XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #45
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I don't want to make you guys feel bad that didn't get the paddle shifters but my M Sport has them and I never use them. It might be becausevI have a 335 convertible with manual and I get my ya ya's out with it. I kind have have got addicted to the Eco Pro and try to see what mileage I can squeeze out of it verses running it hard. It's my wife's X1 so she really doesn't care about them.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 01:15 PM   #46
Irish-Texan
BannerMan
Ireland
Rep
Drives: X3 35i MSport / X1 28ix MSport

Ironic that you should post almost my exact thoughts!
Other than trying them out to see how they actually work, I have not used them at all. SWMBO is the primary driver, and she rarely, if ever, uses them either.
However, they were a zero cost option and improve the aesthetics from the drivers view. They may also make it more attractive to a buyer when the inevitable future sale happens.

Also, I have paddle shifters in my X3, and those also see little or no use. They were not a selectable option but came as standard with the package options chosen.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #47
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Thing is, I'm used to a Saab 9-5, where I use the paddle shifters extensively, both for engine braking, and to do a quick downshift before overtaking, or to temporarily stay in gear at slightly higher rev than what the auto would pick.

Anyhow, thanks for the pic!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #48
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

Been using flappy paddles on automated manuals/dual clutch and autos equipped with them for years now, completely used to and enjoy staying in manual mode and flipping through the gears myself so I wouldn't contemplate an X1 without them. Strange how BMW configured the way to order it on the M Sport and didn't just have them by default
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #49
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish-Texan View Post
Had several questions (in August) about the X1 before ordering, as the online configurator was imperfect/unclear.
Asked my SA for a copy of the order guide, brought it home and did some homework as I wanted to be clear on what decisions I was about to make (after all, this is a significant purchase).
How to ensure I get the paddle shifters? Read the order guide and identified the line item that included them as a zero cost option on the order.
Can I order the satin finish wood trim on an M-Sport? No (verified with SA).
Can I special order black headliner on a Sport or XLine? Unclear, but my SA sent a query to BMW Germany. Within 48 hours got the response that black headliner would not be installed (and could not be special ordered) in any line other than MSport.
Can I get MSport with a heated steering wheel? No (verified with SA).

SWMBO and I made our decision on what X1 options to order, SA entered and printed the order, and we then went through the order line by line with our SA initialling our specific selectons (e.g. paddle shifters). Seems to me this is a critical part of the process, but not all SA's take the trouble and time, or maybe are just not equipped with sufficient product ordering knowledge.
Order released, X1 subsequently arrived exactly as ordered (with paddle shiters).

We did our homework before ordering to eliminate potential unpleasant surprises from negligence on our part, and also our SA was outstanding.
I always remember the legal expresion "Buyer Beware" and am willing to spend some time preparing before ordering.

Sorry to read that many folks have been disappointed by the paddle shifter issue, but it would seem that there are quite a few SA's who are less than expert on custom orders. If you are about to custom order, make sure you read the order line by line, ask questions, and initial your selections before it is released.

Happy trails y'all...
Nice post. Thanks! I stopped by my SA yesterday afternoon to ask if he's ever had anyone come in for shift paddle retrofit (not just for E84s) and after some talking about other things went and looked through the car legalese that is the ordering guide. It seems this should be a non-issue since paddles should be standard on the M Sport line as of the end of October 2012.

Curious, but for those that didn't get paddles but had ordered (or thought they did) them, when did you put your order in?

On a side note, you guys weren't kidding when you said the glove box was small! It's even smaller than on my coupe! Good thing there are a lot of little storage nooks in the back. Owners manual would go in one of them if I wind up w/ a X1.
      01-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #50
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Curious, but for those that didn't get paddles but had ordered (or thought they did) them, when did you put your order in?
When you create the order and when the dealer puts the order in can be quite different dates, alas.
I ordered it verbally on 9/30, signed papers and made deposit on 10/4, and the order does indeed say 7XA.
It went into the production queue on 11/23, and production a few days later.

But the thing out in my driveway does not have paddle shifters. It's not my car, and I haven't driven it a single mile. Money won't fix this one - only getting me what I ordered.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #51
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
But the thing out in my driveway does not have paddle shifters. It's not my car, and I haven't driven it a single mile. Money won't fix this one - only getting me what I ordered.
I hear ya.

Having never ordered a car before, if you do not take delivery do you lose your deposit? In the case of the vehicle coming in not per order, does that make a difference?
      01-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #52
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Why did you accept delivery?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #53
nospam
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Having never ordered a car before, if you do not take delivery do you lose your deposit? In the case of the vehicle coming in not per order, does that make a difference?
You should not lose your deposit because they breached (assuming you refuse delivery). If you accept delivery you don't have much legal recourse. A couple other members on the board made the dealer reorder to get the paddles. This is the route I will take (all-though I am confident mine is coming with paddles as my dealer had several rotting on the lot that they had ordered without paddles).

Another member reordered simply because they changed their mind and wanted xDrive instead of sDrive. I don't think they lost their deposit.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #54
MPowerF1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i DCT

I guess what I am confused about is why the steering wheel simply can't be retrofitted after the fact. I know there are a number of websites that will sell you the steering wheel and I can't imagine there being anything beyond a simple software update required to get the paddles working.

