XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

05-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

VW’s 286-hp Golf GTI TCR is almost production-ready

This might be a great DD.

Volkswagen took the wraps off of the concept version of its new 286-horsepower hot-hatch, the Golf GTI TCR, at a VW enthusiast festival in Wörthersee, Austria, promising it wants to make a production version happen by the end of 2018.

The new range-topping GTI Touring Car Racing (TCR) trim would, when brought to market, put 273 lb-ft of torque down with its 2.0-litre turbo spinning at just 1,600 rpm, routed through a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission and a locking front differential.

Optional would be a package upgrading the 18-inch Belvedere wheels to 19-inch alloys; adding a sports chassis setting and DCC adaptive damping; and removing the 250 km/h speed limiter, enabling the car to reach 264 km/h at the top end.

A new front bumper improves aero and sets the car apart visually from the front; while a unique diffuser wraps around the exhaust tips. If that’s not enough, a stripe package with ‘TCR’ would tip off passersby as to what you’ve got.

The Volkswagen GTI TCR will almost certainly hit production by year’s end. Whether or not the car will be made available in Canada remains to be seen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Slot in below the R?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Isn't this just the Clubsport? A $400 Neuspeed module or $700 APR tune gets you the same thing without the front bumper though.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Yep: it would slot in below the R ... but barely. And that, along with two other reasons, is probably why it'll never come to North America:

- Mark VIII Golf due about a year from now
- Emissions testing because of the 'new' engine (and you KNOW CARB/EPA/etc. will take its sweet time with that)

Also, Autoblog posted about this yesterday and showed images of a four-door version. Sad to say this, but if the TCR does come to our shores, we'll only get the four-door version ... which will put it even more close to the R.

I give it a 5 percent chance of being sold in North America.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Isn't the two door dead everywhere, or just the US?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #6
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Not coming to this side of the pond unfortunately. VW always f%^*s the US market.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #7
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
You know, now that I think about it ... *checking*

Everywhere as of this model year. Rumor is it won't be offered in the Mk VIII, either. Apparently the two-door only accounted for about 20 percent of global Golf sales.

... and I'd say that was one reason I wish the Polo GTi was offered here, but VW has axed the 2-door version of THAT car globally, too.

Sad ...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:
You know, now that I think about it ... *checking*

Everywhere as of this model year. Rumor is it won't be offered in the Mk VIII, either. Apparently the two-door only accounted for about 20 percent of global Golf sales.

... and I'd say that was one reason I wish the Polo GTi was offered here, but VW has axed the 2-door version of THAT car globally, too.

Sad ...
Never understood two door hatches. I've had a number of two seat cars, but if I'm hauling rear seats around, I'd like a practical way to get to them.

Checked the DE and UK sites and the two door is still there, but not on the CA or US sites.

Even though I own a Mk7, I think the design language took a step back from the prettier Mk6. Hopefully the Mk8 looks less like the box it came in. Although I'd assume the US won't see it for another three or four years.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Never understood two door hatches. I've had a number of two seat cars, but if I'm hauling rear seats around, I'd like a practical way to get to them.

Checked the DE and UK sites and the two door is still there, but not on the CA or US sites.

Even though I own a Mk7, I think the design language took a step back from the prettier Mk6. Hopefully the Mk8 looks less like the box it came in. Although I'd assume the US won't see it for another three or four years.
I'm not a big fan of 4 door hatches.....in my humble opinion they aren't as sporty as a two door. Just my two cents.
Appreciate 4
Viffermike1753.00
lakefront560.50
Spa2k1194.00
LobB5109.00
      05-10-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
Quote:

I'm not a big fan of 4 door hatches.....in my humble opinion they aren't as sporty as a two door. Just my two cents.
I'd be down with a wagon, but nobody wants to give me one of those, especially with all three pedals.
Appreciate 2
RABAUKE4658.00
      05-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #11
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

What would be the reason behind this over an R? A souped up FWD gti or a crappier fwd R... not sure I get it... so now it will be 35k for a FWD GTI? uh... gonna have to say no way or the US will never see this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #12
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incontinentia Buttocks View Post
Yeah they've been there before with the Clubsport and Clubsport S.

