XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions

04-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #1
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

dead hyperlinks

I think this is more suited for VBB development but,

It would be nice if there where some site feature that would automatically disable dead hyperlinks (I hate wasting a click, only have so many you know).
It's not only a safety concern, none of us know if the link has moved or been hacked/altered or if it's just dead until we click.

On an even more technical side, It'd be neato if a code could retain the link info (intended page) even if the page were to move. That would prevent any dead link unless the page is entirely struck from the internet (sans archive.org).
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #2
rti35
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
I think this is more suited for VBB development but,

It would be nice if there where some site feature that would automatically disable dead hyperlinks (I hate wasting a click, only have so many you know).
It's not only a safety concern, none of us know if the link has moved or been hacked/altered or if it's just dead until we click.

On an even more technical side, It'd be neato if a code could retain the link info (intended page) even if the page were to move. That would prevent any dead link unless the page is entirely struck from the internet (sans archive.org).
If the page were to move from the original link, it's the responsibility of the website's webmaster to 301 redirect it to the new page. For example, if I were to move my website page www.RTIMarketing.com/SEO to /SEO2.0 , I would have to 301 redirect that original page to automatically forward to the new page. This is how dead links are avoided (or not so much avoided, but circumvented).

I am unsure if VBB has a plugin available to automatically find dead links, but that would be a useful start.