Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #67
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabun View Post
Agree with you. No hate here, but it's just difficult to justify at least from my perspective. The Golf R is definitely more refined than the WRX and right up there in the S3 league (same car, I think), but to pay THAT much of a premium for a smaller car just didn't make sense. Also, most dealers I asked were way too snobby because of the demand and the MY2016 (Mexico made, new infotainment system) is still a mystery. Also, the gf is German and her face when she heard $40k Golf was just

I'm just glad I got my hands on an N55 powered SAV that is out of production now. Hopefully that's some redemption from the ridiculous depreciation that German cars have in the US.
It is about same size as X1.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #68
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i, 2013

Atomic...northeast of B'more, and commuting on I-95.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #69
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post

I also feel it is overpriced for what you get.mm
I think they are, too. That's why I bought a 6000 mi., dealer owned CPO for about 10k less.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #70
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
I think they are, too. That's why I bought a 6000 mi., dealer owned CPO for about 10k less.
I don't know, I didn't find much else comparable in its price range. I was looking for something with awd, hatch/small wagon profile, decent performance (around 6 second 0-60, good handling), decent fuel economy, and a sporty/luxury interior. What else is out there like that?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:43 PM   #71
SKL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 M-sport

Love wagons and hatchbacks so this is a perfect fit. Love avants, but Audi doesn't bring them in anymore except for the "offroad." Needed something a little smaller than the Q5 and much prefer the driving feel to the X3.

Only had it a week, but so far wife and I love it. Have had many BMW's over the years, but first new bimmer since a '08 M3 convertible.
2011 TTS roadster
1971, 1973 914's
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #72
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I agree with everyone.

The 3 Series Wagon is starts at 41K

The X1 starts at 31K, so the 3 series wagon is a 10K dollar difference.

Heres the thing, the 3 series Wagon and the X1 both have the same BMW N20 Engine - 240 horsepower, so both are more or less the same in terms of performance.

The extended length of the wagon, is what makes the 3 series wagon, more of a wagon, and the X1 looking like a small SUV.

The only thing that i will give the 3 series wagon over the X1, excluding the fact that the 3 series wagon is more "updated" than the X1, such as gauges, the screen, the rocker switch etc.

If you want a wagon with a diesel engine, you have no choice but to get the 328D, at least here in the US, the X1 is unavailable with the Diesel engine, so that might narrow the search.

I just checked the website today and i dont think the wagon is available with the diesel anymore? i could be wrong

as for the X1
I am from Beverly Hills, and you see the 3,5,6,7,x3,x5 series EVERYWHERE YOU TURN

You can't go anywhere in that town without seeing one of those cars. So as mentioned i still see no X1's, they are super rare, even in bougie town, lol

Heres another notice: most X1's are usually black, white, or gray and are usually base.

I can tell if an X1 has I-Drive and the back up camera as if you look in the back you'll see the parking sensors. However, at least here in the US, you can't get a back up camera without getting I-drive, so it is still rare to see an X1 that is fully loaded.

I have yet so see any X1's with the Sport Line Trim, same with X-Line, although my friend does own an X1 with the X-line trim, but other than that, i have yet to see another one.

I still don't understand why the X1's don't come more equipped?

My cousin, just got a new X1, thanks to me because mine was the first he has ever seen, he got his from the BMW in Chandler, AZ

And his came "weirdly" optioned if that makes sense..
It came with the Valencia Orange and the Technology package and thats it

Mine for example, just the midnight blue and the sunroof....

I still think more variety would help people.

But i agree, i like it being rare, as most people are still unaware of the X1's prowess.
I especially stand out with the midnight blue and the half X-Line package i have retrofitted.

The best thing, no one believes how fast the X1 is.....
Its basically a 328i in disguise, so it doesn't slouch what so ever, hahha
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #73
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep

Does anyone get questions about their X1? or interest?

As mentioned, most of my friends, including those who are car geeks, have never seen an X1, until they saw mine...

The ones who do know the X1 have a high interest and liking in it. i was quite surprised, tbh

The most compliments i get is about the X1's color - the Midnight Blue, and again, this caught me off guard. My cousin who has the Orange X1, says he gets compliments all the time as well, and he is shocked how much attention he gets because of it.

The X1 is one of the few cars that can get away with Orange!
Props to the X1!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #74
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
The hate on Americans have for hatches or wagons is remarkable, I personally think sedans are an insane purchase when you can get a fifth door.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvius View Post

I personally find most sedan designs godawful boring. Even aside from the obvious practical benefits, hatches and wagons just look so much more interesting to me.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
It is small. Americans don't want to spend a lot of money on small cars. It is a wagon. Americans dont like wagons. However, I think it outsells the three series wagon.

