XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Cstyles
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport & 997 Turbo

Just signed off on new 2012 X1!

Hey everyone. I've been lurking for a while but thought I would finally make my first post now that I've officially bought the car! Such a small community here right now, but I am sure once the X1 is release in the US (if ever...) this place will really pick up.

So yeah, my wife and I just signed off on a 2012 Alpine White with;
Navigation
Sport Package
Premium
Xenons

We had a hell of a time finding an X1 in the southern ontario region that was anything other than a stripped down no-option X1, or a fully loaded nevada leather / apps / convenience / etc... car that was $50k. Finally, I ended up at BMW Waterloo who had the exact car I was looking for on order for inventory, and I jumped on it. It will be a few weeks before it arrives from Germany, but that's ok.

For anyone in the market, I can highly recommend Brandon Norris-Lue @ BMW Waterloo (soon to be BMW Grand River, as they are moving to the new location Monday). He was a complete professional, came in on his day off so my wife and I could test drive an X1, and ultimately gave us the exact deal I was asking for.

We pick it up May 12th, provided no catastrophic boat failures, tidal waves, montreal port strikes, or transport truck crashes. I'll be sure to post up lots of pics, but in the meantime, just wanted to say hello!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 03:23 AM   #2
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Hello and thanks for poping in to tell us about your buy. Good luck with your new car, hope you enjoy yours as much as I do. Post some Pictures when you get your hands on her

Last edited by Blue Bottle; 04-20-2012 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

Awesome .... the long wait begins .......
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
strick11
Rep
Drives: 2005

pics when you get the car.
      04-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstyles View Post
Such a small community here right now, but I am sure once the X1 is release in the US (if ever...) this place will really pick up.
FWIW, in case you weren't aware, the X1 has been announced officially for release in the US later this year. It was shown at NYAIS, and is the new LCI model.

Speaking of which, in case you are susceptible to buyer's remorse, you may at least want to make yourself aware of the new features coming with the LCI, including a 35i model (which may not be sold in Canada, though I suspect it will). Aesthetic changes are somewhat minor, but also worth a look.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
phil17
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GLK

Congrads on the purchase!. Long time lurker myself but just registered. Deciding between buying back my leased GLK or going with the X1 as it works out either way financially for the next 4 years. Will be doing test drive in the coming week and might do so in Waterloo as my visit to the Mississauga dealership was terrible. Not sure why nobody wanted to help me and when someone did they said no discounts, lol. Please post pics when you get your car!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
Cstyles
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil17 View Post
Congrads on the purchase!. Long time lurker myself but just registered. Deciding between buying back my leased GLK or going with the X1 as it works out either way financially for the next 4 years. Will be doing test drive in the coming week and might do so in Waterloo as my visit to the Mississauga dealership was terrible. Not sure why nobody wanted to help me and when someone did they said no discounts, lol. Please post pics when you get your car!
Thanks! I briefly went into Mississauga BMW and spoke with Serg and it wasn't a bad experience. Issue was that they didn't have the car I was looking for, nor could they find one at any of their sister dealerships.

Now Budds BMW Oakville on the other hand... I've never has such a bad experience as a potential customer than when I went into Budds looking for an X1. Salesmen standing around in groups on the floor blatantly ignoring me, after 10 mins of checking out the X1 in the showroom and no help, I went to reception (by walking past a few groups of sales guys) and had to ask for someone in sales, which of course then I got the responses 'oh sorry, thought you were here with someone else, blah blah'. The guy who I got stuck with was a pretentious prick of an old man, and when I asked for a quote with his best price, he spent 10mins on his computer without saying a word to me (mind you I am sitting at his desk LOL) and eventually prints off a quote, hands it to me, and it's MSRP LOL. I had a good chuckle, and then countered him with my offer and without even attempting to do the numbers, extended his hand to me and said 'thanks for coming in'.

FYI BMW Waterloo is now officially closed, as the brand new BMW Grand River dealership in Kitchener (on Victoria St North) opened Monday. I stopped in on Tuesday for a tour and the place is awesome. As I said in my first post, I highly recommend Brandon @ BMW Waterloo/Grand River. He represented himself and his dealership in a manner that lives up to the BMW expectation of service. Good luck in your search, and pics will most certainly be posted once I pick it up!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

Quote:
Deciding between buying back my leased GLK or going with the X1 as it works out either way financially for the next 4 years.
Love the GLKs looks, but not too impressed with the performance. Can you comment on the differences?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
phil17
Rep

Thanks for the note about Budds Cstyles. I don't remember who "helped" me at Mississauga and while i understand there's probably good and bad sales ppl at each dealership, i wasn't impressed with the overall attitude and atmosphere of this particular dealership. Will check out Grand River as i'm in Waterloo almost every weekend. Glad to hear you had a great experience and looking forward to you getting the car
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #10
phil17
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbg2d View Post
Love the GLKs looks, but not too impressed with the performance. Can you comment on the differences?
The GLK is my first "german" car and also my first MB. I've driven all Acura's prior and still have a TL (yes the ugly one) in the household. I've never driven the X1 but have test driven the X3 on a couple occation before my GLK lease. The prior gen X3 was probably one of BMW's worst offerings so i'm not sure how relavent my experience is.

