XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Dream X1 Xdrive configuration

Since retro fitting my X1 with the aero kit (and loving the result) I've been considering what my ideal configuration would consist of. We know that BMW monitor this site so here's the challenge...lets design our 'perfect' X1. Here are my initial thoughts:

Body shell - basic shell remains the same with M Sport aero panels. Change from five to three door (reduces build costs and increases stiffness and by pushing back the b pillar improves looks), round wheel arches (not sure but?, alluminium rear door and bonnet (lowers centre of gravity).

Engine and gearbox - 3.0d coupled to eight speed auto box (economical, powerful, and smooth). Costello shoe horned a V8 into the MGB, altered the body with flared arches and a different grill shape, and it was so succesfull that BMC/Leyland had to create the MGB V8.......yes I owned a Costello many years ago and it was 'special'.

Suspension and brakes - sports suspension and upgraded performance brakes.

Interior - improve quality of points of contact, extended leather, stainless steel pedals.

The above should be almost cost neutral, and all of my suggestions are deliverable. I don't want to get involved in a debate on switching sales from other models in the X range, but rather lets really put the joy into a BMW X1 Xdrive. I'm sure that there will be lots of ideas so lets see what we can come up from a design and technical perspective that leaves the competition as no more than a dot in the rear view mirror.

I await your views with interest.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Brilliant idea... Here are my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry View Post
Since retro fitting my X1 with the aero kit (and loving the result) I've been considering what my ideal configuration would consist of. We know that BMW monitor this site so here's the challenge...lets design our 'perfect' X1. Here are my initial thoughts:

Body shell - basic shell remains the same with M Sport aero panels. Change from five to three door (reduces build costs and increases stiffness and by pushing back the b pillar improves looks), round wheel arches (not sure but?, alluminium rear door and bonnet (lowers centre of gravity).
Agree with the M-Sport kit but would keep the practical 5-doors. A 3-door may be too much like the X2.

Quote:
Engine and gearbox - 3.0d coupled to eight speed auto box (economical, powerful, and smooth). Costello shoe horned a V8 into the MGB, altered the body with flared arches and a different grill shape, and it was so succesfull that BMC/Leyland had to create the MGB V8.......yes I owned a Costello many years ago and it was 'special'.
Yes please..better still use the 300bhp turbo 3.0d from the 335d....please BMW. With quad pipes like this..

Name:  BMW-X1M-la-plupart-des-modeles-ont-droit-a-leur-version-M.jpg
Views: 7157
Size:  24.6 KB

Quote:
Suspension and brakes - sports suspension and upgraded performance brakes.
Just use the setup from the M3, should be easy enough.

Quote:
Interior - improve quality of points of contact, extended leather, stainless steel pedals.
Yep, the quality of the materials used inside need another look at. For the X1M (heh, heh) add a carbon fibre interior as well. Full interior leather as well.

Please Mr BMW, if you are reading this, take note of this humble request from your loyal followers...
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0