XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
MrT-Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-Sport

Paint flaking on the boot/trunk sill?

I just noticed that there's a bunch of spots on the edge of the rear boot/trunk sill where the paint on my 4-month old X1 has flaked. I'm sure it's not from dragging stuff across the sill, since I never do that, & the paint chips seem to have suddenly appeared in multiple spots in a very short period of time. The chips are all right on the edge.

I'm going to complain to the dealer, although I can imagine that I might have a hard time proving or persuading them that it's not my fault.

But my question is -- has anyone else had this issue?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

I haven't noticed any flaking but have noticed that the paint on my Marrakesh brown chips easily revealing ugly white plastic on the fenders and rear quarter panel. My neighbor has a 335i and he said BMW paint is soft and clear coat is not the best. Maybe solution is to apply 3M clear to vulnerable areas. Go to dealer first and see what they say. Also, stay out of auto car washes, they destroy our paint / clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Yes, I experienced the same. And no, I don't ever drag anything over the sill, except a microfiber cloth with carnuba wax. The only times the car has gone through a car wash is when the dealer has done it - I hand wash my car. And the spots are also elliptical, not scratch-like.

Worse, I have the paint protection plan, and the dealer says it won't cover it, because it only covers "tree sap, bird droppings and similar".

It's extra irritating because BMW uses a white base, and with my metallic blue car, the white spots stand out like a sore thumb. I've covered the spots as best I can with clear blue acrylic paint, but it's still not invisible, and gets worse.
Appreciate 0