XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
boxy
Rep
Drives: E46 E84 E87 R56

X1 23D Xdrive Strange noise under load

Hi,

Has any one experienced a strange whining noise from X1 23d during cruise between 1950 to 2000 rpm, applying load to the accelerator there seems to be a constant whining noise coming from the engine. This is rather annoying since the engine speed range falls on high way cruise...

Thank you and best regards,
Boxy
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

In here we "cruise" at 3000+ rpms...
(The 23d definitely should have a 7 or 8 speed gearbox.)

As for whining noise, no... my 23d makes no such sound at any rpms.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
gundie2
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d

Is it noise coming from your turbos?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #4
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Yes, I have experienced the same problem. To me it sounds like a dry bearing, it was worst when new. I've now done 3500 miles and it seems a little better (I've also topped up the oil in the engine) BUT it's so difficult to replicate that as yet I have not been back to the dealership.

The noise sounds like a high pitch screech. At first I thought that it was wind noise, then considered the four wheel drive system as I understand that some Jaguars have the same problem, and then elswhere on this site I read that it was the windscreen seal and that there was a fix for it. I'm not convinced because the noise happens at different speeds, while under load and cruising, but never in the same circumstances, if it was the seal it would be possible to replicate it.

If anybody from BMW has a detailed explanation please let me know.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:12 AM   #5
boxy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundie2 View Post
Is it noise coming from your turbos?
No mate, the turbo barely audiable, it sounds more like a worn bearing or something alike...

Last edited by boxy; 09-16-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
boxy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry View Post
Yes, I have experienced the same problem. To me it sounds like a dry bearing, it was worst when new. I've now done 3500 miles and it seems a little better (I've also topped up the oil in the engine) BUT it's so difficult to replicate that as yet I have not been back to the dealership.

The noise sounds like a high pitch screech. At first I thought that it was wind noise, then considered the four wheel drive system as I understand that some Jaguars have the same problem, and then elswhere on this site I read that it was the windscreen seal and that there was a fix for it. I'm not convinced because the noise happens at different speeds, while under load and cruising, but never in the same circumstances, if it was the seal it would be possible to replicate it.

If anybody from BMW has a detailed explanation please let me know.

Thanks
Exactly, the wind screen noise should be very similar noise as earlier Mini R56s, those are very easy to replicate at certain speed and can be fixed quickly with some black glue applied beneath the windscreen seal.

I have read on a German forum there someone implied this is noise is generated from the intake monifold (somehow related to part throttle air stream), however will appreciate if anyone had the same issue could share some thoughts and ultimately, solution for this annoying noise which appear loudest during quiet long night cruising at 100~110 km/h .
Appreciate 0