XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-24-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Ready to change to Non Run Flats..............

Ready to change to Non Run Flat on my 2014 X1 -Xline 18" wheels. Going with Continental Purecontact Eco plus based on reviews. Any feedback or actual experiences to share befor I make the change. I would also get the spare donut wheel/tire.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

I don't have first hand experience with X1, but I switched RFTs (potenza 50s) on my 2008 E90 with sport package to all season go flats. I specifically chose a tire with relatively stiff side walls (and cheap too, Kumho ecsta 4x).

The transformation was dramatic, not only in ride comfort, but also the way the car behaved. With RFTs you could just throw the car in turns, there was no body roll or diving. Also note that pre LCI E90s had stiffer suspension. With all-season go flats you feel the body roll, which is ok and you get used to it, but you also feel the car dives into front wheel when you break into corners. I hate when this happens, the initial turn in is much inferior to RFTs. Once you settle in the turn it is ok and sometimes even better than RFT because you get better traction. The steering is much lighter too but you get used to that as well and is not a major problem.

Bottom line I am still driving the car on go flats because I can imagine how bad the RFTs will be on pothole ridden roads around here (I moved to the Bay Area recently), but the car diving into corners is still a problem, specially for downhill turns it can be unsettling.

My advice is that only consider the switch if you cannot tolerate your current ride, if currently it is just a tad too stiff, with go flats it will be too mushy. Secondly if you decide to go with go flats make sure they can take at least 50 psi and keep tire pressure above 40 at all time. Around 42psi the car starts to feel ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Is there indeed room for a doughnut in the X1? Our car isn't here yet, but a quick perusal of one in the dealer's showroom showed little room for a space saver back there.
Will a doughnut indeed fit? What adjustments must you make to get it in?
Thnx,
Moon
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

There is no room for a donut, the battery takes that space. It is not a big deal there are many cars these days that come with regular tires and a tire repair kit. You can use BMW assist or some roadside service if you cannot fix it.

It is pretty much the same with RFTS, if the tire has sidewall damage or you are more than a 100 miles or so from your destination you need BMW assist. The main difference is that local tire shop don't carry your RFTs so you have to buy from BMW or buy some temporary tire and change it later.

Having said that once I had a valve leak at 1:00 am in my front RFT. I measured pressure a couple of times and it was in 10s and dropping. I was about 75 miles away from my home. I drove at 50-60 mph and got home safely. The next day I took it to the dealer (I had tire warranty). I fully expected to get a new tire but they said they took it out and it was ok, they just fixed the valve leak. I was thinking after driving with no air for 75 miles the tire was almost shredded but it was fine. I used that tire for another 20k miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Please realize that an ECO tire is traction limited...in so much as the reduced rolling resistance that gives the tire greater gas mileage potential ALSO limits traction under hard braking, thus stopping distances INCREASE. Well proven in tire tests.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
There's absolutely no need for a run flat if you have warranty and don't plan on traveling through the Canadian prairies. If you get a flat, any dealer/tire shop can put a plug in it.

I'll be running Michelin PSS in the spring
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
Please realize that an ECO tire is traction limited...in so much as the reduced rolling resistance that gives the tire greater gas mileage potential ALSO limits traction under hard braking, thus stopping distances INCREASE. Well proven in tire tests.
BUT...Tire Rack tested these Purecontact Ecos and they tested better than DWS on almost all fronts. Strange
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

9 out of 10 car forum posters will tell you that anything less than shaved, heat cycled Pilot Cups are a tragedy, regardless of if it's an X1, Prius or Veyron. Buy what you want.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
9 out of 10 car forum posters will tell you that anything less than shaved, heat cycled Pilot Cups are a tragedy, regardless of if it's an X1, Prius or Veyron. Buy what you want.
Not in the X1 forums. I'd say flip the ratio and you're still overshooting reality. X1 buyers are about as practical as they come... only the forums in general do seem to have this mindset. Just my opinion.

OP:
We went with Nitto Motivo (225/45/18) and enjoyed them for a few hundred miles, until I got the itch to increase the tire size after seeing other X1 owners doing the same... which led to increased wheel size as well, and we really do love the 19" staggered setup, but on a practical note, the Nitto's beat the Conti Eco's for us.

Do yourself a favor and "one-up" the tire size, or at least consider it before purchasing. For one, 235/45/18 looks great by comparison, handles better and has better traction. On the 19" set we went with 245/40/19 front and 275/35/19 rear, and it looks "right". It looks like a little "M" X1. The tire undersizing they did on the X1 does not do it any favors. Our speedometer is almost correct now, also... within 2% whereas before it was 4%+ off with stock tire size. A used X1 with 100k miles actually has 95k miles, for instance, but it does make your MPG appear 4-5% better than it actually is.

While I'm at it, let me also throw my hat in the ring against the "eco" tires. I've read up on the Conti's you're interested in but real world (i.e., people who buy and then report back) don't have the same impression that the test results gave. "hard rubber" seems to be the mileage maker, which is going to hurt traction, and for a Prius or something along those lines, they are probably great tires. For a BMW X1, well... I'm becoming the 9 out of 10 who tell you to buy track tires, aren't I? JK Look into the Nitto Motivo's, as they tested well and our mpg bumped by about 1mpg in the short ownership period we had with them. On the plus side, they were purchased locally for almost $100 less than the Eco tires would've been with shipping. America's Tire sells them and they price match. Another great tire is the actual Conti DW or DWS, depending on your location, but I have no idea on that tires impact on MPG, which seems to be a concern for you.

Let us know whatever you get, as I'm sure it will be valuable feedback for the many future forum browsers.
Appreciate 0