XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

View Poll Results: What You Recommend?
Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Position (Utra High Performance All-Season) 4 9.76%
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (Utra High Performance All-Season) 21 51.22%
Michelin Primacy MXM4 Grand Touring All Season 5 12.20%
Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season (Utra High Performance All-Season) 3 7.32%
Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S All Season (Utra High Performance All-Season) 1 2.44%
Continental Xtreme Contact DSW06 (Ultra High Performance All-Season) 7 17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

04-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #45
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Also, your BMW dealer should be very careful in how they treat your car.
Yeah, it's the Mercedes dealers you have to worry about.

Honestly, a wheel change twice a year shouldn't be a problem, even if you get the pimply faced youth. But since the OP really wants All Season tires and not having to change, it's moot.
In that situation, my advice is to choose the AS tires that are the best winter tires. I'd rather give up summer comfort and performance than winter grip. Nokian get excellent reviews, but aren't the cheapest.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #46
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Yeah, it's the Mercedes dealers you have to worry about.

Honestly, a wheel change twice a year shouldn't be a problem, even if you get the pimply faced youth. But since the OP really wants All Season tires and not having to change, it's moot.
In that situation, my advice is to choose the AS tires that are the best winter tires. I'd rather give up summer comfort and performance than winter grip. Nokian get excellent reviews, but aren't the cheapest.
The money is not an issue. If Nokians are the best, I buy Nokians. Are they?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #47
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Nokians are great tires. We have their Hakka SUV's on our Q5. The WRG2 is Nokian's highly regarded all-season tire that's snow and ice rated. There is now a WRG3 which I have yet to hear anything about. I can only get Nokians in my area on special order, and the closest dealer is an hour away. The DWS is close in concept, though I doubt it's as competent in the snow. The DWS should wear better though.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian+WRG2

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian+WRG3
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #48
edx1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
From this entire forum only 6-7 people switched to NON Run Flats?
Only few in here are using all-season on their cars? Really?

C'mon guys, I need your input.
Many people here haven't put more than 2k-5k miles on their car and are on their first set of tires, many of which are all season or live in warm climates. Wait until next fall and you'll see an increase in tire questions.

Personally, I am getting the performance wheels w/summer run flats and as soon as they're dead (and hopefully they'll be dead this summer) I'm going non RFT. I'm also getting a second dedicated set of winter wheels and tires for my car. Putting all season tires on a performance car ruins the point of even buying one. It's unsafe to drive a car hard with the wrong tires and IMO that means either summer performance or winter tires. If you live in Seattle or rainy region it might mean the best rain tires. As much as all season tires try, they're not the best at both worlds. You can get a decent set of wheels and the right tires for under $1500 and I believe that is a good investment.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #49
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
Many people here haven't put more than 2k-5k miles on their car and are on their first set of tires, many of which are all season or live in warm climates. Wait until next fall and you'll see an increase in tire questions.

Personally, I am getting the performance wheels w/summer run flats and as soon as they're dead (and hopefully they'll be dead this summer) I'm going non RFT. I'm also getting a second dedicated set of winter wheels and tires for my car. Putting all season tires on a performance car ruins the point of even buying one. It's unsafe to drive a car hard with the wrong tires and IMO that means either summer performance or winter tires. If you live in Seattle or rainy region it might mean the best rain tires. As much as all season tires try, they're not the best at both worlds. You can get a decent set of wheels and the right tires for under $1500 and I believe that is a good investment.
I got your point.
Mine is a 2012, I think one of the first ten that arrived in Canada.
I have 22.000km on board right now. The tires are still ok, not to mention one is brand new...

I do have 17" wheels, the ones that came with the car.
My new wheels are the M ones that I mentioned in my first post (18" non-staggered). Those are the ones that I am gona use.
So, I do have dedicated wheels if I want. I just don't think I want.

My Accord Coupe, I run it sometimes with over 200km/h and it has the Michelin MXM4 so I don't think that I do compromise much on the performance by choosing something similar.
And I don't run tires until they worn out. At 50% I am buying a new set.

Yap, dedicated tires are good but 200km/h is fine for me. And many times I see good cars, nice equiped in the hands of an unexperienced driver.

Yeah, I was playing with the ideea of keeping them for winter etc., but after my experience with the dealerships...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #50
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
It's not so much the speed that's the concern. It's braking, handling and evasive manuevers which suffer greatly from all season tires. You could always have someone install the winters on the 17" wheels, and change them over yourself. I guess the dealers I deal with are different, because they never have left grease marks or have damaged any vehicle I've ever owned. And that says a lot, since my truck is more or less a bag of garbage that nobody cares about.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #51
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Ok, let's put it this way:

If I put away the fact that the RFT have a terrible ride, are expensive and leave marks on my garage floor, the Good Year's that the vehicle came with were decent in summer and snow.

The AWD Jaguar came originaly with all-season Michelin. The Accord came original with all-season Michelin. Now I know that the MXM4 are ok but not great in snow. I also know that MXV4 are much better, quite nice actualy.

