Post
Where is the "X 1" symbol at the back of your car? Did you take it off yourself?
David, thanks for the question, no I didn't take the badging off myself, I ordered the car from the factory without any as part of the original specification.

If I ask AC Scnitzer to convert the body work with their retro fit Aero panels, and also to tune the engine to give 250 bhp I will probably have the car badged A C Scnitzer. Have a look at the photographs on their website as it's quite interesting to see what they have done to an X1.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #43
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep

Quote:
Would love to see more interiors pics of the Red interior. Looks like a good alternative to Black & Oyster.
I don't have any interior shots at present but will try to remember to take several today.

In my opinion it's a colour combination that works quite well because it lightens the interior. I felt that it was important to have the Anthracite head lining to avoid introducing to many competing colours. The Brushed Aluminium trim also compliments the Aluminium colours on the exterior (inc wheels) by linking the exterior with the interior.

I've used the same colour combination on an Audi TT and Porsche in the past. The BMW red is more brown than red, and had the option been avalable I would probably have chosen a darker chocolate brown instead
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2010, 01:02 PM   #44
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Quote:

Other 'issues'? - internal door pull handles 'feel' cheap and should be covered in leather. (...). On a vehical costing the amount that it did there should be none of these problems. A point worth mentioning is that the service that I have recieved from BMW has been superb.
Yes, the high pitch noise is a known issue (my X1 23d also had it, they fixed it).

As for the cheap plastics and the door pull handles, indeed they should have a much better quality in a car this expensive.
(In the passenger side, my door pull handles almost "cuts" your hand due to the rough edges!)

Also, driver door sometime rattles when driving through rough roads (it stops if you apply outward pressure on the door panel - making me thing it's just a simple case of tightening some bolts or screws.)

Again - the car is great and handles as a dream; but these minor flaws shouldn't happen in a "BMW"!
Appreciate 0