Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-09-2014, 05:48 AM   #1
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Dash cam for the X1

Bought this Blackvue camera a little while back, mostly in case of an accident. But it works as a witness for other things like this car fire the other day going into work.

I come up on this guy's honda that has caught fire in the engine compartment. As I drive up he's on his cell phone walking back toward the car, as you can see on the left, (I assume calling 911) so I park and get out and ask him if he has an extinguisher (shakes his head no). So I grab mine and attempt to put it out, but it's not enough. So I asked him did he just call 911, and he says no. So I tell him to call 911 and get a fire truck on the way, then walk back to my car to put up the empty extinguisher. Walk back to him and ask if the fire dept was on the way, he says "no speak english good" Told him to go ahead and call they have people that speak spanish. Walk back to the car to get my cell phone to call work and say I'll be late, and turn around as he's handing his phone to me to talk to 911 and get a truck on the way. So you'll see a break in the video from when I first pull up on it, then as it starts back after all that in the description is done and were waiting on the fire dept.

(you'll also notice me back up a little from time to time as the fire continues to spread on the car)

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #2
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Did you install and wire everything up yourself? What does this cost, all-in?
Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Right now that model car cam is just over 200.00 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-Wi-Fi...-fi+dr500gw-hd

It comes with the windshield mount and a really long power cable/wire that can be plugged into the cig lighter or hardwired, whichever is your preference. They have multiple models depending upon what you're looking for in features. It writes the video to a microSD card. My 32gig card is good for about 3 weeks worth of daily driving video before it overwrites. Plenty of time to go back and pull it if you need it.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

I have one that I bought from Amazon. The cost was less than $75.00. It has a front and rear facing camera, IR for night time, 2.0" TFT LCD screen, and a 1 MP front camera. Both the front facing are rear facing camera are wide angle cameras. It also records sound and a G sensor to automatically save the incident surrounding a crash. I can not find the name anywhere on the box but if you search on Amazon for Car DVR, it should show up. It also supports up to a 32 GB micro SD card.
      09-13-2014, 02:20 AM   #5
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
Right now that model car cam is just over 200.00 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-Wi-Fi...-fi+dr500gw-hd

It comes with the windshield mount and a really long power cable/wire that can be plugged into the cig lighter or hardwired, whichever is your preference. They have multiple models depending upon what you're looking for in features. It writes the video to a microSD card. My 32gig card is good for about 3 weeks worth of daily driving video before it overwrites. Plenty of time to go back and pull it if you need it.
I am just in the market for a witness camera. I do want a small one and I would like to know if it can be wired through the mirror or something, to eliminate the cables running from the windshield to the cigarette lighter. I would also like to know if it records sound as well.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rps View Post
I have one that I bought from Amazon. The cost was less than $75.00. It has a front and rear facing camera, IR for night time, 2.0" TFT LCD screen, and a 1 MP front camera. Both the front facing are rear facing camera are wide angle cameras. It also records sound and a G sensor to automatically save the incident surrounding a crash. I can not find the name anywhere on the box but if you search on Amazon for Car DVR, it should show up. It also supports up to a 32 GB micro SD card.
There are certainly more inexpensive alternatives. This is one that a member of our car club pointed out and said he was going to get, but I have no experience with the model or have spoken to someone who does.

http://www.amazon.com/Internal-Origi...dp/B00HFZZSK0/

Several of us do own the Blackvue cameras and have been pleased with them. I actually have two, one front facing and one rear facing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I am just in the market for a witness camera. I do want a small one and I would like to know if it can be wired through the mirror or something, to eliminate the cables running from the windshield to the cigarette lighter. I would also like to know if it records sound as well.

Thank you.
The included power cable comes with the cig lighter plug attached, but of course that can be clipped off and wired anywhere you want. A couple of the car club guys have theirs wired through the mirror. Personally I ran the cable up the back of the mirror, tucked it into the headliner and ran it down along the inside into the dash and it pops out right by the cig lighter plug. It really can't be seen and people that sit in the car ask me where I ran the wire for the camera. It does have a built in Mic, I just have mine turned off when it starts up. You can set several of its features to be enabled or disabled when the camera starts. The mic is one that can be turned on or off just by waving your hand near the camera. Blackvue's product page describing all its features on the camera is below,the WiFi capability with this one is nice to have. But they might have a different model you'd be more interested in, feature wise.

http://blackvue.com/en/contents/sub1.asp?idx=16

Here's another video from several months ago. I thought I was going to get to catch a red blooded redlight runner smash a car right in front of my camera, but luckily the person making the left hand turn opposite of me was paying attention and saw the person coming through the redlight and stopped. Note the light runner ends up going into the opposite traffic's left turn lane as they go on through the intersection.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

CIWS, thank you for your reply. I find the quality of your video very satisfying for camera's purpose. I need to look better into it and do my homework, but I definetely need one.
Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
jkrazy
Rep
Drives: X1

Any chance you can post a pic from the outside so we can see how the camera sits on your windshield? Is it really conspicuous?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrazy View Post
Any chance you can post a pic from the outside so we can see how the camera sits on your windshield? Is it really conspicuous?

If you look for it. at it. you'll see it. Which can be a good thing if you want people to know they're on video. This was taken last year at one of the meets. If you look just to the left of the rearview mirror mount point near the top of the glass you see it. If there was any glare on the front glass it would be much harder to see.

Appreciate 0