XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
back2bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1

iPod not being recognized?

This happens on & off but lately I've noticed it's getting worse. Not sure if it's the iPod or the BMW connection? I'm connecting via the USB so there should be a solid connection going on here.

Typically I notice the connection being lost once I turn of the ignition & then come back to the car again. What I normally do is a hard reboot of the iPod, let it power back up & it seems to do the trick & it's recognized by the car.

This time around I notice the connection is indicated on the iPod with the BMW logo & I notice in the media screen it shows how many songs played/remaining but no song, artist, album info & no music is being played?

I'm not 100% ruling out the iPod but I don't have another iPod to test. Has anyone run into this at all?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Royleblue
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d Sport

My money's on the iPod being the problem. I haven't got my BMW yet but I have seen the problem with my Tiguan. I did have issues with my old iPod classic which would reboot if I hadn't used the car for a few days but I put that down to a failing battery as it got worse to the point every time I turned the engine off it rebooted. However I now have a new iPod classic which normally carries on at the point it left off, but I have seen it start again with the first song and once last week it was not showing on the radio display although the iPod was showing as connected. Strangely I have not seen any problems with an iPod Nano. Maybe it's a difference between the Classic and the Nano. What type of iPod do you have?
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 11:55 PM   #3
back2bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royleblue View Post
My money's on the iPod being the problem. I haven't got my BMW yet but I have seen the problem with my Tiguan. I did have issues with my old iPod classic which would reboot if I hadn't used the car for a few days but I put that down to a failing battery as it got worse to the point every time I turned the engine off it rebooted. However I now have a new iPod classic which normally carries on at the point it left off, but I have seen it start again with the first song and once last week it was not showing on the radio display although the iPod was showing as connected. Strangely I have not seen any problems with an iPod Nano. Maybe it's a difference between the Classic and the Nano. What type of iPod do you have?
Hope this helps.
Hey thanks for responding. Yes I'm working off an 80gb classic. I am leaning towards the iPod being the problem as well. It's been my "car iPod" for a while now starting with my c250, then sitting in my E350 and now with the X1. I don't use it for anything else so it sits in the car whether in heat or cold so maybe just the elements alone has damaged it along with Father Time! But I appreciate your input. Probably going to check eBay out for a used Classic
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
My 5th gen touch is all jankerjalmered. It barely works by itself, let alone trying to pair it with anything. I'm gonna have to bring it to Apple to see what the hell's going on with it
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35 M-Sport Dinan

The X1 is not the only vehicle that has problems with I-Pods.
The hard drive based I-Pods are very intermittent. The new I-Pod Touches and Nanos with the lightning connectors are the best followed by the last generation of Nano Touches. The last generation of Touches use too much power for the BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #6
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

The only time I have had trouble with an IPod in my X1 (with H/K) was with an older IPod Touch with an older cable, and then a new Nano with an "unauthorized" cable. Same thing as reported - would often have to disconnect and reconnect the cable each time I got in the car. Once I got an Apple-supported black cable for the new nano, I stopped having problems. Hard to find that short black cable but I love it - you can hardly see the IPod is there with a black interior.

so it may be the cable as well or instead of the actual IPod...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

I had the same problem with the iPod coming on and off. Tried different generations and sizes but with the same result.

Being pretty tired of this I took the car to the dealer with 4 different iPods for them to test and they did a thorough job.

The solution quite surprised me but it makes sense. The car actually caches all information like iPod music, cover art, phone book etc. and when there is too much data (around 20GB in total it seems) the interface becomes unstable because of cache overflow and the iPod and other external devices may refuse to mount.