Problem is all new GTi next year.
Built on the all new and socially-just LGBTQ platform. Rock on veedub
Appreciate 2
RABAUKE4658.00
      05-10-2018, 11:51 PM   #13
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

No RWD, no care.
      05-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
As a former MK6 GTI and then MK6 Golf R owner - I MUCH prefer the 4-door silhouette to the 2-door. Something always looked lopsided about the 2-doors to me....
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4463.00
      05-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #15
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
Quote:
As a former MK6 GTI and then MK6 Golf R owner - I MUCH prefer the 4-door silhouette to the 2-door. Something always looked lopsided about the 2-doors to me....
Agreed, the Mk4 and earlier looked natural as two (three) doors. But the Mk5 and forward just seem more suited to four (five) doors. Same goes for the first Focus compared to the current one.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #16
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

VW has said it will be coming to the U.S., but official release will not be until Dec. 2018. Production will include 2- and 4-door models, it will be German-built and it probably will slot in between the GTI Autobahn and the R, putting the price in the high 30s. Transmission choices have not been announced, nor have configurations for the U.S.

Based on my past experiences with 3 GTIs as daily drivers, VW can have my deposit as soon as it says I can have a 2-door with a sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 02:18 PM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
VW has said it will be coming to the U.S., but official release will not be until Dec. 2018. Production will include 2- and 4-door models, it will be German-built and it probably will slot in between the GTI Autobahn and the R, putting the price in the high 30s. Transmission choices have not been announced, nor have configurations for the U.S.

Based on my past experiences with 3 GTIs as daily drivers, VW can have my deposit as soon as it says I can have a 2-door with a sunroof.
I'd bet the odds of a US two door are under 1%. The US and Canada no longer receive any form of Golf two door.

Not sure I see the appeal of this model though. Why not buy a '16 two door and add an APR tune for half the cost?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 04:16 PM   #18
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why not buy a '16 two door and add an APR tune for half the cost?
If you can find a '16 or earlier 2-door. There are not many -- particularly with the PP (Performance Pack). Also, APR = no warranty.

I understand how some don't like the idea (or the look) of a 2-door hatch on a car as large as the Golf is now -- hence my bringing up the Polo earlier (and the Audi A1 now, among a few others). Thing is, there are some of us who don't want, or need, two more doors. I personally abhor four-door cars for personal use and think most four-door hatchbacks look as ungainly as some (ahem! ;P ) think two-door ones look.

To each, their own -- particularly on a performance car, on which, by the way, two extra doors adds considerable weight.
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1194.00
      05-14-2018, 04:19 PM   #19
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

I'll stick to my fwd terror.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #20
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:
Why not buy a '16 two door and add an APR tune for half the cost?
If you can find a '16 or earlier 2-door. There are not many -- particularly with the PP (Performance Pack). Also, APR = no warranty.

I understand how some don't like the idea (or the look) of a 2-door hatch on a car as large as the Golf is now -- hence my bringing up the Polo earlier (and the Audi A1 now, among a few others). Thing is, there are some of us who don't want, or need, two more doors. I personally abhor four-door cars for personal use and think most four-door hatchbacks look as ungainly as some (ahem! ;P ) think two-door ones look.

To each, their own -- particularly on a performance car, on which, by the way, two extra doors adds considerable weight.
APR only voids the powertrain warranty, and only what the dealer directly claims is due to the tune. Most of VW/Audi issues come from non powertrain issues. Except the weak stock clutch, but that's an issue even without a tune.

There are plenty of us with either Neuspeed or APR tunes with no issues, but I fully understand any reservations. I just also don't see this particular model as anything more than a "chipped" GTI with a warranty (not that I'm not jealous of the 18 warranty.) At least the Clubsport packs the actual R motor.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      05-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #21
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
meh
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #22
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

So much hate and ignorance in this thread. Not that I should be surprised, I suppose.

IF- and that's a monumentally huge IF, as I doubt it will happen- VW brought this to the US market, I'd buy one no question as my daily.
Appreciate 0