Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-15-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
derSpeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i M sport

Door seal noise and exhaust tip.

I am seeking assistance with two issues before I take my car to the dealership:

1. During vertical motion, the front driver door makes a dull low squeaking noise like rubber rubbing on metal. I am pretty sure it's the door seal. I treated it with some high quality rubber dressing. That quelled it a bit, but the noise came back. It quiets down when the car gets warm. I assume the seals shrink when it's cold. None of the other doors do it. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, and if resolved, was the fix covered under warranty?

My X3 did it too, but again, when the car warmed up, the noise went away. I never addressed it on that car because it happened when the car was out of warranty.

2. The black "chrome" on my exhaust tips is wearing off at the bottom where exhaust exits. I know moisture collects there, but is this normal? I painted my X3 tips with high heat gloss black paint and never had an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by derSpeed; 04-27-2016 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 05:07 PM   #2
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

My driver door does it too very occasionally but it's hard to pin point the source and ya it goes away so hasn't bothered me much to report it to the dealer. Also, the service guys always ask to show the rattling/squeaking while reporting for them to look into it, it's hard as this rarely happens.
Not sure about the tips. I have chrome tips and have some black spots on them..

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 10:32 PM   #3
derSpeed
Private
Rep

Thanks for the response.

I isolated the majority of the noise yesterday. When I pushed down on the arm rest, I heard the noise. When I put the window down and pushed the arm rest, the noise stopped. Then, with my hand, I pushed the trim around the window frame that is on the inside of the door. When I did that, I was able to determine that noise was coming from there. I decided to spray a bit of WD40 in the seam where it meets the outside window trim because it will last longer than dressing. I gently pulled it away with a trim removal tool and put the WD40 straw in it and sprayed about 4 shots, all in different spots. The noise from that area stopped completely. I put more dressing on the seal all round the door. That took care of the other subtle noise. It may come back, but it is nice and quiet now.

I am probably going to just paint or replace the tips.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #4
derSpeed
Private
Rep

Monday, there was still a bit of squeaking. I decided it had to be the window. The edge of the window felt rougher than the passenger side. I cleaned the edge of the window where it meets the door seal when it is closed (rolled up). The noise is gone. Odd.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #5
chhimp
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw z4 3.0i 2005

I think it is the window too. When the window is rolled down, the rubbing noise is gone.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #6
derSpeed
Private
Rep

It seems it was mostly the window. There is still a bit of noise in the door seal until it gets warm. It's way better than it was though. I don't notice anymore.
Appreciate 0