XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

02-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Cat Thread

Now a cat thread. Post pics of your cat.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 02-09-2016 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Looks like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.

But in all seriousness,a positive attitude and the desire to live a minimalist lifestyle maybe the answer to better times.
Many get sucked into the trap of living a certain standard of living then they find out that maintaining it can be downright exhausting.....don't get stuck there it's either you further your knowledge to pay you more or cut back the spending and live more comfortably but with less stuff.
This is not all encompassing but it may be the ticket to better times..... have lived poor and have lived rich....and much prefer the latter but can say I was very happy being poor as I had no worries other than basic necessities.
Appreciate 6
      02-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Looks like somebody's got a case of the Mondays.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
Xiaoxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a Miata

As much as 100% leisure sounds peachy on paper, I personally realize that I have a need to be productive. When I'm not being productive, I get depressed and lethargic. So work is not just a necessity in terms of money, but also personal growth / well-being. Leisure just doesn't become enjoyable or rewarding anymore when there's no challenge in life to balance it out.

It helps that I like my jobs... and that my work hours bypass peak traffic so I can enjoy driving every day.
Appreciate 4
      02-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #5
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Normally, being in OT gets me through work.
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
VB5ER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey 2011 535i

Been on vacation for a month and ready to get back to work. Being productive and part of something bigger than yourself is rewarding. Very few people have a job they love but you should at least like what you do if possible. Anyway Monday's be like..
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Ever sit at work or doing whatever you do to make money and think, this is such a waste of time?

We literally spend 1/3 or more of our adult life actually working and even more preparing for work (driving in, getting ready in the morning, sleeping early bc you have to work).

There is a certain amount of frustration with this reality, but I stop and think of the alternative.

No work = No fun.

Not trips. No cars. No nice things. We can choose not to work, but we have to live like a bum and worry about money...we don't like that, so we work (unless we have rich family, win the lotto, etc).

There are exceptions to every rule as I mentioned, but most of us have to work to do the things we enjoy doing. Yet, we have to work so much, the time we have to do those things is fleetingly finite. If we choose not to work, we would not have money to do what we want, so the cycle continues.

It's depressing to know we are paid just enough to keep the hamster wheel going, but never enough to stop the cycle early or do enough things to feel satisfied. We're always working, saving, and spending...rinse and repeat.

Depressing.

Marx was kind of right.
That depends on what you want. If you want to drive a M4 have a 3000sf house in the burbs with a 4 car garage. Yeah, you likely have to keep working at the rate you are.

But if you want to drive a 1983 jeep wrangler, spend 4 out of 7 days a week hiking, biking, rafting in the smokeys, you can get a far less intensive and intrusive job to make that happen. Maybe even doing something you enjoy like be a rafting guide, or biking guide, etc...

So be depressed about wanting an M4 and a house in the burbs rather than having to work more than 1/3 of your life to attain it.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 02-08-2016 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 5
      02-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #8
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Most people that do not enjoy time off for an extended period of time are people that do not have enough hobbies and will be very dissapointed in the their retirement. I think the Business Owners (go getters) that create their own schedule are the most satisfied, even with the heightened stress level. I can tell you, I work a 9-5 but if I was currently given the option to work 100% for myself for 75% of the money... I would ask, where do I sign up?
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2016, 12:16 PM   #9
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Ever sit at work or doing whatever you do to make money and think, this is such a waste of time?

We literally spend 1/3 or more of our adult life actually working and even more preparing for work (driving in, getting ready in the morning, sleeping early bc you have to work).

There is a certain amount of frustration with this reality, but I stop and think of the alternative.

No work = No fun.

Not trips. No cars. No nice things. We can choose not to work, but we have to live like a bum and worry about money...we don't like that, so we work (unless we have rich family, win the lotto, etc).

There are exceptions to every rule as I mentioned, but most of us have to work to do the things we enjoy doing. Yet, we have to work so much, the time we have to do those things is fleetingly finite. If we choose not to work, we would not have money to do what we want, so the cycle continues.

It's depressing to know we are paid just enough to keep the hamster wheel going, but never enough to stop the cycle early or do enough things to feel satisfied. We're always working, saving, and spending...rinse and repeat.

Depressing.

Marx was kind of right.
Yes, add me to the list. I have a job which pays well but is completely unsatisfying, feels like a waste of time (I could care less about the mission of my organization), and the people aren't that bad but definitely aren't that great. I also feel like the job just gets me to the next day, week, month, paycheck or whatever. This is definitely not the job or area I'd have if I wanted it to be ideal, but then again the grass is always greener, right?