So, how bad they can be if the manufacturer install them for all seasons?
Some people used them as they are all the time, replacing just the tires when need it. Right?

That's what I am looking to do.
If what I get, have at least the same behaviour as the Good Years, I am fine.
If Michelin will make the MXV4 on this dimesnions I will not look arround. My Jag with those was excellent. Some people with SUV on my street were not able to get out while I was fine. The driver matters too.

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-15-2013 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #52
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Continental Extreme Contact $161/tire x 4 = $644

Michelin Primacy MXM4 $127/tire x 4 = $508

Nokian WRG2 $267/tire x 4 = $1068

Nokians are more than double (with $70 discount now)

Gosh, that is a tough decision to make.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #53
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
The money is not an issue. If Nokians are the best, I buy Nokians. Are they?
I can't say, but they served me well when I lived in Scandinavia and drove a company car daily. Not as well as studded winter tires, of course, but well enough to deal with most anything except pure ice or deep snow. Some of the roads in Scandinavia are shaved instead of scraped, just making the surface flat, and that was no problem when being careful.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #54
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
I can't say, but they served me well when I lived in Scandinavia and drove a company car daily. Not as well as studded winter tires, of course, but well enough to deal with most anything except pure ice or deep snow. Some of the roads in Scandinavia are shaved instead of scraped, just making the surface flat, and that was no problem when being careful.
It seems that even in Non RFT area, there is still not much choice. I didn't expected that.
Anyway, I guess I am gonna give the Nokians a try. Whatever I will buy, I will let you guys know.
Funny thing, I didn't decided yet....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #55
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Today I have installed my Non RFT on my 18" 355 M style 8J non-staggered setting. My RFT tires still have over 60% but I just can't stand them anymore. Plus this Apple attitude, choose from all 4 models that we offer drives me nuts and I don't like it. There is no RFT tire out there that really shines. Plus they are special order, so no help in there neither. With money from two RFT I can buy a very good set of Non RFT and another one 2-3 years later, and I am running newer and better tires.

My final choice was Continental Extrem Contact DWS.(225/45/18)

After reading all the reviews, opinions, etc. I have reached the conclusion that all tirerack reviewers that put over 25 millions of miles on these tires can not be wrong. Doesn't matter how biased some of them can be, still, this tire came out very strong in all chapters. Only P Zero nero have a similar number of miles and reviews and the vote is unanimous, the Continentals are better. So I was thinking, what the heck, I know how MXM4 are in the snow, I am gona try these ones to see how they are.
The tuner where I bought them from said that they are very good tires, actually, the guy that I dealt with, bought them for his own car; that tells me that they can't be that bad.

I never had Continental tires, but I will se how they are.

What I can say after 100 km today with these tires:

- The 18'' M 8J wheels with Non RFT tires rides arround 30% better than 17'' 7.5J wheels with the RFT.
- the potholes do not have that scary sound anymore, nor that "mechanical echo"
- I can drive without chewing gum
- it seems that the car leans a litle bit more in the sides if I am doing the "moose test". In a way is normal, these tires don't have the hard reinforsements in their walls. Maybe is a perception that with the RFT the car was more like "on the track" in straight line but more difficult to make the turns. With the Non RFT the turns are much better, but in straight line the car seems different but not in a negative way. I guess I am not used with them yet, plus the tires are brand new.
- the car is quieter, now I can hear the engine quite clear
- the ride is softer on good road, it is actually much nicer and more cushy.
- also, as I said in the past, I am not really buying that "suspension tuned for RFT tires" crap; it seems that I was right. The car runs just fine.

I think is a perception, but when I am looking at the car from the rear, the old RFT on 7.5J seem to have a wider look than these tires on 8J.

In the negative way, I don't really like the sidewalls, they are quite bald. I am used with the Michelins that have these multiple lines which give the tire a better look from lateral.

In the winter I will update this thread to let you know how they will handle the canadian snow.

Hope it helps.

I would like to thank to all of you for your input in this matter.

Last edited by Teutonic; 04-18-2013 at 12:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #56
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I think you made a good decision based on your priorities. Although I will switch to dedicated winters for the snowy months, I run the staggered DWS's for the other three seasons. It's still early, but 1,500 miles in I'm tickled with the performance thus far. The only negative is the aforementioned hit to mpg's, which I will gladly exchange for the much improved ride, braking and steering feel.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #57
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
The only bad thing I've seen working as a mechanic's apprentice at a chrysler dealer is, Conti's tend to wear quickly. Traction is always really good and road noise is low. Typical customers for us usually had their conti's replaced after 30k Km or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #58
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Thank you HotRodW. I think they are ok. Time will tell.

Twix, it doesn't really matter if they worn out fast. If they are good for what I want, I am happy. If they need replacement, then I am gonna replace them. Until then, maybe more tires will show up, maybe Michelin will make the MXV4 in this size, and we can get some inputs about the new Nokian WRG3. They look interesting.

