XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-06-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
2015 Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix

We all thought Mercedes will walk away with back to back wins in Malaysia. Ferrari stepped up the plate and put in a convincing win. However, Ferrari Technical Director James Allison did said, it will be hard for the Scuderia to replicate the win in Shanghai.

As track surfaces, track temperature and tire degradation are different compare to Malaysia. We might see Ferrari and teams having trouble to put enough heat into the tires.

Race Date: 12 Apr 2015
Circuit Name: SHANGHAI INTERNATIONAL CIRCUIT
First Grand Prix: 2004
Number of Laps: 56
Circuit Length: 5.451 km
Race Distance: 305.066 km
Lap Record: 1:32.239 - MICHAEL SCHUMACHER (2004)

Tire Compounds Provided:
Prime:
Medium (White)
Option: Soft (Yellow)
Rain: Cinturato Intermediate (Green) / Cinturato Wet (Blue)

F1 TIMETABLE (Shanghai Local Time)
Fri 10 April 2015
Practice 1
10:00 – 11:30
Practice 2 14:00 – 15:30
Sat 11 April 2015
Practice 3
12:00 – 13:00
Qualifying 15:00 – 16:00
Sun 12 April 2015
Race
14:00

F1 TIMETABLE (Pacific Time)
Fri 10 April 2015
Practice 1
(Thu) 19:00 – 20:30
Practice 2 (Thu) 23:00 – (Fri) 00:30
Sat 11 April 2015
Practice 3
(Fri) 21:00 – 22:00
Qualifying (Sat) 00:00 – 01:00
Sun 12 April 2015
Race
(Sat) 23:00

F1 TIMETABLE (Eastern Time)
Fri 10 April 2015
Practice 1
(Thu) 22:00 – 23:30
Practice 2 (Fri) 02:00 – 03:30
Sat 11 April 2015
Practice 3
00:00 – 01:00
Qualifying 03:00 – 04:00
Sun 12 April 2015
Race
02:00
Attached Images

04-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I'm hoping that Ferrari and maybe Williams is at least close enough that Lewis and Nico can't pit and re-enter the race as 1st and 2nd. That's when it becomes reaaally boring.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Hopefully the mercs have better tire strategy this time around, so they don't lose out to VET again
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #4
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Hoping for a Mclaren car to run the full race with incremental improvements to their pace.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I'm hoping Kimi gets a chance to run a clean race.
      04-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Pastor Maldonado: I've been a victim

Pastor Maldonado: I've been a victim

Pastor Maldonado claims he has been "a victim" of first corner contact at the opening two rounds of the season, but is confident his Lotus is capable of scoring points soon.

Maldonado retired from the opening race in Australia after his car was punted off in the second corner and in Malaysia he suffered an early puncture after contact with Valtteri Bottas. He believes he has been unlucky so far and unable to realise the full potential of the new Mercedes-powered Lotus.

"The first corner of a grand prix is always thrilling as you have to balance the opportunities to make up places with the risk of losing them," he said. "Certainly in the first two races this season I've been the victim of other drivers' incidents and that's racing sometimes. The first corners in Shanghai [at the next round] are quite interesting as you've got a decent run down to the right-hander that is turn one, but that flows straight into the tightening turn two so it can get pretty busy!"

Maldonado worked his way back to 12th in Malaysia before a brake problem forced him to retire.

"It was frustrating, especially as by the time I'd caught up with the cars ahead we'd developed an issue with the brakes so it was difficult to attack! It's racing. I've been a bit unlucky, especially in the first corners of the first two races but on the other hand we have a car which is more competitive and this says that we can fight for points through the season. The potential of the car is there, we just need to put everything together and the results will come soon."

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/12622304/victim
      04-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
McLaren drivers wary of low Shanghai temperatures

McLaren drivers wary of low Shanghai temperatures

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/04/0...-temperatures/

Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button suspect the cooler temperatures usually seen at this weekend’s Chinese Grand Prix will mitigate any progress McLaren have made with their car.

