08-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
robswall18
Registered
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F30 330e, F10 520d

Sdrive....heavy steering..

Hi E84'ers,

Loving my manual Sdrive but am very surprised with the heaviness of the steering, there is pratically no assistance compared to my new 320i Sport.. Anyway I would appreciate your feedback, just in case there is anything wrong? I mistakenly though there may be a setting to change the power assistance, but nothing in handbook... I can live with it, but compared to other car its a marked difference!!

Cheers,

Martin
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robswall18 View Post
Hi E84'ers,

Loving my manual Sdrive but am very surprised with the heaviness of the steering, there is pratically no assistance compared to my new 320i Sport.. Anyway I would appreciate your feedback, just in case there is anything wrong? I mistakenly though there may be a setting to change the power assistance, but nothing in handbook... I can live with it, but compared to other car its a marked difference!!

Cheers,

Martin
Hi Martin, welcome here.

What are you comparing it to? I am still waiting for my X1 but have test driven them extensively and cannot say that it much different from my Golf+. Its a lot heavier than my Mini but then that not a car, its a go-kart
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Hi Martin, welcome here.

What are you comparing it to? I am still waiting for my X1 but have test driven them extensively and cannot say that it much different from my Golf+. Its a lot heavier than my Mini but then that not a car, its a go-kart
Comparing to a Golf, does the test drive car had the servotronic option? I have the servotronic and I think it is still a lot heavier then my Golf GT. No compaints The response and the stiffness of the steering wheel is just perfect in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
JoeSay
Australia
Rep
Drives: E84 X1 sdrive20d

I've had mine for almost 2 weeks now, and have noticed that the steering can be a little heavy when going very slow - for example, backing out of the driveway. But with speed it gets better.

I quite like the sterring - it feels more connected to the road than any other car i have driven - albeit a bit on the heavy side when parking.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
DavidKinMingChan
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSay View Post
I've had mine for almost 2 weeks now, and have noticed that the steering can be a little heavy when going very slow - for example, backing out of the driveway. But with speed it gets better.

I quite like the sterring - it feels more connected to the road than any other car i have driven - albeit a bit on the heavy side when parking.
Please post some pics of your X1. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozdal View Post
Comparing to a Golf, does the test drive car had the servotronic option? I have the servotronic and I think it is still a lot heavier then my Golf GT. No compaints The response and the stiffness of the steering wheel is just perfect in my opinion
Yes the test cars did have servotronic. Mine is also a Golf GT but its the bigger version, called a Golf Plus here in Europe, so maybe a bit heavier than a normal Golf. Then again the X1 is also a bigger car.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSay View Post
I quite like the sterring - it feels more connected to the road than any other car i have driven
+1

IMHO, this is what differentiates BMW's from any other car on the road. They all handle like they're on rails. Makes considering any other brand very difficult, as long as you prefer the road worthiness of a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
Ply-BMW-X1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 20d xdrive

I had a Golf GTI and my X1 does feel a bit heavier. However I think most BMW has heavy steering
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
gauthier
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3 20d / K1200S

compared to my previous E90, steering is definitly heavier
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Yes the test cars did have servotronic. Mine is also a Golf GT but its the bigger version, called a Golf Plus here in Europe, so maybe a bit heavier than a normal Golf. Then again the X1 is also a bigger car.
I didn't know that Golf Plus has GT version, we also had Golf Plus in Turkey market for years but only with 1.6 liter version. Regarding the other posts, I found it lighter than E90, also one of my friends said it is much more lighter than his E92. Its a bit relative issue to compare to other cars maybe
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozdal View Post
I didn't know that Golf Plus has GT version, we also had Golf Plus in Turkey market for years but only with 1.6 liter version. Regarding the other posts, I found it lighter than E90, also one of my friends said it is much more lighter than his E92. Its a bit relative issue to compare to other cars maybe
Yep, they sold the Golf+ here as a petrol 2.0l GT in 2005/06. They discontinued it as everyone in the UK is diesel crazy. Very nice car to drive, bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing. I have never liked diesel cars .....until I drove the X1 Still would have liked the X1 in a 2.5 or 3.0l petrol though. I have spoken to BMW UK and they have told me that it aint gonna happen here. My dealer says thats its too expensive for them to convert the petrol to a RHD for what is a small market here for petrols.