I also feel it is overpriced for what you get.mm
Overpriced or not, I voted with my wallet. Hopefully others do the same.

Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 03:04 PM   #75
DarrenBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d xDrive SE

One aspect that drew me to the X1 was it rarity. My previous cars were rare 2 seaters (E86 Z4 Coupes) and wanted something completely difference but again not too common. I liked the X1 when they first came out and in 2010 or 11 had one as a courtesy car while my Z4 M Coupe was in for servicing. A year or so later I made the switch. Part of the reason was for getting it was also to reduce my costs as I used to drive a lot of miles a year but since getting the X1 my circumstances have changed so now not driving many miles. It's a great all-rounder and nice to be able to just get in a drive it - I'm less an*l about it as although it's a great car to me it's more of an everyday tool but stilll love it don't get me wrong. I know if winter gets bad it'll still get me around. I can go places I would be afraid to go in a sports car.

I've now owned mine since August 2012, bought when it was 10 months old with just 2000 miles on it. It's now only done 17,000 miles. I was expecting it to be at 100k miles by now but as mentioned life has changed a bit . I want to get a Porsche next but want to keep the X1 too so may leave it another year or two.

Think mine has a reasonable spec. It's only a 2.0diesel (in in the UK) and I do sometimes wish it had 17" wheels rather than 18's but other than that completely happy with it

The X1 even in bland space grey does attract attention and often when I tell people what i have they have no idea at first - they can't picture what the X1 looks like.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #76
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX1Sdrive28i View Post

I still don't understand why the X1's don't come more equipped?

I don't know what your definition of "fully equipped" is. I consider mine loaded, because it has every option I would want, and almost none that I didn't. Mine's a no-line, with Premium pkg., cold climate pkg., and lighting pkg. Heated steering wheel is crazy nice! I didn't want a sunroof, or nav, so no loss there. Looking over the option list, the only thing I would have added would have been the HK stereo upgrade. I'm the only one that drives it, so even though it has power seats, I wouldn't have paid extra for them. Back-up sensors are great, but a camera is too distracting. I've yet to open the sunroof. Really hate iDrive type controllers, so don't miss that. I really hate the trend of the customer needing to go through a menu, sometimes three or more steps, to perform a function that formerly took the push of a button.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 05:36 PM   #77
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep

zeevette

I believe we are both in a different market/location

In the U.S. The sunroof and power seats are both included in the Premium Package
and you can't get the back up camera or sensors without getting the Technology package which includes I-Drive (Nav)

Now thats frustrating, i don't want to pay north of 3 grand for a back up camera or sensors

And what i meant by "more equipped" i meant more X1's with a range to choose from.

I look at dealer's inventories all the time, most X1's are usually base with little to no options, while others are usually fully loaded, usually the Ultimate package being the most popular.

My dream X1, although im not complaining as i am grateful to even have an X1, would be the Midnight Blue, X-Line package, and a sunroof. The packages i can all live without, but since i am a fan of always riding with the windows down, i love the extra ventilation and light.

I agree with you on the power seats, no one drives my car anyway except for me, so i would have no use of them.

I think the Lines give the X1 a major upgrade.

BMWBig6
I love your X1, the White, M-Sport, and Lighting package are drop dead gorgeous!!!
(Insert Heart-Eyed Emoji Here)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #78
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Quote:

BMWBig6
I love your X1, the White, M-Sport, and Lighting package are drop dead gorgeous!!!
(Insert Heart-Eyed Emoji Here)
Thank you, there are quite a few white M sports on here, several with coral red interiors too.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #79
X1_AJG
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X1 S28i

Hey fellow forum members! Brand new 2015 X1 S28i owner here. My X1 is in the foreground, and the one that I originally was interested is in the background. I've had the X1 for 6 days now and I am very happy with it! I have the tech package (but with no parking assist), leather seats (not not the comfort package) and I have the panoramic sunroof. As you can see, I also have the satin finish roof rails and style 321 18" wheels. It seems like they are kind of emptying the parts bins just before the close out the E84 model. I live in the South Bay area of Los Angeles and I have also not seen so many on the road. I can not say the same for my neighborhood as there are three other X1s within four blocks, one being across the street from me. I can't wait to get my windows tinted next week and to get my X-line rocker moldings in a week and a half. I have to make mine more personal! Thanks for reading and I look forward to learning and contributing! ...Andrew
Name:  IMG_1305a.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  152.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #80
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

I think BMW has shifted around the option packages since my '13 was made. Like all manufacturers, they group options to increase profits, but some of the end results are kind of weird. Things I wanted came with the premium pkg., but I was stuck with the most expensive (for the manufacturer) option I didn't want; the giant sunroof. It's ridiculous how much they charge for tech items, some of which are standard on Kia Rios.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #81
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep

X1_AJG

My dads side of the family resides in south bay! did you get yours from South Bay BMW?

lol

Look on my X1 in regards to the X-Line Package. I have Successfully retrofitted the X-line grilles and it looks amazing. THe X1 with the midnight blue looks better with the silver and aluminum as opposed to the black imho

be sure to get the X-line rockers from getbmwparts.com, i believe they are the cheapest and the best, i will be getting mine in august! lol

The X1 is still the best to be honest, it is such a joy to drive and im going to keep mine forever! I just don't understand why other people don't like it!