McLaren appeared to have gained at least a second of lap time in hot conditions at Sepang. But China’s round of the world championship is usually held in much lower temperatures.

“I don’t think our car package will be as well suited here as it was in Malaysia,” said Alonso, “especially if the weather is as cold and windy as it usually is in early springtime in Shanghai”.

“There is a feeling that the expected cooler weather will make it harder to generate tyre temperature,” Button explained, “which could mean that any progress we make doesn’t necessarily translate to a lap time benefit”.

“It’s a pity we didn’t finish the race in Malaysia,” he added. “We’d made solid progress up until that point in the weekend, and it would have been a fantastic boost to get a car home in amongst some of the cars in the midfield pack”.

“Still, it’s a target to aim for in China, and I hope we can build upon our pace and performance in Malaysia. However, China’s two long straights – each preceded by slow-to-medium-speed corners – will place extra emphasis on the power unit.”
      04-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
solstice
Major General
Rep

What? Cool weather will be bad for a tightly package engine vs. hot and humid? That's a new one. Sounds like their excuses matches the performance of the car...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

This will be a Merc 1-2 (I'm going to copy and paste this into every race thread for the rest of the season. It's probably going to be accurate 80-90% of the time).
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 11:39 AM   #10
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
What? Cool weather will be bad for a tightly package engine vs. hot and humid? That's a new one. Sounds like their excuses matches the performance of the car...
I don't think the problem will be cooling of the power unit. But like I said, generate enough heat to the tires to make it work.

Properly manage out laps are more tricky here in Shanghai.
      04-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #11
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
I don't think the problem will be cooling of the power unit. But like I said, generate enough heat to the tires to make it work.

Properly manage out laps are more tricky here in Shanghai.
Ok, that could be, anyhow it's likely a difference of being last or dead last anyway
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #12
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Come on Kimi.

Been to 19 F1 races since 2001... Not going back till they solve the sound issue. It's such a part of the experience. Watch it none the less.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #13
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok, that could be, anyhow it's likely a difference of being last or dead last anyway
Or worse, being DNF. Completing the race dead last (while feeling good about it).

C'mon McLaren!!!
      04-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #14
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Or worse, being DNF. Completing the race dead last (while feeling good about it).

C'mon McLaren!!!
Yes, my snarky comments is only due to utter disappointment. Last year was the first year for everyone including Benz with the new rules and last years Benz would run circles around this years Macca. I can't stand when they say how happy they are and what good progress they make, much faster than expected bla,bla,bla. For Christ sakes just tell the truth, it's a flipping disaster unworthy of Honda, McLaren, Alonso and JB and we will not stop working until we have fixed this POS. C'mon indeed!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:03 AM   #15
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

^ that's the Japanese for you. Hiding the truth about Nuclear Radiation, safety of Takata Airbags, Losses of companies (by printing money and have foreigners buying up currency), etc etc
      04-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #16
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

This is my last post for a while, I'm going on vacation

https://www.youtube.com/9gTKF3juN4M
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #17
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

...upload error I posted the error message in the site announcements area...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #18
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #19
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #20
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
More Honda power will result in snowball effect for McLaren performance

More Honda power will result in snowball effect for McLaren performance

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...en-performance

Jenson Button believes McLaren can expect a snowball effect in performance as it ups the power from its Honda engine.

McLaren has spent the first two races at the back of the grid, running its power unit at lower state of tune in order to gain mileage and make up for lost time during testing. The team is hoping to up the power of the Honda engine at each race and Button believes that will bring more performance on an increasing scale as the car becomes more fuel efficient.

"As soon as we can extract more power from areas and not have to turn things down we will hopefully find more than we expected in terms of power and lap time," he said.

"There is one engine that has more power than the others [Mercedes], there is one that is close to it [Ferrari] and there is another one that is quite a long way away from it [Renault] ... and then there's us.