In no way would I wait an extra 3 months for a new car to be ordered. I would simply insist that this was the dealer's and BMW's mistake which they will fix by covering the cost to retrofit the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #55
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Why did you accept delivery?
I signed the paper one day, they delivered the car the next day.
Only then did I find out that it wasn't what I ordered.
I (foolishly, it seems) had expected the dealer to verify the car against the order before they took delivery of it from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #56
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
I signed the paper one day, they delivered the car the next day.
Only then did I find out that it wasn't what I ordered.
I (foolishly, it seems) had expected the dealer to verify the car against the order before they took delivery of it from BMW.
Technically, you don't have to take it...or didn't. Taking delivery of a vehicle requires that the vihicle be driven off the lot and you are on your way home. Driving it around the block as an initial test-drive does NOT qualify as actual taking delivery. All this regardless of any deposit that may have changed hands. In most states that I'm aware of, any deposit is completely refundable upon demand.
Anyway, as much as I would prefer to have them on mine, I find I don't really miss them that much
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #57
nospam
Captain
Rep

According to BMWVin.com my car was built with paddles. I'll know for sure in a few weeks and will verify before accepting delivery.

Quote:
Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)
S6UHA TRAFFIC INFORMATION Traffic Information
S6VCA STEUERUNG COMBOX Control for Combox
S715A M AERODYNAMIKPAKET M Aerodynamics package
S760A INDIVIDUAL HOCHGLANZ SHADOW LINE High gloss shadow line
S775A INDIVIDUAL DACHHIMMEL ANTHRAZIT Headlining anthracite
P7KBA NAVIGATIONPAKET PROFESSIONAL Navigation package 'Professional'
S7XAA M LEDERLENK.+SCHALTWIP.+MULTIF. M Leathr. wheel+shift paddle+multifunc.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #58
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Well, my car is back at the dealers' now, to get the correct steering wheel fitted.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #59
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Well, my car is back at the dealers' now, to get the correct steering wheel fitted.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Well that's interesting ... both the dealership and BMW customer service told me the paddle shifters cannot be retrofitted. I don't believe I'm the only one that heard that same story. And I was just reading how luxury car makers are so much better at providing a superior buying experience and customer service.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #60
nospam
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
Well that's interesting ... both the dealership and BMW customer service told me the paddle shifters cannot be retrofitted. I don't believe I'm the only one that heard that same story.
My dealer said the same thing. However, we know that paddle shifters can be retrofitted.

http://www.mrpaddleshift.com/index_after.htm
http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html

My guess is that BMW will start offering their own retrofit kits to their dealers over this X1 issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #61
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Update: BMW NA says the paddle shifters cannot be retrofitted, at least not without breaking the warranty. Whether or not you have paddle shifters would change the calculated part of the VIN and throw an exception code.

As I would not back down on the shifters, given that I had taken extra steps twice during ordering to ensure that they would be there, and never took possession of the car, the dealer ordered a new one.

Getting BMW North America to tell in writing or taped conversation why they changed the order after the fact appears to be impossible. I'm not impressed with BMW NA's CYA mentality. Not one bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #62
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Well then let me first say this sucks for you guys who want paddles. I'm one of those folks who wants and uses them, and was a no sell for any car that didn't have them. Which out of the D/FW area there were two X1 M Sports and neither had paddles shifters so I didn't get them. I got a Sport that did.

When I mentioned this oddity to my salesman, as to why neither M Sport had paddles shifters his response was "Well most people don't use paddles shifters" to which I responded. Most folks who want M Sport packages like paddles shifters . . . .

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #63
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
"Well most people don't use paddles shifters" to which I responded. Most folks who want M Sport packages like paddles shifters . . . .
How the hell does he know that? Has he done a poll? What a tool.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #64
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Oh, I can fully believe that most drivers won't use paddle shifters. But those who explicitly order them probably will.
And those who order an M-Sport line, which already requires more of the driver due to harder suspension and less understeer, are likely to be the ones taking advantage of paddle shifters too.

I can't think of a reason to have an M-Sport without them, and especially not the 35i N55 with the six-speed that has a larger rpm range per gear as well as higher torque, allowing the driver to deviate more without automatic safeguards overriding the driver's choice.
If anything, I think it should be sold with paddles by default and standard as an option.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #65
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

The fact that the N55 has a nearly flat power band sort of negates the value of actually shifting. My wife has gone five years now with an N54 and an N55 with no paddles, and I've tried my best to justify manually shifting her cars, but ultimately just go back to DS and let it do it's thing.

I could see wanting them for track use, but don't see the X1 (M Sport or not) being a very amusing track car.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #66
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The fact that the N55 has a nearly flat power band sort of negates the value of actually shifting. My wife has gone five years now with an N54 and an N55 with no paddles, and I've tried my best to justify manually shifting her cars, but ultimately just go back to DS and let it do it's thing.

I could see wanting them for track use, but don't see the X1 (M Sport or not) being a very amusing track car.
The thing is the power falls off big up top. So paddles are actually fairly useful. DS goes to redline practically, where you want to shift around 6000rpm to keep it in the band.
Appreciate 0