XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #23
jph1
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 28i xdrive

I had this problem also

I had about 3300 miles on the car and got the engine malfunction. A lot of engine vibration also. They changed the O2 sensor. It worked for about a half a day. Then the vibration came back along with the limp mode and warnings.

It turned out to be an injector. They were out of stock, none in US, waiting for parts in Germany. Two weeks later, got my car back. Runs fine. Still a little strange that they wouldn't have spare parts in the US.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #24
weichunc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

just bought my 2013 X1 4 weeks ago and had 2200 miles on it. I drove on the freeway this morning to work and all the sudden got the "engine malfunction and reduce power" message from onboard computer...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #25
xyz100
Private
Rep
Drives: Challenger

Appears that Cal vehicles affected by this issue. Guess BMW is trying to comply with tough emission laws by reducing engine power.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #26
weichunc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Just got a call from BMW service rep, they told me they need to replace the turbo charger unit because of its malfunction. My question is the car only had 2000 miles on it, how it that possible the turbo charger unit is no good.....
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #27
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Turbo failures are pretty uncommon for BMW but a broken waste gate is possible but those are easy to detect. I wonder if this will fix the problem.

Are most or all these reduced engine power problems isolated to the low emission N26 perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #28
BatManWins
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue X1 35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
Well I have had my X1 (sDrive28i) literally a week and yesterday, driving slowly in a shopping center parking lot, there was a loud BEEP and then a flashing message on the IDrive:

ENGINE MALFUNCTION - ENGINE IS OPERATING ON REDUCED POWER. GO TO YOUR NEAREST BMW CENTER.

:

I wonder what happens when someone puts diesel in a gas engine...or the other way around...

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #29
henryw
Rep
Drives: e84 sdrive

Had the same problem when test driving a F30 328i a few weeks ago. That car only had like 5 miles on it. Seriously, it really brings up my concern about the reliability of the new N20 turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #30
babu88
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 28i

I am in Canada. Had the same problem back in Jan this year. I only had the car for 4 weeks at the time. I was on a long trip on the highway when the engine light came on yellow and then engine starts shaking and decrease in power on the highway. The engine light became RED. It turns out the one of the injector was bad. Luckily there was 1 injector instock at another dealership. I got the car back in 2 days.

I made a complain to BMW relation and I they never got back to me. Today the engine light came on again. I am not happy with this one so far.
      12-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #31
greyguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i M, 2011 328i Cab,

Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullini View Post
Well I have had my X1 (sDrive28i) literally a week and yesterday, driving slowly in a shopping center parking lot, there was a loud BEEP and then a flashing message on the IDrive:

ENGINE MALFUNCTION - ENGINE IS OPERATING ON REDUCED POWER. GO TO YOUR NEAREST BMW CENTER.

We had been shopping, returned to the parked car, drove it a few minutes, nothing at all noticeably wrong, when this happened. We weren't far from home, and what are you going to do on a Saturday at 5pm? I doubt BMW service has emergency hours.

As we continued driving, traffic was fairly heavy, but it did seems as if the engine was working hard. Oh and the icon in the trip computer is an engine half-shaded in.

We had one more small stop on the way home, so I went ahead and parked. And when we came out and started the car, the message did not reappear. However, we were less than 5 minutes from home at that point.

So I will take the X1 out later today and see if on a longer drive, the message reappears. If so, I'll go straight to BMW Beverly Hills service tomorrow morning. If the message doesn't reappear, I'll just call and make an appointment to come in for an evaluation.

I did some searching for "BMW Engine malfunction - reduced power" and got a surprising number of hits, but for other models. Seems to be several possible causes, with fuel line problems frequently mentioned. We'll see...

any update about this warning? I experienced it 5 days ago aboiut 2 hours after filling gas. No obvious functional impairment of vehicle. I felt it was akin to the check engine warning and warning did go away after stopping the car and restarting a couple of times that day. It recurred tonight for no apparent reason. I'd thought I'd see if I can bring any thoughts here to the dealer I will be visiting now...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #32
dsx724
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 sDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyguy View Post
any update about this warning? I experienced it 5 days ago aboiut 2 hours after filling gas. No obvious functional impairment of vehicle. I felt it was akin to the check engine warning and warning did go away after stopping the car and restarting a couple of times that day. It recurred tonight for no apparent reason. I'd thought I'd see if I can bring any thoughts here to the dealer I will be visiting now...
What kind of gas are you using?
      12-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #33
greyguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

91 Octane. Gas cap closed appropriately.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #34
skychismo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

My dad had a similar issue with his M235i. Took three tries for the dealership to figure it out. In the end they ended up replacing part of the wiring harness.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #35
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

I'm the OP on this thread. That was over 2 years ago. The problem never reoccured with my X1. Continues to run fine. If it had happened again I would surely have taken the car in for a serious check.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2015, 12:15 PM   #36
greyguy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I had the warning come up about 5 times over a two week period. Service manager said it might be related to higher ethanol content in gas. I use Esso Premium and still do. I booked an appointment for after the holidays but cancelled as I had not seen the message for over three weeks.
Appreciate 0