XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
anelson86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Swapping out black Sport Line mirror caps?

I'm contemplating changing my order (slated for production in week 23) from a no-line xDrive 28i to the sport line so that I can get the sport seats. My two hesitations in doing this are 1) cost - although I've seen a lot of good reviews for the sport seats, so I'm beginning to think it may be worth it and 2) I'm not really a fan of the black mirror caps (or the black interior trim for that matter).

The interior trim isn't that big of a deal, and I'm not about to pay $500 to go back to aluminium trim (I know, it's actual metal vs. painted, but still looks about the same) so I can live with that. However, I really don't like the look of the black mirror caps. I think it just makes the car look unfinished or like it's had cheap aftermarket add ons slapped on the outside. Does anyone know if it would be a simple swap to buy white caps (the car will be Alpine White) and then change them out for the black? It's not a huge deal, but if this were simple it would make me much more inclined to go with the sport package for those black and red seats!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

You could have them painted, it should be cheap enough and you could probably talk your dealer into doing it for "free". Or you could just have them wrapped, I'd imagine that would cost even less and be reversible if you ever decided to return it to stock.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
anelson86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You could have them painted, it should be cheap enough and you could probably talk your dealer into doing it for "free". Or you could just have them wrapped, I'd imagine that would cost even less and be reversible if you ever decided to return it to stock.
Unfortunately I don't have a dealer as such, but I was thinking about looking into getting them painted. I'm sure it wouldn't be too much to get just two mirror caps sprayed. Especially if I can make nice with the service dept. and just get it done when something else is getting sprayed the same color.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

M Sport and problems solved
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 02:56 AM   #5
anelson86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
M Sport and problems solved
Ah if only it were that easy. I'm not a fan of the paint matched trim. Both from an aesthetic standpoint and also practically. Living in IL where we get lots of winter road salt I can imagine how hacked up that paint will get. Add to it I'd like the black leather with red accents from the sport line rather than just black.

It all comes back to the complaint that's been around a lot lately - this line business really prevents people from getting the car optioned as they'd like.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson86 View Post
It all comes back to the complaint that's been around a lot lately - this line business really prevents people from getting the car optioned as they'd like.
+100!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
anelson86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Well I went ahead and added the Sport Line to my order today. I think it's going to result in me doing a bit more exterior mods to the car, but I think having the sport seats will ultimately make me happier with the purchase.

I am thinking I may plasti-dip the black portions of the car (side skirts and lower back bumper) as I haven't really liked how the high gloss black looks in some of the images. Has anybody on the forum done this? I haven't seen it anywhere in my browsing.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Well I went ahead and added the Sport Line to my order today. I think it's going to result in me doing a bit more exterior mods to the car, but I think having the sport seats will ultimately make me happier with the purchase.
it will. I can't imagine doing any kind of Driving without them.
Granted, I have a bad back, so my opinion may be biased.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
anelson86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
it will. I can't imagine doing any kind of Driving without them.
Granted, I have a bad back, so my opinion may be biased.
Well, so much for the plan to have the Sport Line added. I placed my order on May 1, and contacted my dealer on the 13th to add the sport line package. At that time they said it shouldn't be an issue and I was slated for a production date in the first week of June. Last week I got my VIN and entered it into the MyBMW tracking system to find that the change order wasn't included in listing on the BMW site.

I contacted the dealer who said apparently the change order wasn't received in time (which makes me think it was never sent). Add to that, my original order (with my signature on it) indicated that I ordered paddle shifters, but the MyBMW site does not show that option listed. Needless to say, I'm a bit curious to see what shows up when I get the car in a few months. If the sport line isn't there I can live with it since I decided to add it after the initial order, but if the paddle shifters aren't there I may be doing a search for vehicles off a dealer's inventory.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Well, so much for the plan to have the Sport Line added. I placed my order on May 1, and contacted my dealer on the 13th to add the sport line package. At that time they said it shouldn't be an issue and I was slated for a production date in the first week of June. Last week I got my VIN and entered it into the MyBMW tracking system to find that the change order wasn't included in listing on the BMW site.

I contacted the dealer who said apparently the change order wasn't received in time (which makes me think it was never sent). Add to that, my original order (with my signature on it) indicated that I ordered paddle shifters, but the MyBMW site does not show that option listed. Needless to say, I'm a bit curious to see what shows up when I get the car in a few months. If the sport line isn't there I can live with it since I decided to add it after the initial order, but if the paddle shifters aren't there I may be doing a search for vehicles off a dealer's inventory.
If your initialized order lists paddle shifters, and the VIN is for a vehicle without them, refuse to take possession.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #11
anelson86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
If your initialized order lists paddle shifters, and the VIN is for a vehicle without them, refuse to take possession.
That is the plan. It's not clear if the vehicle will have them or not, but I plan to call the BMW 800 number this week and check with them. I'd prefer to know before taking delivery so I don't have to wait 2-3 more months to order another or else find one on the lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
I'd prefer to know before taking delivery so I don't have to wait 2-3 more months to order another or else find one on the lot.
this would be my plan and I'd order again and make sure the Sport seats are included. You must find out why the Paddle Shifters weren't included or the process may fail again.
GL!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
anelson86
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
this would be my plan and I'd order again and make sure the Sport seats are included. You must find out why the Paddle Shifters weren't included or the process may fail again.
GL!
Called the BMW USA phone number today and they couldn't give me any information about the specs on the car. She assured me that if the dealer said that the car had paddle shifters it would. I went ahead and looked at the BMW vin lookup site and according to that it does have the sport steering wheel and paddle shifters. Unfortunately it looks like my dealer was too late to get the change order to get the sport line, but I should at least be getting the vehicle how I originally ordered it. As I've seen a few sport lines around lately and haven't really liked the high gloss bits on it I'm not too upset about it, just a bit miffed that I can't get the red stitching in a non sport line!
Appreciate 0