Also, we spend 1/3 of our entire lives SLEEPING. That's a serious waste of time lol
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcher22 View Post
Also, we spend 1/3 of our entire lives SLEEPING. That's a serious waste of time lol
I can't remember the last time *I* got 8 hours of sleep in a 24-hour period.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #11
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Spend less now...
Adjust expectations...
Invest money...
Retire early and then try and do fun things.

Or you can get a job you enjoy doing.

I don't necessarily agree with this 100%, but this is the story of the American Banker talking to a Mexican fisher.

http://bemorewithless.com/the-story-...can-fisherman/
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2016, 09:56 PM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Before I got into IT, I worked in a small environmental engineering firm. I was the staff geologist. For the first year or so I did mostly field work and built/installed remediation systems. I loved it and I learned a ton. Then the senior scientist got let go and suddenly I was the primary report writer. Few things in life are as boring as environmental reports. That felt like a huge waste of time. It didn't take me long to find another career.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #13
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Spend less now...
Adjust expectations...
Invest money...

I don't necessarily agree with this 100%, but this is the story of the American Banker talking to a Mexican fisher.

Practically my entire mantra is saving and investing. It's all I do.

I'm a finance guy through and through...make good money, but no satisfaction in the concept of working. I max 401k, max Ira, and invest at least 1 paycheck monthly in my brokerage account.

I think I'll be happy I can retire early, but I feel like crying at work.
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #14
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Work hard, play harder. That's the quote I tell myself when I feel like I'm working myself too hard. Owning a restaurant is a lucrative business. While being handcuffed to the business, the golden money is hard to resist. The long hours and back breaking work is unbearable at times, but the reward is having the things you want in life and enjoying them whenever the opportunity presents itself. "Work Hard, Play harder" men
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 10:58 PM   #15
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I say that everyday, so I decided to go back to school and work on an engineering degree.
      02-08-2016, 11:05 PM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

The part that is frustrating is the hamster wheel is self imposed. A man is rich in proportion to the things he can afford to let alone.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 12:00 AM   #17
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I feel like that most of the time at work. Still searching for THE job/career.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 01:28 AM   #18
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:

Depressing.
The only thing depressing is your fucking attitude. If there was a test for this, you'd be perma-unemployed. Holy shit dude...

How about being a tad bit creative and work smarter instead of harder. What makes you happy? Try helping people...it feels great. Invent a widget that people need...make tons of money. How about this for rinse and repeat...try, fail, try, fail, repeat until success. Hamster wheel? Try stepping off.
Appreciate 6
      02-09-2016, 03:08 AM   #19
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

^ this chick knows what's up.
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #20
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

The part that gets to me the most is that I drop my daughter off at 6:30 AM and pick her up at 4:30. Just so I can work. That's 10 hours a day. Everyday. When we get home, she goes to bed at 8. I mean I hardly get to see my own child just so I can work, that's pretty bothersome and there's nothing I can do about it.
Appreciate 3
      02-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #21
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Spend less now...
Adjust expectations...
Invest money...

Practically my entire mantra is saving and investing. It's all I do.

I'm a finance guy through and through...make good money, but no satisfaction in the concept of working. I max 401k, max Ira, and invest at least 1 paycheck monthly in my brokerage account.

I think I'll be happy I can retire early, but I feel like crying at work.
Get married, have kids?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #22
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
I never agree with you, but I totally agree with you on this. That's the tough part of all this. We need the job to make money to support those we love, but in doing so, we miss out on a lot (growing up years in particular).

I know people like C5 are going to say, "just do it better. Do charity. Start your own biz." etc etc. All that is great, but you're going to either have to work even harder to have your own biz or give up a lot of the money to have more time.

99% of us have to find the best 8-5 we can that pays the most money and use the remaining time to "live" life and enjoy family. That's the issue. I make good money...it's just not enough to make it worth the time investment. That is different for everyone. Some people would look at my salary and think they are set. I don't see it that way.
My daughters been going to nursery school since she was 7 weeks old, most of her "firsts" happened there. As a single parent, that's so hurtful and it really hard to swallow. But I have to work to continue to give her the nicer things and to keep our lifestyle. It's just so unfair sometimes. I feel like her teachers know her better than I do at times.
Appreciate 2