Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

2014 X1 x28i M Sport European Delivery

So we just got back from our ED trip to pick-up our new X1. In total we did about 1,000 miles in 12 days and averaged 27mpg with a mix of highway and city driving. Short story, my wife loves her new car. We got Mineral Gray with Black interior. We initially ordered a Coral Red Interior, but due to vague inconsistencies at BMW and their customer service, we have a black interior, but alas that is another thread. The car is everything we expected and a whole lot more. I am very impressed with the 4cyl engine, and even more impressed with the 8 speed auto, excellent response, decent performance, and a sporty feel. I definitely prefer it to the 6 speed auto in the 35i, and, we are happy with the steering feel in the x drive, after test driving an s drive model (albeit without the M sport package). We opted for all seasons, because we don't have enough winter weather in SW VA to justify a dedicated set of winter wheels, but want to keep our traveling options open during the colder months, I did notice the all seasons were a touch floaty above 80mph, but other than the autobahn in Europe, I doubt that will be much of an issue here in the US. The all seasons are a square set up, so the same size on front an rear vs a staggered set up when you opt for performance tires, the one good point about this is this should allow us to rotate the tires to get a few more miles out of them, happy about that.

We picked up our X1 at the BMW Welt in Munich on the 14th of May. We flew in a few days early to explore Munich sans car, did the usual things, beer pretzel, etc. Our pick up time was late in the afternoon, so we had time to do a factory tour. They make 3 series sedans and sport wagons in Munich and several different engines, including the 4 cyl in our X1. While on our tour we did notice a bunch of parts and chassis that were 4 series coupes, very cool! The assembly hall was closed, likely because of the new 4 series coupe, but it was a good tour. We also spotted some pallets and various parts for 3 cyl engines, I know there are lots of rumors about this for upcoming Mini and future 1er models, so seems legit. We also took a quick tour through the museum to see if there was anything new since the last time we were there, there wasn't. Back at the Welt we did catch a few shots of the 1M safety car on display and sat in a M6, very nice.

Hoffbrauhaus

Marrienplatz

Surfing
[u2b]http://youtu.be/ghd8VJjQgtI[/u2b]
Delivery

After delivery we headed for Salzburg Austria, really just so we could drive the Grossglockner the next day on our way to Venice, what a drive!!!!!!!!!!! I think that was a life changing experience for both of us, only saw 1 cool car, a R8, but the rest of the views were just amazing.

Grossglockner

We were nervous about driving to and parking in Venice based on everything we read. But I'm happy to report it was so easy and stress free it is not even funny. We parked I the Tranchetto, not in the VIP lot or anything, just the regular parking.

We left Venice and headed to Florence, but on the way stopped at the Lamborghini museum. What an amazing place, we saw a few prototype lambos driving around, and the museum is really cool, small but well worth the visit. You can also do a factory tour, but they were all booked up when we were there. I tried to book a few months ago but they were already full. We spent about an hour there and then hit the road to Florence.

In Florence we stayed at the Riva lofts, based on info I found here, and let me say this place is awesome! We did the usual sights in Florence, but while we were there we happened across the 2013 mille miglia driving through the old town, saw some great classic cars.

[u2b]http://youtu.be/LYgY5F9kBtc[/u2b]

From Florence, we headed back north to Maranello, we toured the Ferrari museum, and drove a F430 just for fun. Yes I got sucked in to all the hype, but it was a cool experience. I will say my 1M feels faster than the F430, but honestly I did not get on it that much, great steering and brakes, wicked engine sound, and just a cool experience overall. The Ferrari museum was good, not nearly as good as the Lamborghini museum, but still a bucket list item. Maranello is very small, we drove around a bit, drove by the Ferrari factory, and well that is about all that is here, although in the area there are several other motoring related sights, Pagani, Moto Guzzi, several tracks, and other things that give this area the nick name the motor valley.

Ferrari

From Maranello, we drove north to Lake Como and stayed 2 nights in Varenna. Just a beautiful place, it was very quiet because the weather was a tad off while we were there, but did take a few ferry rides between the various towns and villages, and captured some amazing pictures.

One of the many Minis we saw on this trip (there were 2 car seats in the back as well!)

Lake Como

We left Lake Como and headed North back through the Alps to Zurich where we dropped of the car. We drove through the St. Gotthard tunnel in Switzerland, this tunnel is 17 km long, one of the longest in the world. This was really our only option since all the alpine passes were still closed including the Stelvio, so that will need to be another trip. We washed the car, and dropped it off, checked in to our hotel and flew home the next day. Now the long wait begins, should have the car back in 6 to 8 weeks.

TJ
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Great shots, those really make me miss that part of the world. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
aramosc
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 S-line 28i

Great post! Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

We got the car home today!!! Dropped off in Zurich on May 22nd, made it onto the Mignon, arrived in NJ on June 19, cleared customs and made it to the VPC on June 25, released to the carrier on June 27 and delivered to our dealer and then us on June 28. This seems like an amazingly quick turnaround for an ED.

TJ
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

That's awesome! Such an amazing trip.

I went with a buddy to get his 328 convertible back in 2010. Drove to Paris then Amsterdam. Would have done a Euro pick up for mine had I not already had the experience and had patience

The Welt is really impressive.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Zoogleboogle
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240 xDrive (on order)

Makes me almost wish I had gotten that color instead of white.. Love it in the mineral grey w/ the M package!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
odieman23
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive28i M-Pkg & HK

Garage List
yeap...great post...about the customer service in germany...uffff...mannnnn...they are one of the worst!!!...I can tell you..because I have live here in Germany for the past 3 years...and I also ordered the samer car...you got but valencia orange...coming soon pics....

did you enjoy..your trip..i hope so..please keep posting your experience with it
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
aris
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 xdrive 23d

Garage List
      06-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by odieman23 View Post
yeap...great post...about the customer service in germany...uffff...mannnnn...they are one of the worst!!!...I can tell you..because I have live here in Germany for the past 3 years...and I also ordered the samer car...you got but valencia orange...coming soon pics....

did you enjoy..your trip..i hope so..please keep posting your experience with it
Yes the trip was amazing!!! Seems like so long ago now.

Well it is really good to have the car home. My wife and I spent Saturday washing the car inside and out, giving it its first good clean...6 hours later we had quite the storm and we were out driving, so it needs to be washed again.

TJ
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
Diesel8810
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i MSport

Incredible.... Looks like you had an awesome trip.. Complete with seeing some Italian rockets.. I can't wait for the opportunity to do a ED on one of our future cars!
Appreciate 0