BMW has completely trumped Audi and Mercedes with the X1 being the most affordable and also being that the X1 is basically in a class of its own. Yeah i know MB has the GLA, but the beltline seems to high and i don't find it attractive tbh!

I think what BMW should do is just update the X1's interior to be on par with the current 3 series, the exterior looks fine to me tbh!

They should also not charge a crazy amount for a back up camera.

I am a good driver, not to be cocky, but the X1 would definitely benefit from a back up camera!

Please let me know how those Rocker's come along. there is also a HOW TO on how to do that if you search on the forums!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #82
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep

I am still surprised how many comments and views this post has gotten.

zeevette
Luckily the German car companies, mostly pointing at BMW and Porsche, can no longer nickle and dime you for a back up camera. As of May of 2018 ever new car sold in the US would have to have a back up camera! So no more getting suckerd by them, lol

Also, coming from a base mini cooper with just a sunroof, i am pretty much used to a base car. My X1 has just a sunroof and the midnight blue.

Heres the thing, the common saying is that if you make things easier for humans, they will naturally take the easy route and later become so accustomed to being spoiled!

what do i mean?

Since both of my cars were more or less base, i didn't have certain luxuries that come with expensive cars, like back up camera, sensors, blind spot ect...

When i drive one of my parents cars i always feel like "wow, this makes life a whole lot easier", but since i am used to not having those luxury items, i can live without them.

It is super easy to upgrade, but really difficult to down grade.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #83
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am still surprised how many comments and views this post has gotten.

zeevette

It is super easy to upgrade, but really difficult to down grade.

So true... What I don't like are the "upgrades", like touch screen OS, and needing a menu choice to change the radio station. Somewhat of a Luddite, but it makes no sense to make things more difficult, and distracting, while you need to have your concentration on the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #84
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

I got our x X135i Msport Ultimate as a fun weekend car but ended up giving it to my teenage daughter who has about 1 year of driving experience.

i think it is safe and very practical for her... wanted to stay with Bimmers, had X5 and 5 series wagons, but since BMW didn't bring the new "F" wagon to the US, I thought i was headed back to Mercedes. Looked at the 3 series wagon and then saw the X1 at the dealership.

I like the "old school" I-6, hydraulic steering and 6 speed transmission...With the Alpina B3 transmission flash, it gets about 1-1.5 more mpg in drive mode and much sharper, quicker shifts in sport or manual. To top it off, the JB4 tune will really let the X1 come alive.

We sent my daughter to the Tire Rack/SCCA Street Survival driving school and she loved it. learned how to really handle the X1 and loved the autoX.

Best mpg we got was just over 29 mpg on a long trip, with steady 65 mph driving and averages just about 24 around town.

Fit and finish is good, but not luxurious. It wears well and is just the right size for my daughter, who is 5-10.

Have about 28,000 miles, no trouble and just put on new tires...got rid of the RFT's and the handles and drives even better.

All around, a very versatile, well optioned, comfortable, well handling and expensive car for a teenage girl... Not exactly what i was driving at that age...

Now my weekend car is a Porsche Boxster... but that is for a different forum
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 09:43 PM   #85
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
Fit and finish is good, but not luxurious. It wears well and is just the right size for my daughter, who is 5-10.

Have about 28,000 miles, no trouble and just put on new tires...got rid of the RFT's
I would have thought the RTF's is ideal to have for your daughter, incase of an emergency.

Last edited by Njerts; 05-29-2015 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 06:12 AM   #86
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I would have thought the RTF's is ideal to have for your daughter, incase of an emergency.
Have a kit to make a quick repair if needed but would generally rely on roadside service. We already practiced a repair on one of my old truck tires.

Just do not like the RFT handling performance
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #87
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Have a kit to make a quick repair if needed but would generally rely on roadside service. We already practiced a repair on one of my old truck tires.

I am the kit with my wife's car, so i would be very happy if her car had RTF's
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #88
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts
Quote:

I am the kit with my wife's car, so i would be very happy if her car had RTF's
Has she had an actual flat with an RFT? Mine calls me anyway. And this crap about 50 miles at under 55 mph is laughable. Three miles at under thirty and it was chunking apart and very nearly on the rim. Useless. Roadside and real tires from here on.
Appreciate 0