The GLK is no performance machine but it glides over imprefections like they don't exist (with 20" wheels, lol) and has a very quiet highway ride. It also makes you feel really safe because the doors are crazy thick (translating into poor interior space though)

I need to test drive the car and do some calculations. basically my buy back for the GLK minus how much i can sell it for in 4 years = X1 lease for 4 years. I wil be giving up a bit of features with the X1 but the GLK might require expensive repairs etc (BTW, i've been in the shop more on the GLK than all my previous cars combined). We'll see how it all plays out but I really like what the X1 offers
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
phil17
Rep

and i have a really stupid question, does Canadian X1's not come with seatback pockets? it's not a dealbreaker but just something i've noticed when i saw the X1 at the autoshow...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
I need to test drive the car and do some calculations. basically my buy back for the GLK minus how much i can sell it for in 4 years = X1 lease for 4 years. I wil be giving up a bit of features with the X1 but the GLK might require expensive repairs etc (BTW, i've been in the shop more on the GLK than all my previous cars combined). We'll see how it all plays out but I really like what the X1 offers
since you pay for servicing your GLK (scheduled maintenance), you save on that as well for the next 4 years on your X1... good move!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
iwantanx
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
and i have a really stupid question, does Canadian X1's not come with seatback pockets? it's not a dealbreaker but just something i've noticed when i saw the X1 at the autoshow...
No seatback pockets. No backseat center armrest/cupholders. No power outlet in the trunk. No little cargo nets over the trunk cubbies (behind the wheel arches). No cargo dividers in the trunk floor compartment.

And some options we can't get here either:
No forward obstacle sensors. No reverse camera.

I'm sure others may have noticed other things...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 03:33 AM   #14
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

From a Uk perspective the items listed above are all optional extras. We're lucky to have a huge list of options to choose from, but I too thought the seatback pockets should be standard.

I guess you could retro fit, but bet BMW would charge more than it's worth to take the plastic bits of and drill a few holes.

J.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 03:42 AM   #15
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Pretty sure the Center back seat arm rest and Power outlet in the boot (Trunk) were standard UK fit on mine, dont remember having to list them as options. Wonder why BMW do that ?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #16
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

I think BMW change the standard spec from time to time. I've got an MY10 that has no centre back seat arm rest or power outlet in the boot, yet I do have the comfort pack. On the MY10 comfort pack you don't get cruise control, but from MY11... I believe you do.

Cars and options is a minefield nowadays. Just checkout the options on the Audi A1 or Range Rover Evoque... or even Porsche Cayenne ...a plethora of choices.

J.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #17
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bottle View Post
Pretty sure the Center back seat arm rest and Power outlet in the boot (Trunk) were standard UK fit on mine, dont remember having to list them as options. Wonder why BMW do that ?
BMW Canada went really cheap on the car's interior "extras". I think it is their way to separate the X1 from the X3. Always leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when they do this. Sometimes the missing pieces get added in over the years......
      04-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #18
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bottle View Post
Hello and thanks for pooping in..........
Eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
phil17
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantanx View Post
No seatback pockets. No backseat center armrest/cupholders. No power outlet in the trunk. No little cargo nets over the trunk cubbies (behind the wheel arches). No cargo dividers in the trunk floor compartment.

And some options we can't get here either:
No forward obstacle sensors. No reverse camera.

I'm sure others may have noticed other things...
oh wow, thanks for the list. while these are not dealbreakers either, it's surprising to be missing as some of the "lesser" cars i've owned in the past has most of these. Oh well. It's the driving expereience that counts with these things cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #20
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Sometimes the missing pieces get added in over the years......
this is very true esp. when transitioning to LCI models.
it's then marketed as "now is the best time to lease your new bmw. you get more standard features for the same msrp"

i find it unfair for the trailblazers who bought the 1st year model, paid higher interest rates, less discount room, undertook more risk for first-year models and got less standard equipment.

for people who lease, i guess it doesn't matter much. they are prime targets for these "new and enhanced" LCI models, to keep the money flowing in BMWCA
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #21
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
this is very true esp. when transitioning to LCI models.
it's then marketed as "now is the best time to lease your new bmw. you get more standard features for the same msrp"

i find it unfair for the trailblazers who bought the 1st year model, paid higher interest rates, less discount room, undertook more risk for first-year models and got less standard equipment.

for people who lease, i guess it doesn't matter much. they are prime targets for these "new and enhanced" LCI models, to keep the money flowing in BMWCA
Totally Agree. I only own the car for almost 1 year, then the LCI came..
I hope BMW Canada won't get the LCI for 2013, this way I will feel better.
Yet X1 only came into Canada for 1 year, then the LCI came in?

Will BMW compensate those who bought the car in 2012? This SUCKS
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #22
Cstyles
Private
Rep

Stopped by the dealer today, and snapped my first pick of the new X1! On deck for PDI and prep, picking up next Saturday for my wife's birthday. Looking forward to it!

Appreciate 0