Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-13-2010, 06:18 AM   #1
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

Annoying rattle on passenger side

Hi all just wondering is anyone else hearing a rattle on the passenger side of their x1.

Sounds like it's coming from near the top of the dashboard near the corner of the windscreen.

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
JoeSay
Australia
Rep
Drives: E84 X1 sdrive20d

I heard something similar on mine the other day, only to discover that it was the passenger seat belt buckle knocking against the side of the seat (the plastic bit).

Maybe yours is the same??

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

afraid not a trip to the dealer may be on the cards. I think when something is either expanding ir contracting behind the dash depending on the weather i.e. hot or cold
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

I have some rattle on the doors, that happens sometimes in rough roads... (if you apply outward pressure to the door panels it stops - but it's annoying as hell)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
I have some rattle on the doors, that happens sometimes in rough roads... (if you apply outward pressure to the door panels it stops - but it's annoying as hell)
Exactly same annoying rattle also happens on my front doors, stops as you say, service tightened the bolts under the door cover but it still makes the noise when weather is cold.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
mrbodhi
Rep
Drives: Mini Copper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmcred View Post
Hi all just wondering is anyone else hearing a rattle on the passenger side of their x1.

Sounds like it's coming from near the top of the dashboard near the corner of the windscreen.

Thanks all
could be that you have your stearing well on the wrong side of the car....;-)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

lol @ mrbodhi

Will check the doors to be honest it sounds like something loose behind the dash knocking on rough roads it's very noticeable

Also can anyone tell me what this is please I think it's for the phone system:
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
gundie2
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d

Hi I just came back from the airport and I also noticed the same rattling noise coming around the passenger dash area, while I was traveling over some rough Road surface due to road works. Wondering if it could be a loose fixing behind the dash panel?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

Exactly what I'm thinking gundie2
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
Taylan
Rep
Drives: 2011 X1

alexmcred,
did you find out the reason of the rattle?
Its been only 3k kms and there started the same kind of noise on the passenger side of mine, too... it makes me crazy on bumpy roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #11
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

Sorry Taylan have not had the chance to get to a dealer.
Will hopefully get time next week to get it sorted
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 01:35 AM   #12
Barrysydney
Rep
Drives: 2010 23xd

Hi guys, I have my X1 for nearly four months and start hearing the rattling noise coming from near the center or passenger side dashboard when driving on some not so smooth road (it does not have to be on rough surface).
Can I have some advises before I talk to the dealer please?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 07:27 AM   #13
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

Hi Barry the noise went away in mine before I got a chance to bring it into the dealer. The noise went away when it cooled down for winter over here. Will see what happens when the summer hits again.

This will be the last summer the car will be in warranty so will have to get it sorted if it re-appears
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #14
Barrysydney
Rep
Drives: 2010 23xd

Thanks Alex, I have located the problem while I am taking a sick leave at home today. It took me more than a month to isolate the rattle. It was the E-tag, a small device that stick to the top of the windscreen for toll road. It was so strange that it was worst in summer. I just put a small piece of velco to reinforce the E-tag.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
Diesel-King
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sdrive18d

Hi,
I experienced some rattle noise, but from the drivers front door. The noise only appears when it is a bit cold outside (5-10 degrees C) and goes away when the inside of the car gets warmer (15-20 degrees C).

The fix is to put some thin insulation damping strip/tape underneath the door side trim. You have to remove the trim carefully not to damage it, for instance with an old plastic creditcard. BMW has some tape already applied here but not enough for the trim to rattle sometimes...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #16
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

I have some noise coming from the air ventilation on the top of the dashboard near to the A pilar. the noise normaly apears when the weather is warmer. Does anybody experiense identical problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #17
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

Ok just to update this. Car went back to Dealer with the passenger side rattle back (returned with the hot weather we had hence the long wait for a solution) So turns out there was a rattle coming from A pillar and two rattles from the door card. They also had to tighten the boot lock as that was loose/rattling as well.

So all sorted for now

They also kinly carried out my oil service when the car was on 4500km's early so saves me having to go near a dealer till December when the brake fluid is due for changing.

Only downside is they want €250 per tyre to replace the two backs. Can get Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A tyres from local tyre place for €170 inc fitting etc
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 01:40 AM   #18
empyrean
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240 M Performance edition

Hey, I also hear that annoying rattle, as described it seems to come from the center of the windshield I can hear it in the middle of the dash. Anyone else solved this issue? I heard earlier there has been a problem with several 2010 X1's that there was a defective seal of the windshield that made a storng wind noise, could it be also causing a loose windshield that rattles?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #19
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

The final solution to this was the dash bolts had to be tightened and after that there has been no rattle
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
mpavfc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Had my brand new x1 around 2 weeks now and I have noticed the rattle above the glove box which I first thought was coming from the passenger side vent near the window. I have since found out it is coming from the silver trim above the glove box. This is when travelling over rough road surfaces. If I keep my hand on the trim it stops. Also it doesnt seem to occur once the car has warmed up. Think I may just live with it as I havnt really read anywhere that anyone has had much success in resolving this and dont want to potentially develop further rattles in an attempt. Has anyone had the same or had any joy in sorting.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep

That is the symptom that I had as I said it was simply a loose dash bolt the problem was getting to a Dealer who actually knew what they were doing
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #22
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmcred View Post
That is the symptom that I had as I said it was simply a loose dash bolt the problem was getting to a Dealer who actually knew what they were doing
That's been my issue too - had this rattle and the driver side door one. Despite pointing the dealership at the Internet posts, having them look up (and confirm!) that a spare part does exist for the driver side rattle (some additional padding/insulation) and so on, they still failed to resolve either rattle.

"we couldn't hear it" - did you try it when it was cold, or on a rough surface
? "Er, no" and so on. Rattle is better than their potential "cure".

I got a customer survey through from BMW yesterday about it actually - needless to say I won't be returning it filled with "5 - I am overjoyed" ratings.

Don't even get me started on the same dealership not understanding the difference between wheel rims and brake disks.

Sadly I only have the choice of the one, so cannot shop around.
Appreciate 0