XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

10-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #23
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
One trick ponies no longer interest me. The X5M is plenty fun to drive, plenty useful and plenty comfortable. So its not really comparable. If break neck launches, savage acceleration and eating corners in a comfortable SUV isn't fun; than I don't want to have fun by bouncing all over the road in car with track stiff suspension, on low profile tires in cement seats dodging every pebble in sight. Ive been through it, owning track tuned coupe of any degree is a pain in the ass and took its toll on my patience.

I get the GTR and NSX are faster but honestly they have a lot more to worry about on the road then i do. Ive never felt so confident in a car's chassis as i do the X5M, nothing shocks it and it eats corners with ease. Its really been a pleasure to own thus far.

MTs review of the GTS says all i'm trying to say but in an exaggerated degree of course.

Really? A X5M is fun? And a GTR is a one trick pony?
Sorry but me thinks you need to reevaluate.
And what exactly does a GTR have to worry about on the road?

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor

Last edited by 991GT3; 10-26-2016 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
Taskmaster2463.00
Doc Oc1420.00
      10-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #24
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

I'm wondering if Nissan can set the bar all over again with the next generation of the GT-R or if it will be only a revolution in styling and evolution in performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 03:41 PM   #25
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 991GT3 View Post
And you what exactly does a GTR have to worry about on the road?
I'm shaking my head reading his posts. He's one of those blind BMW fans - but it doesn't matter. BMW can't build a car on this level, and even if they could, it would be an overweight ugly SUV answering a question no one asked.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 03:58 PM   #26
Vossen wheels
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i N55

I still love the GT-R more over NSX. At the price of the NSX, maybe a GT-R Nismo would've been a better comparison.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #27
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Cars that require forced induction to produce horsepower simply don't interest me at all. I'll pass on the all-wheel drive and automatic transmissions too. For the price of a Nissan GTR you can buy two Ford Shelby GT350s with hand-built, high-revving, naturally aspirated, flat-plane crank V8s or buy three for the cost of an Acura NSX... I'd take a Shelby over any BMW being produced too.
      10-25-2016, 06:18 PM   #28
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 991GT3 View Post
And you what exactly does a GTR have to worry about on the road?
Every bump. Yes a 3.7 0-60 suv that handles like a sports car is fun.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 07:21 PM   #29
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
I'm shaking my head reading his posts. He's one of those blind BMW fans - but it doesn't matter.
Says the dude with a completely underwhelming e92 328 solely bc its a BMW. If I were a blind BMW fan i would own a BMW like that I guess, one that pushes 15 seconds at the track and lacks any luxuries. Talk about the kettle. Shaking my head.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 01:22 AM   #30
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't handle like a Sports car because it's an SUV with a high center of gravity.

Quote:
Says the dude with a completely underwhelming e92 328 solely bc its a BMW. If I were a blind BMW fan i would own a BMW like that I guess, one that pushes 15 seconds at the track and lacks any luxuries. Talk about the kettle. Shaking my head.
Yeah, a slow proper GT car > ugly, overweight SUV that isn't a GT car. Good thing I'm not a blind BMW fanboy who buys SUVs to pretend to be a sports car driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 06:53 AM   #31
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It doesn't handle like a Sports car because it's an SUV with a high center of gravity.

Yeah, a slow proper GT car > ugly, overweight SUV that isn't a GT car. Good thing I'm not a blind BMW fanboy who buys SUVs to pretend to be a sports car driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 07:20 AM   #32
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom
Quote:

Quote:
Pathetic posts man. This is my last post directed at you, my neck hurts from shaking my head. You truly are sad.

On the skidpad, the X5 M again defied expectations, posting 0.96 g, a lateral-acceleration number that puts it in league with genuine sports cars. Braking also wowed, with the stop from 70 mph requiring just 152 feet. (For the record, the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S recorded 0.90 g on the skidpad and required 156 feet to stop from 70 mph.)

GTR posted .95 and 157

Other magazine reviews

Power is the easy, but making something this big and heavy handle is the tricky part, and BMW's M division does it wonderfully. Steering is direct, responsive and weighty, and the way it demolishes bends makes you scratch your head. Massive 20-inch rubber helps matters, too, no doubt. And the brakes gets this rig slowed down in a hurry.

another
EXECUTIVE EDITOR ROGER HART: Not really sure who this 2012 BMW X5 M brute of a ute is targeted at, but I usually end up with a smile on my face after driving it. Maybe it's because something this big and this heavy probably shouldn't go this fast this quickly. Nor stop as well as this will. I recently had the chance to hustle one of these around Laguna Seca, and I was quite surprised at just how well the thing handled on a racetrack.

