XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-16-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Lack of intermittent wipers driving me insane

Is it just me?? Sure i can tap down to manually use the wipers but there's no intermittent wiper setting, it's absolutely absurd.

If it's just lightly raining the wipers either do not come on at all or if i "push up" one setting they remain on all the time.

jesus, they over think things do BMW, just give me basic control over the wiper settings you tools.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

You do know that the X1 has rain sensing wipers with sensitivity control, right?

Personally I agree and would still like a true intermittent wiper option, but this has worked pretty good so far for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
You do know that the X1 has rain sensing wipers with sensitivity control, right?

Personally I agree and would still like a true intermittent wiper option, but this has worked pretty good so far for me.
Yeah but they are HOPELESS. They are far too aggressive and the wipers drag across the screen, even at the slowest/widest setting. Awful, just fucking awful.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

I find the auto sensor to be fairly good. With a light rain a bit too frequent but otherwise fairly reasonable. If your wipers are dragging you need new wipers.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #5
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Here's a post from BIMMERFEST in 2011 in regards to a 3 series, sums up my thoughts exactly ...

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. With so many people who LOVE their rain sensor and so many people who HATE the rain sensor, there is only one explanation. All of us who hate the rain sensors have defective rain sensors. Reading the description of how the wipers worked for those who love them is a far cry from my driving experience. So I will paint a picture....

Imagine every time it rains out, you play around with the stick and the button on the stick and the wheel on the stick for ten minutes. Then after all that, you just say **** it and you put it into high mode. But then high mode is just too fast, so you just say **** it again and you just keep hitting the manual down every few seconds for the remainder of your drive or the rain, whatever ends first. BMW Fail.

That makes me think that these little widgets vary greatly in their build quality and effectiveness. How can you tell if a rain sensor is not working 'optimally'? Hard to without going through multiple iterations of the above driving experience."
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #6
blackhole
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 xDrive M-Sport

When I first got my X1 last summer, I was very annoyed and frustrated thinking there was no intermittent wipers... but after about 3 months I finally figured it out... it was there all along, and my brain was apparently not firing on all cylinders. I felt like such a moron.

Press inward on the button that is located at the tip of the wiper control lever arm. That will turn the intermittent wipers on/off. To adjust the duration of the intermittent delay, use the rocker switch located 1/2 way down the control lever arm (3 different time settings, I think).
Appreciate 2
      12-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

All settings are too frequent for the typical light rain we get here. Better to manual swipe once in a while.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

I have never used manual wiping on my X1. To be honest I don't even know exactly how to stop the manual wiping when I accidentally hit the knob I'm automatic all the way However, one think I don't like about the automatic wiper is that it activates the wiper and does one cycle of wiping as soon as you switch it on. So, I dare switch it on other times and that kinda beats the purpose I guess. It would be great if I could just switch it on and have it do the wiping when it senses rain like the way auto high beam works.

Now, regarding the wiping itself, I like how the sensor setting works. I usually leave it on the minimum setting and change the switch as required and I'm quite happy with how it works - wipes the windscreen clean once there's rain on it - the amount of rain you can allow on the windscreen is as per the settings.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

I'm pretty happy with the rain sensor as well. That said I coated my windshield in water repellent and its absolutely awesome. It helps quite a bit always, but at highway speeds I actually rarely use the wipers at all as the wind just brushes all the water away.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #10
xirsteon
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
I'm pretty happy with the rain sensor as well. That said I coated my windshield in water repellent and its absolutely awesome. It helps quite a bit always, but at highway speeds I actually rarely use the wipers at all as the wind just brushes all the water away.
Do you mind telling me what you used? Rainx?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 11:26 PM   #11
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

I give Rain X mixed reviews. Years ago, I had one of the single-wiper Sciroccos, and the wiper could not keep up. So I used Rain X and rarely had to use the wipers. But when I DID use them (IT, actually), it smeared.
We've had a number of cars with rains sensors, and there are times they just don't get it exactly right; just the nature of the beast. I do like the BMW feature that you just push down on the stalk while leaving the intermittent position undisturbed if you just need an extra wipe.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 11:46 PM   #12
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirsteon View Post
Do you mind telling me what you used? Rainx?
I use aquapel. Got 6 applicators on Amazon for $20. They say one applicator is only good for one windshield or two side windows but I ended up covering every single piece of glass with just two (sunroof and all).

Had it for a couple months so far and haven't noticed any reduction in its ability. I think it's supposed to last 6 months or so
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #13
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhole View Post
When I first got my X1 last summer, I was very annoyed and frustrated thinking there was no intermittent wipers... but after about 3 months I finally figured it out... it was there all along, and my brain was apparently not firing on all cylinders. I felt like such a moron.

Press inward on the button that is located at the tip of the wiper control lever arm. That will turn the intermittent wipers on/off. To adjust the duration of the intermittent delay, use the rocker switch located 1/2 way down the control lever arm (3 different time settings, I think).
I have done this, it's useless, as per Zeevette, wipes are too frequent and as per the post i quoted, the rocker switch seems to do nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #14
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

"Rain-sensing" is better for selling cars. "Intermittent" is better for keeping your windshield clear.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2015, 05:15 AM   #15
xirsteon
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
I use aquapel. Got 6 applicators on Amazon for $20. They say one applicator is only good for one windshield or two side windows but I ended up covering every single piece of glass with just two (sunroof and all).

Had it for a couple months so far and haven't noticed any reduction in its ability. I think it's supposed to last 6 months or so
Thx.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #16
blackhole
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 xDrive M-Sport

Rain-X is good stuff. I've used it for many years. Be aware that it really only works when traveling at highway speeds (wind created by driving fast keeps the water off the windshield). Driving slowly around town, meh, Rain-X doesn't really help much (but wiper blade friction is definitely reduced if nothing else).
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #17
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhole View Post
Rain-X is good stuff. I've used it for many years. Be aware that it really only works when traveling at highway speeds (wind created by driving fast keeps the water off the windshield). Driving slowly around town, meh, Rain-X doesn't really help much (but wiper blade friction is definitely reduced if nothing else).
That's what I found with aquapel. I decided on that over rain-x due to a YouTube video comparing the two. Mind you I've only tried aquapel.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 12:15 AM   #18
NorcalMike
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M sport

You can adjust the speed of the rain sensing wipers with the scroll wheel on the stalk
      12-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #19
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

They do have intermittent wipers. If you hit the stalk up, they turn on. Up again for faster, etc..

My only complaint is that if you use the auto-wipers with the highest sensitivity that it sometimes doesn't wipe fast enough in light rain. White people problems...
      12-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #20
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorcalMike View Post
You can adjust the speed of the rain sensing wipers with the scroll wheel on the stalk
True, but as others have mentioned, even at the slowest setting, the wipe frequency is too frequent. Like others, I have become accustomed to using the manual mode, especially if you use rainex. I wish BMW would fix this. I have found this car to otherwise be really well engineered, much better than any of the competition.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #21
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

I picked up my X1 s28i in Munich, and drove it for two flooding weeks of Jun 1-15/2013.

I fiddled with the wiper controls for about a week, and then, found out how good they work if you just push the end rain sensing button.

I don't get why people don't like it; to me it's perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #22
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

For the 50th time, the scroll wheel does NOTHING, it's far too aggressive on any setting and it is not just me based on comments here and the post I lined to.
Appreciate 0