Anyway happy with the 2.0l diesel I drove. Gonna sell the Golf () and Mini () soon and get something faster.....and petrol......
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep
Drives: X1 1.8d sDrive

Hi,

there is no servotronic option for sDrive models (at least not in Germany). The X1 also does not yet have EPS (electric powerd steering) - it's still hydraulic.

bye
Darky
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #13
JoeSay
Australia
Rep
Drives: E84 X1 sdrive20d

I also own a Mazda 2 which has electric power steering, and I must say, I'm not a huge fan of it. Whilst it is a fair bit lighter, it just doesn't feel as precise and connected to the road as the X1. I much prefer a slightly heavier feel if it means I get more precise control.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
Equal
Rep
Drives: 2010 X1 Space Grey XLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by robswall18 View Post
Hi E84'ers,

Loving my manual Sdrive but am very surprised with the heaviness of the steering, there is pratically no assistance compared to my new 320i Sport..
Welcome to the club! I felt the same way too on the first few days after I picked mine up.

Try the Xdrive version, I believe it's even more heavy than the rear-wheel model!

I bet after you get used to the weight, it will reward you at very single turn

Just a note, try measure the steering wheel diameter of the 2 cars that you owned. I believe the x1 has a smaller dia. steering, and that's one of the reasons as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
DavidKinMingChan
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal View Post
Welcome to the club! I felt the same way too on the first few days after I picked mine up.

Try the Xdrive version, I believe it's even more heavy than the rear-wheel model!

I bet after you get used to the weight, it will reward you at very single turn

Just a note, try measure the steering wheel diameter of the 2 cars that you owned. I believe the x1 has a smaller dia. steering, and that's one of the reasons as well.
What model is your new X1? When did you order yours and how long did you wait for the delivery? Please post some pics. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #16
Equal
Rep
Drives: 2010 X1 Space Grey XLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKinMingChan View Post
What model is your new X1? When did you order yours and how long did you wait for the delivery? Please post some pics. Thanks.
I ordered mine back in late Feb, produced in April and picked up around mid July. It's a Xdrive 25i. Handling is pretty good compared to my old e87 130i. Good driving position, ease of getting in and out especially w/ babies
It will take you awhile to get used to the steering weight especially in those tight parking lot, trust me.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #17
Diesel-King
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive18d

My X1 is an sdrive and I have no complaints on the steering....
It is OK; not heavy at all and quite precise (as usual for a BMW...)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #18
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Yep, they sold the Golf+ here as a petrol 2.0l GT in 2005/06. They discontinued it as everyone in the UK is diesel crazy. Very nice car to drive, bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing. I have never liked diesel cars .....until I drove the X1 Still would have liked the X1 in a 2.5 or 3.0l petrol though. I have spoken to BMW UK and they have told me that it aint gonna happen here. My dealer says thats its too expensive for them to convert the petrol to a RHD for what is a small market here for petrols.

Anyway happy with the 2.0l diesel I drove. Gonna sell the Golf () and Mini () soon and get something faster.....and petrol......
Golf Plus with a 2.0 TSFI It is really a wolf in sheeps clothing like you say My GT is a 1.4 TSI 170cv with DSG and it is really fun to drive My dad was also a diesel hater but after driving the X1 and E90 20d, he also became a diesel fan. Our market is even worse than yours, we only have the xDrive20d option for X1.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #19
robswall18
Registered
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F30 330e, F10 520d

Thanks everyone for your replies - I'm very satisfied now this is a positive characteristic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #20
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep
Drives: X1

I haven't driven any SAVs. However, comparing to Mazda 6 and Mitsubishi Lancer X, I should say that my X1's steering is heavier and it's harder to keep the X1 straight on the road channel. Nope, I haven't purchased the servotronic option.
Appreciate 0