XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
blackhole
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 xDrive M-Sport

base stereo system upgrade options

OK, so I cheaped out and ordered my new X1 with the cheapest base model stereo system available. Frankly, I was not impressed with BMW's upgrade options for the cash they wanted. They wanted a whole lot of money for a mediocre stereo package.

From what I understand, my car has a pair of 4" full range speakers in the doors (no tweeters) and the same in the rear. No amplifier either.

Now I'm looking to upgrade. Not planning to enter any car audio shows/competitions -- just looking for a moderate upgrade and hoping to keep the price tag sub-$1,000. What are my options?

Yes, I've looked at BAV Sound, but they don't offer the stage 1 kit for my cheapo base system (I suspect it's because I have no amplifier). Crutchfield offers a set of component speakers for the doors (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091IFBM...BMW-S.html?l=C) but priced pretty steep for a brand I'm not familiar with. And what will this sound like with no amplifier? And what about the rear?

Can anyone confirm if I should expect to find any wiring in my trunk to connect an amplifier? Does the head unit have any RCA inputs/outputs for connecting an amp? Curious how hard it would be if I just ordered two pairs of Rockford Fosgate 4" Punch speakers (or something similar) and a basic amplifier.

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Not sure about the RCA outs, but as for speakers I'd suggest you check out Focal. They have BMW-specific sets and make generally excellent speakers. I had Focals in my previous car and was very happy with the sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
blackhole
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. Yes, Focal is the brand Crutchfield is offering. I've never heard of them before, and I trust your opinion of their sound. But $529 a pair?? By the time I've done front and rear, I'll be into it for one grand and I still won't have an amplifier.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Don't expect much connectivity with a BMW head unit. They are designed to not be modified easily. There's a fiber optic link that makes it tamper resistant.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I would just do the fronts initially and see how it sounds after that. No reason to go crazy on rear fill speakers, unless you're really that concerned about what your passengers are listening to.

EDIT: Here's a review discussion - http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916455
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 07:52 AM   #6
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Hey I was negligent myself too selecting audio system for my X1.. thought it wouldn't make much difference so stuck with the base one. Just recently realised it doesn't even have twitters on those A pillars and only have 5 speakers. On highways with rough tarmac I can barely hear any music and it becomes rather annoying. I am thinking of upgrading to Alpine Hi-Fi system but they are asking AUD 1500 together with installation so wondering if it's worth it.. have you gave this a thought?

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #7
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You can see the different trim piece for the hi-fi and HK systems here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_7522

So if you don't have a proper tweeter component, it might be worth it to pick up the trim piece with the hi-fi tweeter mount and go with a component set rather than sticking with coaxial. You will probably get a significant improvement just from relocating the tweeter. And it looks like the trim pieces are only about $35 US, and they should keep everything looking completely OEM.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #8
blackhole
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes, I've thought about the Alpine upgrade from BMW. Haven't priced it here in Germany. If BMW is selling it, I'm sure it's not cheap. Honestly, though, I've never been a fan of Alpine stuff so I'd like to investigate other options, too.

Can anyone confirm whether my system has an amplifier hidden somewhere in the car?? It's a North American model, with the most basic stereo system (head unit says "Professional"). Crappy subs mounted under the front seats, and you barely know they're running. I can't imagine there's an amp pushing power to these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
Hey I was negligent myself too selecting audio system for my X1.. thought it wouldn't make much difference so stuck with the base one. Just recently realised it doesn't even have twitters on those A pillars and only have 5 speakers. On highways with rough tarmac I can barely hear any music and it becomes rather annoying. I am thinking of upgrading to Alpine Hi-Fi system but they are asking AUD 1500 together with installation so wondering if it's worth it.. have you gave this a thought?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhole View Post
Yes, I've thought about the Alpine upgrade from BMW. Haven't priced it here in Germany. If BMW is selling it, I'm sure it's not cheap. Honestly, though, I've never been a fan of Alpine stuff so I'd like to investigate other options, too.

Can anyone confirm whether my system has an amplifier hidden somewhere in the car?? It's a North American model, with the most basic stereo system (head unit says "Professional"). Crappy subs mounted under the front seats, and you barely know they're running. I can't imagine there's an amp pushing power to these things.
It sounds like the one in mine. I read there's an amplifier under the rear deck.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #10
Dmitry83
Second Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: F30 320i (328i ECU) M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
Hi,
You can just buy the tweeters, which are plug and play- the cheapest way and sounds quite acceptable.
I've done that immediately when bought a car and happy enough.
The partnumber is 65136964012
$70-80 for the pair.
Installation is a piece of cake DIY- just having watched a video of the front door removal process.
PS
My head unit is Professional- this is also an important upgrade if someone has Business. Can be bought cheap slightly used.
F80 bottom reinforcement plate
Koni Sport, M-Performance springs, M135i Anti-roll bars
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #11
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Mine looks and sounds like there's tweeters already in the door. I have the base "Professional" head unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
cooombs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive

Quote:

I thought you had to get at least the Hi-Fi system to get the subs under the seats? Other wise what is the Hi-Fi upgrade, just the tweeters in the side pillars?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 01:13 AM   #13
blackhole
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooombs View Post
I thought you had to get at least the Hi-Fi system to get the subs under the seats? Other wise what is the Hi-Fi upgrade, just the tweeters in the side pillars?
I thought the same, but subs are definitely under the seats. I suspect the Hi-Fi system includes tweeters and an amplifier.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhole
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooombs View Post
I thought the same, but subs are definitely under the seats. I suspect the Hi-Fi system includes tweeters and an amplifier.
I think with basic setup there's only one sub under front seat as there are only 5 speakers as per the spec and hifi adds another sub and 2 twitters making it the total of 8 speakers and the amp.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
blackhole
Enlisted Member
Rep

I thought I would take a few minutes and post an update with a few photos.