So in my particular config I have room for approx 12GB of iPod music before the cache becomes unstable. If I load 15GB I experience problems, if I reduce my music to 11,5 GB it is stable. So my own testing seems to confirm the dealer feedback and they actually involved BMW technicians in Germany before arriving at this conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
That kinda seems like crap, I have 3gb of music etc on my 32gb and it still has problems. Although, my iPod by itself seems to have problems.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Due to the problems that I had with a 2011 X3 I have a lot of experience.
1. The newer Nanos and Touchs with the lightning connectors work most of the time. They will sometimes loose the information on the display but I have not had any other problems with the X1.
2. The previous generation Nano Touch and Nano with the old connector will also work the same way.
3. The previous generation Touch and all the hard drive models will only work intermittently at best.
I have tried these products on 3 different BMW products, the X1, X3, and a K1600GTL.
4. Use the Apple cord or the short cords that you can get at Best Buy in the cell phone section. The BMW cords are not needed and can cause problems. BMW makes 2 similar looking cords one has a chip that works with the older cars and the motorcycles.
5. The operation of the display is dependent on the amount of time that the vehicle has been turned off between uses. The X1 and X3 turn off in stages that is why when you are near your vehicle you may hear something turn on and then off.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix
That kinda seems like crap, I have 3gb of music etc on my 32gb and it still has problems. Although, my iPod by itself seems to have problems.
Also what I thought. But it was actually supported by my own tests and keeping the amount of data at this level helps me with (mostly) problem-free iPod usage.

I've experienced the same thing both in my X1 and my X3. But as always this may be an observation dependent on the particular sw versions both in the cars and in the iPods.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 01:07 AM   #11
back2bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Okay so what seems to be the consensus is to either:
A. Toss the Classic iPod & get a "newer" gen Touch or Nano
B. Or, reduce the amount of music being cache'd from the iPod to the BMW

It would still be hard for me to believe that this would point back to 3 different cars though as the problem? Like I said I had the same issue on a C250, E350 & now the X1. All had the exact same issue. The MB's did it more often, the Bimmer seems more stable probably because it's newer tech being that my MB's were 2007 & 2008 & now I'm dealing with a 2014.

Anyway, I'm going to try reducing my music first & see if that helps. If not I'll probably shop around eBay & get a used touch. Nano's aren't large enough to carry my music because I never listen to radio.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #12
iride4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I don't see where reducing the amount of data has anything to do with the newest I-Pods. In the X3 I could only run a 16g Nano, with the X1 I have a 64g Touch with about 30g of music. On the K1600 I have a 32g Touch with about 25g of music.
I have not had problems with either the X1 or the K1600 using the newest versions of I-Pods. I have not tried the Classic on the X1 and have no reason to try after the failures on both the X3 and the K1600.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #13
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep

The amount of data explanation was what I got from the dealer after they had kept the car for 3 days testing with 2 different classics, an iPod touch and a nano and also an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 5 hooked up as iPods. And they stressed that they had had technicians from the factory on the line as well. It may be bs because they simply couldn't find the error and that was the best explantion they could find, I'm not a BMW technician so I don't know.

But what I do know is that full caches causing instability is pretty well known within software engineering which happens to be my previous career. So the explanation made sense to me, in fact I experienced it today with my classic refusing to mount with almost 15GB of data, I reduced to a little below 12GB and it was fine again.

Each to his own, the solution works for me and even if it doesn't for everybody out there it takes 5 minutes to try it out and no harm done if it doesn't do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #14
back2bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I tried reducing the amount of music on my iPod classic to under 20gb & I thought it was the trick. It worked fine for about a week (which is actually typical even with a 30-40 gb) and it once again stopped connecting. Had to restart the iPod. I would try the Nano option but I don't have one & I don't want to buy one just to see it not work. Oh well, kind of sucks, you would think this technology would be something so simple to get right. But like I stated originally its NOT just BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep

That was just too bad. But did it work after you restarted the iPod or does it refuse to mount permanently? My 80GB classic (with 12 GB of music) also refused to connect the other day, the iPod screen went completely black and I had to rebuild all the software and data from iTunes for it to work again. So there seems to be no "fool proof" options here.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #16
back2bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBMW View Post
That was just too bad. But did it work after you restarted the iPod or does it refuse to mount permanently? My 80GB classic (with 12 GB of music) also refused to connect the other day, the iPod screen went completely black and I had to rebuild all the software and data from iTunes for it to work again. So there seems to be no "fool proof" options here.
No, I have the same Classic as you 80gb & where it it's very noticeable is let's say I go to the gas station for something quick. I cut the engine off & then like 5 minutes later I jump back in & then it won't play. Typically if all I do is go to work, let it sit in the parking lot all day until after work then go home it works flawlessly. It's those "short trips" for some reason, on & off again that it doesn't like.
Appreciate 0