XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

08-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #1
mariobgr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2011

Recent E84 owner - any advice for better care?

Hello, fellow Bimmers!

Recently I bought an used X1 and so far - so good. Drove it for 2k km (1,2k miles) in two weeks - I love it. And I want to keep loving it for as long as possible before I sell it (in an year or two) and buy a new one - probably X3, will see when the time is right.

My car is 2011 20d xdrive, bought it at 240k km (150k miles). Before I bought it it went to BMW for a review - they said everything is fine. This is my first BMW, my first automatic transmission and my first diesel car - i don't really know how to take good care of these.

So far the only thing I was told was to wait a minute or two after a longer drive to cool down the turbo and not to play too much with the transmission - I keep it on D while waiting on traffic lights. I do love to put it on DS though, just to get a better boost when I go or when I just feel like driving a bit sporty. How bad is that in a long term? I'm wondering about chip tuning to decrease the initial lag which bugs me a bit, compared to my previous manual transmission cars. Is that a bad idea?

I will do my best to change the oil every 10k km (6k miles).

Anything else I should know?
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Congrats.

Modern turbo cars don't require any special cooling procedures. They are designed to drive like any other normally aspirated car. Unless you have done some spirited drive with high throttle applications or track racing, you can switch off the car normally. Idling it for "cool down" under normal circumstance is just wasting gas.

Again, the car is designed to be in any Drive Mode you require. Eco, D, DS or fake manual... whatever should be fine. 240km is.... pretty darn high. I'd look into changing all the fluids as soon as you can.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 06:17 PM   #3
X1Denver
niner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X1 Alpine Xdrive35i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Congrats.

Modern turbo cars don't require any special cooling procedures. They are designed to drive like any other normally aspirated car. Unless you have done some spirited drive with high throttle applications or track racing, you can switch off the car normally. Idling it for "cool down" under normal circumstance is just wasting gas.

Again, the car is designed to be in any Drive Mode you require. Eco, D, DS or fake manual... whatever should be fine. 240km is.... pretty darn high. I'd look into changing all the fluids as soon as you can.
Waste diesel. Not gas. 😛
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
mariobgr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2011

Thanks for the advice. I was assured that all the fluids were changed before selling. But I will change them probably by the end of the summer, just to be on the safe side.

One more thing - I'm not completely sure about the diesel quality in my country. Any additives that you might recommend using?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariobgr View Post
Thanks for the advice. I was assured that all the fluids were changed before selling. But I will change them probably by the end of the summer, just to be on the safe side.

One more thing - I'm not completely sure about the diesel quality in my country. Any additives that you might recommend using?
No receipts = bull$hit. Don't take chances.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #6
Jitin02
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
No receipts = bull$hit. Don't take chances.
I am using bmw Fuel addictive from my bmw dealership.
Appreciate 0