Today, in paralel with my other car I figured out why they look slimer than 17" regardless they are on 18"; the tire wall si curved towards the midle of the tire. Maybe that explains why is a litle bit "boaty" when I try the "moose test", but I guess that being narrower will help in the snow.

I am watching the trip computer, it seems that the gas is going up a litle bit. It was at 9.7/100 with the old tires, now I am at 10.1/100km. that's quite a change.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #59
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Just looking through the thread now (and thinking ahead), but I would've suggested Kuhmo 4X to be added to your consideration as well. While by no means a direct compare, I put these on my MCS and have been very happy with them from the standpoint of grip/traction, wear, and price point. Ultimately, I was looking for a non-RFT, A/S tire that had some sportiness to them (cheaper than full up summer tires). I had it down to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Kuhmo Ecsta 4X, and Conti DW or DWS. The 4X did very well in Tire Rack's own testing and were pretty good for wet and dry traction (sans snow). I ignored the snow reviews since I planned to run dedicated snow tires. The tread pattern looked favorable and the price was better than the Michelin tires (I'm a Michelin fan boy, too, btw). It seems, from reviews, that the Conti's had more sidewall flex so I rolled the dice with the Kuhmos and have been happy ever since. $614 for a set of 4 (staggered). They are lower on the consumer survey results at Tire Rack, but I've been very happy with them (including in heavy, cold rain on a small, light, weight imbalanced, FWD car). They've been very predictable tires, too.

General G-Max were something I also considered...relatively same price but a bit higher up on Tire Rack's survey results. I had great results with General AT2's on my old ZJ and wouldn't have a problem trying General again.

I would note that what I was after was a fairly priced, non-RFT, sporty A/S tire. I wasn't looking at summer tires due to price and not wanting to worry about running them in cold temps. The MCS is not my DD during the spring, summer, and fall months...it is mostly driven early spring, late fall, and all winter so I splurge on snow tires for it.

A lot of people like the Conti's, though, so enjoy. That many people can't be wrong.
      09-12-2017, 12:47 AM   #60
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Can I revive this thread? I have completely worn out my Pirelli P7 Cinturrato tires in about 14k. I have Nokian Hakka's for my snow tires.... but would love to get another AS tire that can handle the changing seasons here in CO. I want a softer ride and less freaking road noise...but I DO like to drive my car and have some fun canyon roads I travel frequently. What are the latest recommendations? I don't want to spend a ton <single mom > And what's with Pirelli AND BMW having zero warranty on tire tread or mileage with these tires?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 01:59 AM   #61
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade15 View Post
Can I revive this thread? I have completely worn out my Pirelli P7 Cinturrato tires in about 14k. I have Nokian Hakka's for my snow tires.... but would love to get another AS tire that can handle the changing seasons here in CO. I want a softer ride and less freaking road noise...but I DO like to drive my car and have some fun canyon roads I travel frequently. What are the latest recommendations? I don't want to spend a ton <single mom > And what's with Pirelli AND BMW having zero warranty on tire tread or mileage with these tires?
I am still on my Continental Extreme Contact DWS (my second pair), except the newer generation and I will stick with these tires. Extremely happy, including extreme harsh winter in Canada and hot summer. I think that they are one of the best choices out there for the X1. They are called All Season but they are rated as All Weather which means they can handle a full winter as well.

Link
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #62
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

I'm in Colorado as well and earlier this year changed over to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus.

I have been very happy with the performance of these (this has included a track day) and I expect you would be quite happy with them on your canyon drives. The ride softness is a night and day difference between these and the Eagle run-flats I had before.

I would go to Discount Tire to get them and spring for their tire coverage. I can't tell you how much money that has saved us for tires with premature wear.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #63
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i, 2013

Loving my Conti DWS 06. Closing in on 40,000 miles on 2 of 4 - had to replace 2 a few months ago after I got a nail in the sidewall of one. I push these tires hard, and they've performed very well.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #64
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

I am about to buy the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I can update once I have them installed for a few weeks.

***EDIT***

I just threw on my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ today. There is a night and day difference than the P zero runflat the car came with. Switching to a nonrunflat smoothed up the ride even with 19 inch wheels. The car is more responsive on turn in and I don't feel any tire roll when changing directions suddenly. My P zeros were at the end of their life when I got them but the Pilot Sports are quieter too. I have had these tires on for about a month now and I have so much more confidence driving in wet conditions. You have to really push the car before you find the limit.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive

Last edited by Turbod; 11-29-2017 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #65
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Want to love the DWS, but the horrid sidewalls really ruin the handling of the car. The 06 is marginally better, but still very sloppy feeling.

I know if they stiffen it up too much, they'll lose the snow performance...but man, it's so close to being the perfect all-season.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #66
Ja Gio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Want to love the DWS, but the horrid sidewalls really ruin the handling of the car. The 06 is marginally better, but still very sloppy feeling.

I know if they stiffen it up too much, they'll lose the snow performance...but man, it's so close to being the perfect all-season.
What PSI are you running?
Appreciate 0