XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Spanadog
Rep
Drives: X1

Help!! Can't Choose Between Msport Or Xline??

I'm just about to order my first BMW and am really struggling over the choice of model. My choice is between the Xdrive 18d Msport or the Xdrive 20d Xline (UK facelift 2012 versions).
Firstly, will there be a noticeable difference between the 18d and the 20d engines? I have only test drove the 18d and it seemed okay.
Secondly does anyone have an opinion on the asthetics of the cars- at the moment I can only see pictures of the Msport on the BMW car configurator and the Xline figures in the facelift launch pictures.
I was pretty much sold on the Msport but being a woman started fretting over the little things such as wheels, colour and interior. My problem is that whereas I like the bodykit/styling on the Msport I much prefer the wheel and interior options on the Xline (and I can afford the 20d engine in this model aswell).

My choices are thus:

Msport 18d in Valencia orange, black nevada leather interior with 19" Mdouble spoke (these look old-fashioned???) 225M wheels and sun protection package. This model has exterior trim and roof rails in high-gloss shadowline.

Xline 20d in Valencia orange, terra brown leather interior with 19" Vspoke 324 light alloy wheels in Ferric Grey and sun protection package. This model has chrome line exterior and chrome roof rails.

Finally..... should I get the new 8speed automatic transmission?? I have always had manual cars but am considering this option- big question though, will I still have power when overtaking?

Cheers, Kerry.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Since you are concerned about pulling power, you may want to consider the petrol engine 28i. A chap from Lancashire posted a review of the 28i engine/transmission combo over at the F30 forum. He used to own a diesel saloon prior to this, and was worried he would miss the torque of his old oil burner.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...1#post12250131
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
mrm83
Private
Rep
Drives: x1

the m kit looks so much better than the xline.. the xline;s front is like a big happy face..
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

The 20d engine (184hp) + the new eight speed sport auto are more sportier than 18d engine (143hp) + same sport auto... There is no problem with over passing once you select comfort or sport mode Only Eco Pro is very lazy

Test drive both and after that you can decide which is the best option for you!
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

I don't know how they do it in Europe, but one thing makes msport a winner in my book: performance control! (assuming xdrive)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Hi Kerry,

You've asked some good questions.

For what it's worth I would go for the M Sport with the 324 Ferric Grey alloys. Colour? well that's a personal opinion, but if you look at Bora's posts you may see something that you like (including the 324 alloys !!!Regarding the engine size ask yourself why you would want a car that 'looked' like a sports car but only had a 1.8 engine? I drive a 2.3 and it's really smooth and allows safe overtaking on our narrow roads. I've had the car just over two years now and am still happy with it. The facelift model only has slightly different wing mirrors on the M Sport version so will look like mine. The Xline version is a lot better than the old design.

Now here's the thing....my car has been both...(see my; not for the squeamish post) and what I did not like about the Xline was how difficult it was to keep the black plastic looking clean. It seemed to attract ingrained dirt that gave it a steaky greyish colour after a time no matter how often it was washed.

Hope this helps.

PS the larger wheels on run flats are fine but have a drive in a X1 fitted with them to be sure that you are happy with the ride. I like the firmness of the ride and handling, but it depends what you are used to.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

I forgot to mention that two other options that I would consider a priority would be the front and rear parking sensors and reversing camera. I've got both on my X1 and they make parking in tight spaces etc. almost a joy.

Regarding which wheel style to choose, don't forget that the M Sport will have sports suspension (lower/stiffer) and sports seats that the Xline doesn't, and this will make the 'feel' (ride/handling/comfort) of the models fitted with the same 19" alloys and runflats different.

Last edited by Mulberry; 07-06-2012 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 0