Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-15-2010, 02:48 AM   #1
dimitris33
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Roof rails

Hi all,

Does anyone knows if the roof rails are removable??? If so, any instructions please??
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
nicholls
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

i dout it could be done nicely out of the factory i think the roof lining would have to come out and a strip or cast peice to fill the grove into which the rail mounts to replace the rail have a look at the youtube production of the x1 which shows the roof going onto the car might give you an idea of the work required .........may i ask why you want to remove the roof rails ?? in australia we can not order a car without them i have seen pics on the internet without and i think they look strange ?? i think on this site i read "with or without rails" ?? and they had some pics of both i would be interested to know what you decide ?? richard
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

At least in the Netherlands the car comes standard without the roof rails, you can have them as an option or together with the x-line package.
I chose not to order them since I don't see any use for them apart the visual effect, it just increases drag and aerodynamic noises.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan35 View Post
At least in the Netherlands the car comes standard without the roof rails, you can have them as an option or together with the x-line package.
I chose not to order them since I don't see any use for them apart the visual effect, it just increases drag and aerodynamic noises.
Or if you want to fit roof racks for bikes etc. Saying that you can fit the Thule ones without the rails. still need to get mine but will wait for summer.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Or if you want to fit roof racks for bikes etc. Saying that you can fit the Thule ones without the rails. still need to get mine but will wait for summer.
Totally agree, it's easier to fit roof racks, roof boxes etc. But on my previous car I never drove anything on the roof, so it's unlikely to change
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:30 AM   #6
dimitris33
Private
Rep

I've ordered mine with satin aluminium roof rails along with the x-line package but during the waiting period now I see that the roof rails are not so nice on it. Without them, the car looks bit wider from behind so the reason I'de like to remove them is just for styling purposes.

If they cannot be removed ok I'll live with them :-)))

If anyone however have an idea if and how can be removed without damaging the whole construction will be pleased to know.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #7
nockenpaul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Perhaps this may help you: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...&fg=20&lang=en
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
dimitris33
Private
Rep

Have to talked to my dealer lst night. The rails can be removed but THEY must do it because its not that easy to do it my self. They must de-assembly the whole roof from inside the car and unscrew the rails from inside. Its a bit risky (if not proper attention given might have some small cracks on the roof mat). He told me to think about it and proceed if I am 100pct sure for this because its again very difficult to put them on again if I dont like it...
Appreciate 0