XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
b-unit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

X1 rear bumper compatibility with BMW bike rack

I'm in Canada, I went to order the BMW bike rack that screws into the rear bumper and my dealer is saying BMW Canada will not let dealers sell the rack without purchasing a new bumper assembly as the stock bumper will not support the rack in terms of the load (nothing to do with the lighting assembly). This is only for X1's from 2013 onward (in Canada we had the 2012 which apparently had the compatible bumper). I checked with a few different dealers to validate and they are all saying the same thing.

He broke down the pricing as follows: bike rack $695, new bumper assembly $305, labour to install new bumper $300-400.

Does this sound right? Sounds ludacris that it will cost around $1500 after tax to be able to haul 2 bikes occasionally. I thought the point of the "SAV" was to easily enable activities like going mountain biking and now BMW is cheaping out on the stock bumper in order to support their very own rack? I love the concept of the screw in bumper, it was one of the selling points for me picking this vehicle and now I learn that I will be forced to pay for a new bumper and the labour if I want to use this???

Anyone else have experience with this or has anyone been able to just use the stock bumper with this rack without a problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

BMW won't even offer that rack down here in Mexico when I inquired about. I understand why now. I would suggest following your dealer's recommendation so as not to void your warranty. You could try a hitch rack although it might interfere with the aesthetics of the car's rear unless you get something like an execuhitch. We settled on BMW's roof rack and purchased Thule's 591 (might be called 598 in Canada) bike carriers separately. We tried it over the weekend with two bikes and it works really well. We just have to remember to hide the car's garage opener whenever we mount the bikes.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
We just have to remember to hide the car's garage opener whenever we mount the bikes.
I drag a folding chair to the garage entrance so I don't try to pull in. Also remember not to go through a drive thru or similar low overhang.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

FWIW...
I installed the Execuhitch and it works great. A little pricey but I didn't want an UGLY receiver sticking out/hanging down from under the rear bumper. It does just what is says it does.
http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/bm...ler-hitch.html

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
FLX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 28i

I am no engineer, but find it a little hard to understand why the bumper ports that are suitable for pulling the entire car out of a snow bank, for example, should be of insufficient strength to hang a bike rack and a couple of bikes. Of course a bike rack presents a largely vertical load, rather than a lateral pull, but it seems that BMW made it work in Europe, at least. Or if it isn't a strength issue, I'd love to see what DOT reg prohibits a bumper mount- given the license-plate- and brake-light-obscuring hitch mounted attachments I've seen, I would be surprised if that's the issue. Perhaps there's something different with our US bumper strength/crush regulations, but if that's the case I'd like to see that explained rather than just a vague "we don't sell that here." Pictures of the thing for the X1 and the Mini are all over the Internet, so folks know it is out there and, like you, may be basing their purchase decision in part on that.
I agree the Execuhitch is an elegant solution, but BMW doesn't offer that as an option here in the US either and so far has refused to give me definitive information about whether they might argue that it caused some damage or warranty-voiding change to the car if it were mounted. I have asked several times and always get back rote "we only recommend official BMW accessories" and "check with your dealer" information. I know what US law says about aftermarket parts and warranties, but really don't want to have the argument later if something arises and I got a "sure, go ahead" from a guy at a dealer somewhere. Just so you know, however, the Execuhitch also replaces the horizontal metal bar which is hidden behind the plastic outer cover, and I understand from other threads that Execuhitch makes the BMW hitch in some other markets. And if you use the Execuhitch you can mount whatever brand aftermarket rack you like.
I think it's a little ridiculous for BMW to market an "SAV" with no option of some sort of rear-mounted rack, even if it were to impose a weight restriction. Call and email BMW Customer Service and let them know your thoughts. And let us know what story you get from them, as opposed to your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
loukas135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Oh boy ... if you knew all the emails I have exchanged with BMW Canada on this matter ... They don't care at all !!!

I ask them why a Sport Activity Vehicle was incompatible with the "Activity" part of the term ... I too was informed that I had to buy a Retro Fit Kit at 300 $ with 3 hours installation fee added to be able to buy a 695 $ bikes rear bumper rack.

Oh and by the way, my dealer said it was required for collision safety concern ?!? Damn it ... Should we buy that reason ? Security for what ??? A 15 Mph rear collision ?? All the tests are done at those ridiculous speed ... I really don't know what to think about that ... Will my family be place in harm way if I put this rack on my X1 without a retrofit kit ??? This is a non sense.

I have complain directly to BMW Canada and they throw me on my butt for this issue. I tought they should be paying for this retrofit kit. I saw a similar case with BMW X5 and a retrofit kit in the US and BMW USA was taking care of the matter at their expanse.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...oryRecall.aspx

BMW USA had the issue resolved through a recall. In our case, they arrange to not let any bike rack go without this retro fit kit so they don't have to make a recall and pay for it I presume. They are stubborn at the least.

I also take a look at the InvisiHitch but the shipping in Canada is pricey and we still would have to find a shop which will be able to install it ( my dealer won't ) . I will probably buy it in a year or two and will make the shipping to a USA dealer and take appointment during some vacation time to save costs ...

Thank you BMW Canada ... The X1 is great but you sucks badly.

Last edited by loukas135; 08-14-2013 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
FLX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 28i

You can install the Execuhitch yourself; if you email them they will email you the installation instructions, with pictures, that shows you what is involved. They also say they can help you find a shop to install it. Or . . . road trip!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLX1 View Post
You can install the Execuhitch yourself; if you email them they will email you the installation instructions, with pictures, that shows you what is involved. They also say they can help you find a shop to install it. Or . . . road trip!
I installed mine in about 3.5 hours and the Execuhitch instructions were for a non-Msport X1 so I had to figure out a few things along the way. Not that hard...just tedius and I'm not nearly as flexible (at 55 yrs) as I used to be.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

b-unit,

This is correct. The EU X1s had two holes in the crush bumper that allows of the installation of the BMW rack. So you would have to replace the crush bumper with the EU version. It's strange because the bumper has the two holes for the mount...

I'd install a Kurt hitch instead.... it's far cheaper and you have more rack options.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

I have the 2012 X1 in Canada, does 2013 don't have 2 holes in the bumper cover?
Appreciate 0