XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

05-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
FrozenInCND
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Chamberlain Door Opener

Hi all

This my first post. We just picked up our first BMW, a X1 X-Drive 2.8 with the X-line option and pretty much a full load. So far we are really enjoying it, the one problem I am having is setting up the garage door opener. I have tried every possible combination I can think of, and I just can't get it to work. I have no problem clearing any previous codes, but thats about as far as I get. I have tried with the pocket remote, at distances from touching, to an arms length away. I have tried using the learn button on the motor unit, but nothing seems to work, I never seem to get the fast blinking light on the mirror. The door opener is not that old, maybe 4 years, its a quite common Chamberlain opener that I purchased from Home Depot. Any suggestions?

Thanks Again
Lenard
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #2
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP Azurite Black

Your door opener has a standard that is newer than the one that your BMW uses. I had the same problem with my Chamberlain. You're just going to have to use the remote that came with the garage door opener. I bought a second one for my other car.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3-35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInCND View Post
Hi all

This my first post. We just picked up our first BMW, a X1 X-Drive 2.8 with the X-line option and pretty much a full load. So far we are really enjoying it, the one problem I am having is setting up the garage door opener. I have tried every possible combination I can think of, and I just can't get it to work. I have no problem clearing any previous codes, but thats about as far as I get. I have tried with the pocket remote, at distances from touching, to an arms length away. I have tried using the learn button on the motor unit, but nothing seems to work, I never seem to get the fast blinking light on the mirror. The door opener is not that old, maybe 4 years, its a quite common Chamberlain opener that I purchased from Home Depot. Any suggestions?

Thanks Again
Lenard
I had the same thing happen with a Chamberlain opener. Check out this thread on how I got mine to work.

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911698
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
FrozenInCND
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Gort

I will go buy another opener and see if it works, and try the between the window, and multi push trick.

Last edited by FrozenInCND; 05-07-2014 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep

Be persistent, mine took a few repeats but it finally took. If you still have trouble, there are some Chamberlain openers that require adding a "repeater" (if your Chamberlain has a yellow antenna wire it may need this). If so, call Homelink and I have heard they will send it to you for free.

https://secure.homelink.com/homelink...ter-kit-detail
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
FrozenInCND
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Gort.

Got home tonight pulled in the garage, figurard I would try some of your tricks. First try and I get a fast blink after trying the remote between the window and the back of the mirror. Very cool! Climbed up the later and one push of the door opener learn button, and a push on the mirror button and I'm done works great.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
My 135i wouldn't learn the remote for our garage door. I haven't tried the X1 yet, but this post as motivated me to try this weekend. Thanks for the tips.
      05-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Gort
Klaatu Barada Nikto
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInCND View Post
Thanks Gort.

Got home tonight pulled in the garage, figurard I would try some of your tricks. First try and I get a fast blink after trying the remote between the window and the back of the mirror. Very cool! Climbed up the later and one push of the door opener learn button, and a push on the mirror button and I'm done works great.

Thanks again

Glad to hear that it worked. They have very good range too, mine will open the door from almost a block away.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #9
Carlin/14/E84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1 bmw

The kit is for free, but the shipping is $7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post
Be persistent, mine took a few repeats but it finally took. If you still have trouble, there are some Chamberlain openers that require adding a "repeater" (if your Chamberlain has a yellow antenna wire it may need this). If so, call Homelink and I have heard they will send it to you for free.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
Carlin/14/E84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1 bmw

Actually it cost $7 and the shipping is for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gort View Post

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
x5E44hcs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 and 2015 BMW X3

Same Situation

I put the remote between the mirror and the window and it programmed immediately, but linking it to the opener head would not work. I called Chamberlain and told them what I had tried so far. I told them about having to put the car remote between the mirror and window and they told me that there were a lot of troubleshooting notes on the X1 not working and one of the notes was to be sure the remote is either in front of or at the bottom of the mirror. She said she would add my comment about where it should be placed. She then told me that my Chamberlain opener (yellow antenna) needed the repeater to work with an X1 and she would send me one and the only charge was the $7.49 postage. I hope it works.

One interesting thing I noticed was that if you look up the BMW's that are compatible to the opener every model is listed except the X1.

Another interesting thing is that we also have an X3 and the opener programmed easily to that car.

One more thing. I took it to my dealer and no one there had ever heard of this problem. Neither had the "genius" at BMWUSA.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

I think the opener for the X1 sucks. I can open the garage door with the garage door remote from half way up the drive way, but the X1 needs to be very close (pretty much right in front) to the door to activate the door opener.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #13
x5E44hcs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 and 2015 BMW X3

I got the kit. It comes with a new remote that you have to use to program the car mirror button. This one you can't hold between the mirror and the glass. You must hold it in front of the mirror (or at least I had to). Then you plug the adapter into a wall outlet, press the learn button on the opener head, and press the mirror button. Worked perfectly. One strange thing though, you cannot use the remote opener that came with the adapter to open the garage door. It only is used to program the mirror button. You continue to use the original remote button for other cars (or in my case motorcycles).
Appreciate 0