XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

05-14-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
I think I broke myself

tldr: i am 20, driving a lincoln. i want a BMW but the lincoln spoiled me to the point where a 335i felt underwhelming. i think i broke myself driving a plush and gargantuan grandpa car to the point where a "proper" sports sedan didn't give me tingles. do i say screw it, get a 335i and even if forcefully tickle my pickle or basically lead the equivalent of a loveless, sexless marriage with my lincoln????

So I have a MKS that I got less than 2 months ago. It's the first car for my name so you can only imagine how hyped I was going to the dealer to pick it up. My only reasons to buy it was because it was green on the outside, had light colored veneer, decent audio AND a panoramic sunroof. Very shallow, but yes. Also has AWD and is a "normal" sedan so parents approved as well. Comes with the 3.7 V6 from a mustang which isn't bad but the car being 4300lbs and longer than an A8L doesn't do that engine any good.

Anyway, on to the topic. Being a long time BMW fan I've been thinking of getting an E90 or an early F30 if i can find one without paying on top too much. I also recently realized the E39 540i with a stick shift is a thing AND i can get one AND have cash on top.

Went to CarMax for shits and giggles over the weekend, they offered $6500 for a car I paid $11,900 less than 60 days ago. Surprise surprise, the 09 they have on their website is being let go for $13k so I didn't take that, naturally. But while they were appraising my car I test drove a '11 335i, no sport pack and RWD. I felt underwhelmed. Sounded awesome but I feel like it didn't pull as greatly as I thought it would. I'm not going to say my MKS feels faster but my friend's CLA250 4Matic definitely pulls harder than that 335i. Now I know that shouldn't happen so idk if the 335i was not performing as it should, but I geniuinely felt like I did not want a E90. I'm looking into stick shift E39 540i's now and over the weekend I'm going to the suburbs again to look at one very closely.

My main point is this, though. I'm only 20, and I'm driving a grandpa car. Unfortunately it is very plush and comfy and those cooled seats work wonders for my fat ass in the summer. As much as I like the car, I kinda hate myself for liking it because it just doesn't feel right. I can only liken it to paying for the "girlfriend experience". It sounds okay, feels decent but deep down you know that you shouldn't be doing this and secretly hate yourself for it. What do I do? My logical side says keep the car until you finish college and then go buy a fast/nice handling/both car but time is only ticking. My reasonable side says screw it, get a 540i or a E92/3 since you've always wanted one since you first saw one in 2007, something that'll remind you that you actually like driving for driving and not just to go from A to B. CarMax has a E93 328i LCI, Space Gray/Coral Red. Eyeing that car HARD.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Keep the car end thread.
Appreciate 2
shmad111.50
      05-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
IrvineTim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO F82

wtf!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Some things to think about...

An E39 540i is a cool car, but it's not going to be faster than a 335i, neither will it handle better. Still a cool car though, along with the E38.

The E39/E9x is going to have a higher cost of ownership as far as maintenance and repairs. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the Lincoln and how reliable they may be, or how much maintenance/repairs cost on them.

If you thought the 335i was underwhelming, the 328i will not be any better.

The N55 in the 335i you test drove is not quite as good as the N54 in the 2010 and down models, or the 335is.

If you truly feel the Lincoln is not for you, don't just jump into something else. Read about and test drive some more cars, then decide if the switch/added cost is worth while.

Think hard about how much you can afford/are willing to spend on maintenance and repairs, and still make rent/bills/daily expenses without feeling stressed about those things.

You're young, you've got plenty of time to experience many different cars in your lifetime. I don't know your situation, but I often see young people jump into cars they shouldn't just because they want them. If the Lincoln is reliable, stick with it until you finish school. Find a good job, get your priorities in check, put some money away that won't be used for the purchase of a car, but for emergencies... Once you've got those things in order, buy the car you want and can easily afford.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

You think the 335i is slow but are excited about a 328i? You're not making much sense here if you're actually serious.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
FlaPatsFan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i wagon

Op....Oh young grasshopper, you are only 20!!!!! Go chase pussy and other fun stuff....you have your whole life to swap cars!

Enjoy college and all that it brings. You are lucky to have a nice new Lincoln!
You don’t even wanna know the beaters I drove in college!

Keep the car....get an M3 when you finish school!
Appreciate 2
Rokoz294.50
      05-14-2018, 11:33 PM   #7
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Troll thread to the max lmao.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      05-14-2018, 11:39 PM   #8
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Some things to think about...

An E39 540i is a cool car, but it's not going to be faster than a 335i, neither will it handle better. Still a cool car though, along with the E38.

The E39/E9x is going to have a higher cost of ownership as far as maintenance and repairs. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the Lincoln and how reliable they may be, or how much maintenance/repairs cost on them.

If you thought the 335i was underwhelming, the 328i will not be any better.

The N55 in the 335i you test drove is not quite as good as the N54 in the 2010 and down models, or the 335is.

If you truly feel the Lincoln is not for you, don't just jump into something else. Read about and test drive some more cars, then decide if the switch/added cost is worth while.

Think hard about how much you can afford/are willing to spend on maintenance and repairs, and still make rent/bills/daily expenses without feeling stressed about those things.

