XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #23
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Well, it looks as good/bad as any other utilitarian hatchback/station wagon/SUV on the market, so that's fine. It'll be a Bimmer, so I expect it'll handle as well as a vehicle in that class possibly can.

But what sort of engine will it come with? Has it been decided if there'll be a diesel in the USA? If no diesel, that probably kills it for me, probably end up going with an Audi diesel or one of those plastic cars with electric motors the Japanese make. Don't need to be burning tons of fuel just to drive a wagon/SUV/hatchback around in the city.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #24
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Well, it looks as good/bad as any other utilitarian hatchback/station wagon/SUV on the market, so that's fine. It'll be a Bimmer, so I expect it'll handle as well as a vehicle in that class possibly can.

But what sort of engine will it come with? Has it been decided if there'll be a diesel in the USA? If no diesel, that probably kills it for me, probably end up going with an Audi diesel or one of those plastic cars with electric motors the Japanese make. Don't need to be burning tons of fuel just to drive a wagon/SUV/hatchback around in the city.
x5 has one doesn't it? the x5's are great, we loved ours, they get expensive fast out of warranty though
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #25
dr.bmw
Chirurgeon
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i AW/CR

Garage List
2008 125i  [10.00]
not sure if this argument has been made before, but SUVs fill a very popular niche between a proper 4WD and a family sedan/wagon. I like them because they are safer, both for the driver and the pedestrian, just as spacious and practical as 4WD in town, and more economical. They are generally also quite a bit easier on the eye.

My GF is upgrading from a 3-door RAV4 and this IMO perfectly suits her, she doesnt' think so tho, she thinkgs X1 is ugly and she doesn't like the extra 2 doors...
women...
      07-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #26
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
x5 has one doesn't it? the x5's are great, we loved ours, they get expensive fast out of warranty though
Yeah, but the X5 is way out of my price range, and the fuel economy is pretty low anyway. That 4-cyl diesel can get 40 MPG in the 1er hatchback. And living in a city, I want some practicality, but I also want a smaller vehicle if possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #27
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Hmm. CNet speculates that the X1 sDrive18d will make it over to the USA.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...TheCarTechblog
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #28
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

X1, X3, X5, X6..I do not understand the logic of the 4th SUV, if only it was a little bit smaller...
      07-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #29
adk749
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
X1, X3, X5, X6..I do not understand the logic of the 4th SUV, if only it was a little bit smaller...
For Mary and John, a recently married couple who is expecting their first child in February. The little new addition will not allow them to get around easily in either one of their current cars. They both work very hard, Mary as a caterer and John as an accountant. They would love to buy a new BMW but find all SUVs out of their price range, and just plain too big for their needs. They shop around and look at a CRV, Highlander, Forrester, Tiguan, etc. but really wish they could be behind the wheel of an "Ultimate Driving Machine". Enter the X1.
2009 135i Coupe, 6 Speed MT, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leatherette, High Gloss Black Trim, Sports Package, BMW Assist, iPod/USB Adapter, Heated Seats | Ordered: 5/18/09 Completed: 6/2/09 Shipped: 6/11/09 Delivered: 7/2/09
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #30
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk749 View Post
For Mary and John, a recently married couple who is expecting their first child in February. The little new addition will not allow them to get around easily in either one of their current cars. They both work very hard, Mary as a caterer and John as an accountant. They would love to buy a new BMW but find all SUVs out of their price range, and just plain too big for their needs. They shop around and look at a CRV, Highlander, Forrester, Tiguan, etc. but really wish they could be behind the wheel of an "Ultimate Driving Machine". Enter the X1.
My parents had corolla's and tercel' whats wrong with a 3 series sedan or touring. A stroller does fit in a yaris along with some grocery bags
Suv's are not safer it's just a myth
It's a trend that will get slower as gas prices increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #31
Evice
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk749 View Post
It is very romantic story but doesn't make sense. Especially when you look at the marketing photos. It is almost marketed as rich parents willing to give a gift to their 18 year old as high school graduation. They don't wanna spend as much, yet want a classy one to complement dads M6.

The difference between x3 and x1 looks so subtle. I hope I am wrong after I see the dimensions, from pics it looks as big as x3 to me.
      07-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #32
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

What is the HP/TQ on this thing?

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 06:24 AM   #33
adk749
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
It is very romantic story but doesn't make sense. Especially when you look at the marketing photos. It is almost marketed as rich parents willing to give a gift to their 18 year old as high school graduation. They don't wanna spend as much, yet want a classy one to complement dads M6.

