XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Yes to Servotronic

For those that have the choice of ordering / getting Servotronic..........

I have my X28 for 2 months now and I absolutely recommend Serevotronic. I can't compare it to a X1 without it but I can tell you that the under 25 mile an hour steering firmness is perfect. The best way to describe it is the difference between the steering under and over 25 MPH is seamless, meaning it feels the same not lighter than normal driving. It still takes a little effort to turn the wheel under 25 MPH and does not make the wheel feed back feel lite.

Hope this helps with anyone trying to decide on this option.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Kansasstate
Rep
Drives: X1

No to servotronic. I tried both. I have the M Sport Option and it wonderful if you don't mind a little bit of work in a parking lot. The feel is unbelievable. The Serotronic was twitchy.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I honestly felt no difference. I don't have the ability to try the electric steering though. I can only imagine how light and emotionless it would feel
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Steering is extremely subjective and I understand the reasons people are either for and again it. People really need to drive an X1 with and without it before deciding. I drove both before deciding on my X1 and after driving 1800 miles on it in Europe I know I made the right choice to get it. I didn't find it too light like Audi's steering is and hate, and if it's 5mph or 130mph I never felt like the force was off much, if at all, at any speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #5
kbass
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

I agree with no servotronic. I've tried both as well. Nothing like old school. Much less twitchy and way more response.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Zoogleboogle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240 xDrive (on order)

I *HATE* servotronic. Drives me absolutely insane. Leave me with the true heavy BMW feel which originally made me fall in love w/BMW please
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

I started this post and I,m confused by some of the responses. The way Servotronic works for me is there is absolutely no difference above or below 25 MPH, no firmer - no lighter with Servotronic. The integration below and above 25 MPH is seamless. Am I missing something here? Maybe I don't have Servotronic even though I ordered it and it is on the build sheet, how do I tell if I have it?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post
I started this post and I,m confused by some of the responses. The way Servotronic works for me is there is absolutely no difference above or below 25 MPH, no firmer - no lighter with Servotronic. The integration below and above 25 MPH is seamless. Am I missing something here? Maybe I don't have Servotronic even though I ordered it and it is on the build sheet, how do I tell if I have it?
Without it, the wheel feels much harder to turn at low speeds. Roll at walking speed, and shift the wheel from side to side with one hand. If you can easily do it, you have Servotronics.

Basically, it's extra steering assist that works harder the slower your speed is. This compensates for steering being harder at lower speeds. Personally, I think the idea is good, but that it would be better if it only worked at really low speeds. When doing 35 or above, I want the steering to be solid with full road feel.
Appreciate 0