You're young, you've got plenty of time to experience many different cars in your lifetime. I don't know your situation, but I often see young people jump into cars they shouldn't just because they want them. If the Lincoln is reliable, stick with it until you finish school. Find a good job, get your priorities in check, put some money away that won't be used for the purchase of a car, but for emergencies... Once you've got those things in order, buy the car you want and can easily afford.
Honestly what you're saying makes total sense. The Lincoln isn't exactly cheap I'd say - but I also know my way around a wrench so it's not a huge issue. One of my friends is actually from Champaign and has a garage with some tools.
However I see your point about trying other cars. I have a decently extensive list of cars I've driven and I really do not feel like cutting that list now. Lincoln is reliable, at least has been in the time I owned it. Getting some bigger stuff in order then getting a fun car sounds like a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
You think the 335i is slow but are excited about a 328i? You're not making much sense here if you're actually serious.
You're right - I did phrase that weirdly. I would NEVER call that car slow, especially on the high end the car (or so I felt like) just shines. That 328i was a manual, with the combo I love which is why I'm a tad bit more excited about than the steptronic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Op....Oh young grasshopper, you are only 20!!!!! Go chase pussy and other fun stuff....you have your whole life to swap cars!

Enjoy college and all that it brings. You are lucky to have a nice new Lincoln!
You don’t even wanna know the beaters I drove in college!

Keep the car....get an M3 when you finish school!
True, college has been fun By a rough estimate I still have 40-45 years (hopefully) to mess around and try new flavors. An M4 when I finish school is the current dream - Austin Yellow ZCP please!

And honestly, after coming up from a quick food run, I can say this is the reason I like this car. It's plush and just "nice". As bipolar as that makes me sound, it's a major reason why I shouldn't let this car go for a while. With all the allnighters engineering makes me pull (that and the lack of daily studying) it's just nice to sit in it and drive to my apartment.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 11:53 PM   #9
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

I might be biased being a 1addicts member but if you want a complete change look into a 135i. Now they are known for a couple reliability issues (like all N54's) but is light, handles well, and can have a ton of power, and is a coupe.

i'm 19 so I know how you feel, but id also say look into the forums. I bought my car wanting to mod it knowing very little about what could be done to it (128i), I lucked out and am still very happy with the path ive taken.

So take your time, don't just jump ship immediately if your change wont make you as happy as you want. the 335i is a cool car, but do you want a N55 or N54? sometimes having the older and the engine you prefer is better than being able to say its a few years newer.

Edit: you joined the forums when you were 11?
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2018, 11:58 PM   #10
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Plus, that mercedes 4matic: AWD will feel faster at low speeds, in fact it is, because the wheels won't spin, but once you get going faster than about 40-50mph, that acceleration drops off significantly, and the rear-wheel drive 335 will pull much harder, but at slower speeds, AWD, even with less HP, can feel opposite of this.
      05-15-2018, 12:12 AM   #11
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
I might be biased being a 1addicts member but if you want a complete change look into a 135i. Now they are known for a couple reliability issues (like all N54's) but is light, handles well, and can have a ton of power, and is a coupe.

i'm 19 so I know how you feel, but id also say look into the forums. I bought my car wanting to mod it knowing very little about what could be done to it (128i), I lucked out and am still very happy with the path ive taken.

So take your time, don't just jump ship immediately if your change wont make you as happy as you want. the 335i is a cool car, but do you want a N55 or N54? sometimes having the older and the engine you prefer is better than being able to say its a few years newer.

Edit: you joined the forums when you were 11?
i honestly have not thought of the E82 at all, but you're right there are 35i's of those. back home in Turkey I've only seen the E87 so it never crossed my mind. a stick E88 135i sounds like a blast
that's another thing, there's absolutely no mods I can do to this MKS other than maybe get the oem 20"s (mine has 19s) and tints, everything else would look too out of place not to mention no one makes anything for these cars anyway. and honestly the N54 would probably be more of my thing but the HPFP issues scare me.

and yes, no one checks for ages so it's been a minute since i've been here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Plus, that mercedes 4matic: AWD will feel faster at low speeds, in fact it is, because the wheels won't spin, but once you get going faster than about 40-50mph, that acceleration drops off significantly, and the rear-wheel drive 335 will pull much harder, but at slower speeds, AWD, even with less HP, can feel opposite of this.
that makes sense, because right off the bat there's about 100hp less in the CLA. and some 4 bangers sound good, but that 250 just doesn't. you can hear the engine but it's not necessarily something i'd want to hear...
put that car in sport though and in the city it hauls decently
Appreciate 1
519.E82245.00
      05-15-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

Don't buy a car because you should like it. Buy the car because you DO like it.

Right now you're telling us that you don't like the BMWs you have driven, therefore you should just be able to eliminate them off your list.

Mix it up, go drive something different like a GTI or Mustang or whatever and listen to what you feel when driving them.

General consensus and reviews are only good to point you in the direction you might be interested in. Buying something because everyone tells you that you should like it and you don't is just going to be a waste of money.

When I bought by MKV GTI back in 2009, the biggest reason I bought it was because everything felt right from the moment I sat in it.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #13
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Keep the Lincoln. You're better off.
If you have to have a BMW, replace it with an M3, M4, M5, etc. This is coming from a former 335 owner.
Appreciate 2
Ickdeep5718.50
      05-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #14
Zarrachan
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series (E90)

Great post
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #15
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Keep the Lincoln and finish college. The car does what you need it to do and then some. Its better to get your education and work on track before spending it on "fun" things.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #16
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Be humble to even have a car and be in position to drive it every day and be able to have the thought of working your way up to a nicer car.

Appreciate 2
      05-15-2018, 03:54 PM   #17
alfazrus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i

So, you joined the forum when you were 11?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #18
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

All I know is that I can't respect anyone who uses Kanye as an avatar. Even if he's from a place as culturally dizzy as Turkey.

#RambleOn
#KeeptheLincoln
#ApoelOwnsGalatasaray
Appreciate 0