The difference between x3 and x1 looks so subtle. I hope I am wrong after I see the dimensions, from pics it looks as big as x3 to me.
Funny, that story is partly true (names were changed). As far as your comment "It is almost marketed as rich parents willing to give a gift to their 18 year old as high school graduation.", in the Bergen County NJ area there are plenty of X3s, X5s, M3s, 328s, 335s, and Z4s that have big graduation ribbons on them in the driveway as graduation gifts. I believe the X1 will fill a spot in the BMW line-up, just as the 1er has. Ultimately, the consumer will decide on its potential success or failure.
2009 135i Coupe, 6 Speed MT, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Leatherette, High Gloss Black Trim, Sports Package, BMW Assist, iPod/USB Adapter, Heated Seats | Ordered: 5/18/09 Completed: 6/2/09 Shipped: 6/11/09 Delivered: 7/2/09
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #34
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
My parents had corolla's and tercel' whats wrong with a 3 series sedan or touring. A stroller does fit in a yaris along with some grocery bags
Suv's are not safer it's just a myth
It's a trend that will get slower as gas prices increase.
The last point is not necessarily true, if they bring the 4-cyl diesel over. The 118d get an average 5.8 L/100km (~40 US MPG) on the European cycle. Even assuming that the more conservative US EPA numbers will mark it down by 5 MPG, that's still beating the EPA numbers for the Ford Escape Hybrid, and the Toyota Camry Hybrid. If given a choice, I'd much rather have a torquey diesel built by BMW over a Toyota or a Ford with an electric motor.

If BMW is willing to bring over one of those 4-cyl diesels, that is. If they just equip it only with the usual N52 and let it go at that, you may be right.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #35
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
BMW SUV, Mercedez SUX, Porche SUV....Terrible, like making a Rolex Clockradio

Well said!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #36
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
UGH!

WTF is up with the "dent" in the doors? Why oh why can't BMW leave well enough alone and just design a damn good looking car without trying to add in all these special "styling elements" that will just drive me crazy each time I look at it???

It reminds me of the stupid boomerang crease that Toyota put in the RAV4 spare tire covers. Ugly and serves no purpose.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #37
BimmerLearner
My car is less than a week old and on its 3rd tank
Rep
Drives: Tiag 135 Vert

When is it out? 2010? i wonder when i can place an order.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #38
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

flavor flave ugly!
      07-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #39
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
The last point is not necessarily true, if they bring the 4-cyl diesel over. The 118d get an average 5.8 L/100km (~40 US MPG) on the European cycle. Even assuming that the more conservative US EPA numbers will mark it down by 5 MPG, that's still beating the EPA numbers for the Ford Escape Hybrid, and the Toyota Camry Hybrid. If given a choice, I'd much rather have a torquey diesel built by BMW over a Toyota or a Ford with an electric motor.

If BMW is willing to bring over one of those 4-cyl diesels, that is. If they just equip it only with the usual N52 and let it go at that, you may be right.
Problem is that Bmw is marketed as a premium luxury brand in America and I doubt that a fuel sipper or lower trim versions would sell well. However do understand your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #40
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Problem is that Bmw is marketed as a premium luxury brand in America and I doubt that a fuel sipper or lower trim versions would sell well. However do understand your point.
They may not have a choice with impending changes in US regulations with regard to fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #41
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
They may not have a choice with impending changes in US regulations with regard to fuel economy.
That and the fact that the US economy took a nose dive (removing thousands of sub-prime BMW wannabees from the marketplace) could make this offering one big flop. Given how much hype that seems to be getting stuffed into this forum, I suspect BMW is betting a lot on the outcome.
      07-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #42
schleppcar
Speed Camera Hater
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 3.0 Deep Sea Blue/Tan

EXCELLENT! The perfect Winter Alternative to the Coupe.

Life is way too short to skip good times when they come along!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #43
Evice
Major
Rep

any dimensions data on this new toy yet ?
      07-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #44
jkp1187
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
That and the fact that the US economy took a nose dive (removing thousands of sub-prime BMW wannabees from the marketplace) could make this offering one big flop. Given how much hype that seems to be getting stuffed into this forum, I suspect BMW is betting a lot on the outcome.
Which is why trying to make it a higher-volume car and stressing the fuel-economy angle could make sense?

(Maybe just wishful thinking on my part, as a diesel X1 could solve my future utility vehicle needs in a couple of years.)
Appreciate 0