United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Car Magazine Reviews

Car Magazine Reviews
I have to tell you folks that I'm always skeptical with most reviews I read. I'm especially skeptical of the ones in magazines that receive huge revenues from the car companies in the form of advertising.

So a plausible scenario Is the following: a writer for Road and Track or one of the other car magazines is invited to a cocktail party for the introduction of a new model car. He's wined and dined by car manufacturer's executives. Maybe there are some females there who flirt with the writer and it's a fun day for the writer. He gets to test drive the new model, eat some high quality food and hang out with some powerful people and beautiful women. In the meanwhile the advertising department at R&T has already collected money from the car manufacturer for advertising- lots of money.

Do you think it's possible that the writer may be influenced by the goings on that day? Do you think that it's possible that the advertising department who's going to place an ad in the very same magazine or electronic version of the magazine that the writer's review will appear may have some influence over the writer? Do you think that the writer would like to be invited back to an event in the future and is concerned that if he's too critical he won't be?

I'm involved in marketing, and also in politics. The unethical ways people conduct themselves AT TIMES is very disappointing.

I absolutely don't think my scenerio is the norm, but I KNOW it can happen.

I mostly rely on Consumer Reports for car reviews and secondly on people on these forums. You people are great! I love all the back and forth and objective and subjective commentary based on your love of cars and research.

Full disclosure, I'm a Republican, but I think the geeky, liberal, pink panty wearing guys who used to get their lunch stolen every day in high school, losers at Consumer Reports who couldn't get laid with a wad of 100 dollar bills at a whorehouse, are much more reliable than all the other car magazines combined. And the liberal women who work at CR who wear comfortable shoes and aren't even attractive enough for those same guys are equally reliable. They don't accept any advertising and that's all you mostly need to know about them. Oh, and they have a state of the art testing facility and buy all the cars they test secretly.

LOL, I truly look forward to your replies.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
I think liberals get laid more than conservatives.

Your theory is plausible. The pharmaceutical industry relies on these tactics to get their product to geeky republican, democrat, and independent doctors supply closet s. I bet there are a lot of BMW driving pharmaceutical sales reps on here.

On second thought, I think your post proves that X1 forums needs an off topic category for this kind of crap.

***edit***

I was just informed there is an off topic. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

Its ass holes that think they know all and its their way or no way and your weird if you do want to wear pink panties or what ever word description you have for the support of your ass and balls you chose to wear . I have a red pair on now and I never had my lunch stolen and I would love to see someone try and get it! This has nothing to do with a BMW X1 just a stick to poke to stir up a useless fuss...
      10-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
My apologies to BEAMERBOI who's been a wealth of information to me and I'm sure many others in this forum. I was joking around about the people that work for Consumer Reports- not anyone in this forum

The point of my posting was to see if others felt the way I did: skepticism about car magazine reviews with one exception- Consumer Reports. I respect CR's reviews and question most of the others. I think CR does a great job.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

This thread to be moved in 3....2.....1......
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
My apologies to BEAMERBOI who's been a wealth of information to me and I'm sure many others in this forum. I was joking around about the people that work for Consumer Reports- not anyone in this forum

The point of my posting was to see if others felt the way I did: skepticism about car magazine reviews with one exception- Consumer Reports. I respect CR's reviews and question most of the others. I think CR does a great job.