"The biggest problem is that if you have a power deficit it is a [negative] snowball effect. We are all allowed to use the same amount of fuel, we spend more time at full throttle than the Mercedes so we use more fuel, which means you have to save more fuel, which means you are going even slower.

"It's a very difficult situation but we all knew that when the formula started and it was designed, so we can't really complain too much about it."

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier said the team made a big step between Australia and Malaysia.

"When you have more efficiency your first aim is to have more power and good aero efficiency - that is the only way to make sure your fuel consumption is down. The efficiency itself is also the engine. We have done a massive gain already compared to where we were in Australia and we are back in the normal fuel consumption now."
      04-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #21
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, my snarky comments is only due to utter disappointment. Last year was the first year for everyone including Benz with the new rules and last years Benz would run circles around this years Macca. I can't stand when they say how happy they are and what good progress they make, much faster than expected bla,bla,bla. For Christ sakes just tell the truth, it's a flipping disaster unworthy of Honda, McLaren, Alonso and JB and we will not stop working until we have fixed this POS. C'mon indeed!
Same feeling. I almost threw up when K.Mag said after Melbourne. "Felt like a win after Jenson completed the entire race." (Dead Last)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
^ that's the Japanese for you. Hiding the truth about Nuclear Radiation, safety of Takata Airbags, Losses of companies (by printing money and have foreigners buying up currency), etc etc
I must say, as an Asian, protecting reputation, "saving face". Is a quite old fashion and important culture.

Admit there's a problem, chin up and tackle it is just not something they (we) used to do. Sad but true.

People all hyped up about McLaren-Honda back in late 80's and early 90's. Was just because happens the Honda powered engine was like the Merc Power Unit now. Dominant. So everyone overlooked the cultural difference when problem arises. (Technical problem, not team-mate relationship)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
This is my last post for a while, I'm going on vacation

https://www.youtube.com/9gTKF3juN4M
Have a great one! =)
      04-08-2015, 10:14 AM   #22
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Mercedes sharpens weapons to beat Ferrari

Mercedes sharpens weapons to beat Ferrari

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...s-beat-ferrari

Mercedes says it has assessed every area of the Malaysian Grand Prix to ensure it overcomes the threat of Ferrari in China.

Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel won in Sepang, the first time Mercedes has been beaten on outright pace in the V6 turbo era. Team boss Toto Wolff says the result made Mercedes realise the fact Ferrari can pose a threat all season and it has reacted accordingly.

"We left Malaysia with plenty to think about," Wolff said. "It may have been a good result for the sport - but for us, it was a wake-up call. This is something you cannot afford to happen often and, although we had two cars on the podium, we have been looking very carefully at every area where we could have performed better.

"Our opposition has raised its game and we must now raise ours even further; as we have said since Melbourne, we expect a season-long battle for both world championships and we must maximise every opportunity. China is the next chance to do that - a circuit which has been a good hunting ground for the team.

"Lewis [Hamilton] has a great record here and for Nico [Rosberg], it's where he made his first step into the winners circle. We have the weapons at our disposal - and we need to make the most of them this weekend."

Quote:
"We have the weapons at our disposal - and we need to make the most of them this weekend." - Head of Mercedes-Benz Motorsport, Toto Wolff
Technical chief Paddy Lowe says tyre management has been the main focus since Sepang, where the team was unable to match Vettel's two-stop strategy.

"The most significant weakness was our tyre management during long runs. Exceptionally high track temperatures - even by Malaysian standards - contributed to this, however it is essential to have a car which performs at all circuits and in all conditions, so there is work to be done on that front.

"China presents a different challenge. Temperatures can vary dramatically year-on-year, but are generally quite low. It's also a front-limited circuit - the opposite of Sepang - with a good mix of corners and a long straight, so it will be interesting to see how the different cars perform at yet another circuit characteristic for this new season. It is now clearer than ever that there is serious competition for this world championship, so we will continue to work flat out for performance gains. We have a range of new aerodynamic developments for Shanghai and are targeting an improved performance from Malaysia."