XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

11-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #1
tuanvo1982
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive20d 2010

DIY - X1 xdrive 20d oil change

Could you please recommend what type of oil filter and oil (where) should I buy for xdrive 20d 2010 ? I am in Melbourne.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #2
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Try searching for the same engine on an E90 instead of our E84. The cars are virtually identical when it comes to the drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 01:21 AM   #3
tuanvo1982
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Cheers mate :P
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #4
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25 XDrive 28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanvo1982 View Post
Could you please recommend what type of oil filter and oil (where) should I buy for xdrive 20d 2010 ? I am in Melbourne.
I use "say's on the front of 5L container" Castrol Edge FST 5W-30 Fully Synthetic. There is no mention of Diesel on the container by the way. It is Important that you make sure and use the Part No.3373545 found at the Bottom Right Hand Corner on the back. Reason- Most Auto Parts places have there own Ref. No's, which can add to the confusion.
Dealer i got car from uses Shell which i believe BMW have switched to.
Closer to home Dealer uses Castrol, which wasn't as good as my above but has probably gone over to Shell now.
What ever Brand you prefer- Phone their Tech. Dept. and they will tell you the best oil for your car, safe than sorry.
I just get Oil Filter from Dealer Parts Section, cost around $32, not cheap but convenient.
My recommended Oil Change Service is every 2 Years, cost $200 BUT if i want Changed the following Year with my Scheduled Service it will cost me $350 because it's not in their schedule for an oil change. Why I will be doing own changes soon.
If you are intending to keep your X1, I recommend Premimum Fuel and using the best oil, replacing every year.
RAMPS - I just got from Repco. Brand is Scepter Pro Ramps, Heavy-Duty AND most Important for me 250mm Wide as most are not wide enough to take my Std. 225mm Tyres.
Sorry for long drawn out reply But everything helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
tuanvo1982
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTony View Post
I use "say's on the front of 5L container" Castrol Edge FST 5W-30 Fully Synthetic. There is no mention of Diesel on the container by the way. It is Important that you make sure and use the Part No.3373545 found at the Bottom Right Hand Corner on the back. Reason- Most Auto Parts places have there own Ref. No's, which can add to the confusion.
Dealer i got car from uses Shell which i believe BMW have switched to.
Closer to home Dealer uses Castrol, which wasn't as good as my above but has probably gone over to Shell now.
What ever Brand you prefer- Phone their Tech. Dept. and they will tell you the best oil for your car, safe than sorry.
I just get Oil Filter from Dealer Parts Section, cost around $32, not cheap but convenient.
My recommended Oil Change Service is every 2 Years, cost $200 BUT if i want Changed the following Year with my Scheduled Service it will cost me $350 because it's not in their schedule for an oil change. Why I will be doing own changes soon.
If you are intending to keep your X1, I recommend Premimum Fuel and using the best oil, replacing every year.
RAMPS - I just got from Repco. Brand is Scepter Pro Ramps, Heavy-Duty AND most Important for me 250mm Wide as most are not wide enough to take my Std. 225mm Tyres.
Sorry for long drawn out reply But everything helps.
I am very appreciated Actually I think it is 5.2L and Yes Yes I keep using vortex Premium fuel and I can feel the different. I plan to do oil change every 7000km because short trip. My old owner just do a major service at 48000km so I just need to do minor until more than 100K.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25 XDrive 28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanvo1982 View Post
I am very appreciated Actually I think it is 5.2L and Yes Yes I keep using vortex Premium fuel and I can feel the different. I plan to do oil change every 7000km because short trip. My old owner just do a major service at 48000km so I just need to do minor until more than 100K.
When I get my Receipt after Service it says that 5.2L was put in the car. Is that what you mean, the amount of Oil it takes?
They do say if you don,t use your car much or Stop Start and Short trips you should consider shorter Oil Changes.
I live in Country but if I was in City would probably take it for a run on the Freeway once or twice a Month.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #7
tuanvo1982
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTony View Post
When I get my Receipt after Service it says that 5.2L was put in the car. Is that what you mean, the amount of Oil it takes?
They do say if you don,t use your car much or Stop Start and Short trips you should consider shorter Oil Changes.
I live in Country but if I was in City would probably take it for a run on the Freeway once or twice a Month.
Yes I think the oil engine capacity is 5.2L. I normally run to highway every weekend and city in weekday.
Appreciate 0