XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

09-07-2017, 04:14 AM   #1
sbike
Rep
Drives: WRX, hoping for 2 series.

Buying an X1.

Greetings all,

Been lurking in the forums and finally decided to get an X1. I had a WRX for awhile, upgraded to a forester XT... but always missed the WRX. AWD, great in the corners, and pretty quick. Sadly subaru dumped the WRX wagon. The X1 (E84) is looking like quite a nice WRX upgrade. Thanks to the forums I found all the details on dropping hydraulic steering and switching to a FWD biased platform in 2016.

I read up a fair bit on the BMW CPO program at edmunds, auto car trader, cars.com and related. Sadly they all (even some BMW dealers) describe a 2 year/50k on top of the BMW 4 year 50k warranty for a total of 6 years/100k. Sadly BMW seems to have recently changes to a 1 year/unlimited miles.

Any opinions on CPO? The "NOT covered" list is pretty daunting. The list is at:
http://cpo.bmwusa.com/Content/docs/B...NotCovered.pdf

In any case, anything I should watch out for for in a 2013-2015 X1? Hoping to go shopping this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #2
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Daunting? If it's wearable parts, I wouldn't want to cover those either!

We had a Forester XT a while back. This kinda reminds me of it -- a fast wagon kind of thing. We are also disappointed in the lack of a WRX hatchback. However, we did notice that there's an "Impreza Sport" that looks nice; I dunno anything about it, tho.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 01:40 AM   #3
sbike
Rep
Drives: WRX, hoping for 2 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
Daunting? If it's wearable parts, I wouldn't want to cover those either!
Well say you buy anything but the absolute bare bones X1, then you end up with the sunroof. The sunroof is a "wearable part"? Seems kinda silly to practically force you to buy a sunroof, then if it leaks you aren't covered.

The list of exceptions pretty long, seems like BMW is sending a message that they expect to spend $$$ fixing the list of parts they exempt within the first 5 years!

They don't cover locks, door handles, cat converts, locks, sunroof leaks, headlights, rust, suspension, shocks, drive belts, exhaust, etc. The only thing I'd really consider "wearable" in the first 5 years of a premium car would be things like wipers, tires, fluids, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
mhx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goat

buy an extended warranty from the bmw dealer. will be worth every penny if you need one major service.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2017, 10:40 PM   #5
der_kommissar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Midnight Blue X1 xDrive28

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbike View Post
Well say you buy anything but the absolute bare bones X1, then you end up with the sunroof. The sunroof is a "wearable part"? Seems kinda silly to practically force you to buy a sunroof, then if it leaks you aren't covered.

The list of exceptions pretty long, seems like BMW is sending a message that they expect to spend $$$ fixing the list of parts they exempt within the first 5 years!

They don't cover locks, door handles, cat converts, locks, sunroof leaks, headlights, rust, suspension, shocks, drive belts, exhaust, etc. The only thing I'd really consider "wearable" in the first 5 years of a premium car would be things like wipers, tires, fluids, etc.
Well, if the exceptions bug you, then the new CPO plan is for you, because it's a full warranty now, equal to the original with no deductible for visits. It only lasts one year, however. Personally, the extra year of coverage was more important to me, as it covered the stuff that usually breaks on a BMW- mainly the engine. Anyway, go find the newest x1 equipped like you want and go for it. Its a great car, and you should be able to get a great price because dealers don't want them on their lots right now. Get the '15 to maximize your warranty, but it does have servotronic steering as standard, and you might prefer the full hydraulic of the earlier model years.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbike View Post

I don't know what they expect to break, but the things I worry about most are the big mechanical items -- does it cover the engine? Turbo? And for a BMW, for many years, I've heard that electrical is a big concern.

But that's definitely worth knowing that list of exclusions! I feel better about not having a CPO now.

Quote:
They cover the electrical parts of the handles and some other areas:

Quote:
; door handles and carriers (except for electrical/electronic components);
exterior moulding, trim and fasteners; gas pressurized springs/struts; glass - side, sliding roof, rear and mirrors
(except for electrical/electronic components);
So, the way I read that page is that the glass and maybe the sliding mechanism isn't covered, but the electronics are? It's not exactly clear.

If I wanted the most reliable car, I'd go back to Honda/Toyota. But they're not quite as fun to drive. Our other car is a Toyota, and it seems bulletproof.

In the meantime, BMW has been really good at covering things under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #7
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_kommissar View Post
Well, if the exceptions bug you, then the new CPO plan is for you, because it's a full warranty now, equal to the original with no deductible for visits. It only lasts one year, however. ...
OH great, now I feel worse about not having the CPO. ;-)
Appreciate 0