In the end, I ordered the Alpine Retrofit kit and installed it myself. A huge improvement over the basic stereo system! Way more punch in the bottom end from the under-seat subwoofers, and the precision of the midrange and high frequencies are a tenfold improvement. There was simply no bass before, the midrange was very soft, and there were no real hi's to speak of. Now the sound feels full, with a strong bottom end. I'm not saying this sound system is going to win any car audio soundoff competitions, but it's a huge improvement for the price. Installation was pretty easy if you're reasonably competent with a few basic tools and not afraid to remove trim pieces (advice: buy a platic set of trim removal tools). I found something like this for a few bucks:

For some reason, BMW actually lists the instructions as a part number, yet they don't include them in the box. Those funny Germans.

Instructions part number: 01 29 2 167 319
I downloaded it here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...6&d=1300472671

Here's what I bought:
Alpine Hi-Fi Retrofit Kit part number: 65 41 2 167 061
Price was €385 (~ $425 USD) for the kit.

The box includes a pair of 4" door speakers, pair of 1" tweeters, pair of crossovers, the amplifier, wiring harness, a dozen zip ties, and a pair of small Alpine emblems.

The dork at the BMW parts counter told me I would also need to buy these two pieces (window frame covers) at a cost of €30 each....but I couldn't figure out why I would need these, since the window pillars in my Canada/USA model has empty tweeter grilles already in place --- and you can easily see that the hole for mounting the tweeter is behind grille face. So, I decided to forego the silly window frame covers and convinced myself that would only buy them later --- if I actually 'need' them. Glad I didn't waste that money because the Alpine tweeters snapped right in.

For what it's worth, here are the useless part numbers he wanted to sell me.
51 33 2 992 453 (left window frame cover) €30
51 33 2 992 454 (right window frame cover) €30

For installation, he quoted me 30 "units" of labor at a cost of €500 (~ $550 USD). Yikes! ... Fuck that noise! In addition to the ridiculous amount of cash, this would have also required an appointment, drop the car off, and be without my car while the work was being done. Instead I saved the cash, and I spent the better part of Saturday morning doing it myself. Piece of cake.

Here's the amplifier installed in the trunk, and you can see the wiring harness splits left and right. Each side has wires that go under the floor carpeting, following the door sills, and connecting into the subwoofers under the front seats. Yes, even the most basic stereo offering for the 2015 model has a pair of subwoofers under the front seats. The reason you can't notice them is because they have no amp to drive them, so you wouldn't even know they're there unless you look. With the amp running power to them now, there is no mistaking the bass coming from them. They pack a pretty good punch. The right side of the wiring harness also goes from the amplifier to the battery + and a ground lug on the right rear wheel well.

Here's the tweeter installed. They snap right into the existing empty hole behind the window frame covers. When it was all done, I even stuck the little plastic/chrome Alpine emblems on the grille. Sexy.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #16
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So is this the same as the stock "hi-fi" setup? (Which I think is what I already have.) Or would it be an upgrade over that?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 05:51 PM   #17
blackhole
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have no idea what the various package offerings are called. All I know is that I got the most basic stereo system you can get in my 2015 model. From the factory. my car came with a head unit which says "Profesionnal" and a pair of crappy door midrange speakers, a pair of crappy rear midrange speakers, and a pair of subwoofers under the front seats. That's it. Sound really sucked.

This kit replaces the door midrange speakers and adds tweeters and crossovers. Rear speakers remain original, and the amp provides sufficient juice.

Have a look in the trunk. Do you have an amplifier?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 09:03 PM   #18
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

I would love to upgrade the factory head unit. Mine vacillates between HD and ST every 2-10 seconds no matter where I am in proximity to the towers.

I hate that.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #19
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

A lot depends on your source for music. If you pipe everything through the USB port, it sounds pretty good. I have base system as well, and it has tweeters, and the sub works. (2013) I can't believe so many people are OK with BT streaming. If that's what you were using, it'll sound crappy regardless.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #20
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Have a look in the trunk. Do you have an amplifier?

Um... I think so? Maybe? Looks like an amp with a bunch of proprietary connectors.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #21
blackhole
Enlisted Member
Rep

I dunno. My guess is that you've got the Harmon Kardon system??
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 02:19 PM   #22
cooombs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive

I checked today and can confirm the Hi-Fi option which is the 2nd level (Base>Hi-Fi>HK) has an amp in the trunk that looks just like the one posted by improvius in addition to tweeters in the front. No idea if the mids are any different from the base or not. With the base turned up via the iDrive I find the sound to be pretty good with a decent amount of base. This is all via music on a USB stick.
Appreciate 0