The X5 M is a perfect example of how BMW has been able to infuse its core DNA into a product that you would normally associate with performance cars. One could argue whether this is an answer to a question that few have asked, and at this price, few will want to pay for. But BMW did it, and did it rather well. Punch the M button on the wheel, stab the throttle and hang on. You don't have to wait long for a grin.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #33
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
A GT car is 2 doors and 4 seats, hence Mustang GT, GT-R- an X5M is a Truck, not a car.

Quote:
Pathetic posts man. This is my last post directed at you, my neck hurts from shaking my head. You truly are sad.

On the skidpad, the X5 M again defied expectations, posting 0.96 g, a lateral-acceleration number that puts it in league with genuine sports cars. Braking also wowed, with the stop from 70 mph requiring just 152 feet. (For the record, the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S recorded 0.90 g on the skidpad and required 156 feet to stop from 70 mph.)

GTR posted .95 and 157

Other magazine reviews

Power is the easy, but making something this big and heavy handle is the tricky part, and BMW's M division does it wonderfully. Steering is direct, responsive and weighty, and the way it demolishes bends makes you scratch your head. Massive 20-inch rubber helps matters, too, no doubt. And the brakes gets this rig slowed down in a hurry.

another
EXECUTIVE EDITOR ROGER HART: Not really sure who this 2012 BMW X5 M brute of a ute is targeted at, but I usually end up with a smile on my face after driving it. Maybe it's because something this big and this heavy probably shouldn't go this fast this quickly. Nor stop as well as this will. I recently had the chance to hustle one of these around Laguna Seca, and I was quite surprised at just how well the thing handled on a racetrack.

The X5 M is a perfect example of how BMW has been able to infuse its core DNA into a product that you would normally associate with performance cars. One could argue whether this is an answer to a question that few have asked, and at this price, few will want to pay for. But BMW did it, and did it rather well. Punch the M button on the wheel, stab the throttle and hang on. You don't have to wait long for a grin.
Bench racing - cool. FYI, the X5M with all of 550hp was slower than a Camaro V6 at VIR in C/D lightning lap, guess it's really not a performance vehicle. So in conclusion, you still drive an ugly, overweight soccer mom's SUV, but you can go 0- the grocery store faster than you can tell little Timmy to "buckle up"
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 07:37 AM   #34
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
For the life of me I don't understand why people buy an SUV with ridiculous power and pretend it's a GT car. Massive, Heavy SUVs are meant to haul groceries and take kids to soccer practices. Leave the real racing to the real GT cars and enjoy your camping trips in the X5....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 07:48 AM   #35
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A GT car is 2 doors and 4 seats, hence Mustang GT, GT-R- an X5M is a Truck, not a car.
"A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a performance and luxury automobile capable of high speed and spirited long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement."

Your are missing some key words in that definition.

Guess what, any vehicle that went 0-60mph in under 4 seconds was considered a super car at one point. Does that make his X5 M a super car? Of course not.

BUT, if you were gullible enough to believe that you bought a “proper GT car” then you shouldn’t have any trouble believing that the X5 M is a sports car.

Don't belittle someone else's ride just because it doesn't suit your needs or driving style. Not even sure why you got butt hurt in the first place.

Having said that, I must admit, I am underwhelmed by my X5 M. Fun is subjective, but while this thing is somewhat well rounded and very fast in a straight line it’s really not curing my itch…and neither of the cars in this review would either.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #36
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
"A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a performance and luxury automobile capable of high speed and spirited long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement."

Your are missing some key words in that definition.

Guess what, any vehicle that went 0-60mph in under 4 seconds was considered a super car at one point. Does that make his X5 M a super car? Of course not.

BUT, if you were gullible enough to believe that you bought a “proper GT car” then you shouldn’t have any trouble believing that the X5 M is a sports car.

Don't belittle someone else's ride just because it doesn't suit your needs or driving style. Not even sure why you got butt hurt in the first place.

Having said that, I must admit, I am underwhelmed by my X5 M. Fun is subjective, but while this thing is somewhat well rounded and very fast in a straight line it’s really not curing my itch…and neither of the cars in this review would either.
According the definition posted - the E92 IS a GT car, the X5 is not - it's an SUV. I'm not interested in debating magazine reviews or talking about a soccer mom's next ride.

The GT-R is a fantastic machine by every metric, the only fault is that in it's age, Nissan is softening it up and making it more costly.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:14 AM   #37
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I agree, everything has been said that needed to be said.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #38
991GT3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sorry but if you think it handles like a sports car you've never driven a sports car.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 09:23 AM   #39
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 991GT3
Quote:
Sorry but if you think it handles like a sports car you've never driven a sports car.
I was never trying to say the X5M was as good of a sports car as a GTR or GT3 I was however saying I'm not in a place right now where I feel like driving a track car on the streets anymore. Since I was sick of the slams and bangs of hard suspension with winter/spring potholes I was resolved to just owning a Cayenne or X5. I then test drove the X5M and loved it. Tuned it and I love it more. It really gave me the perfect compromise, especially since I have 2 kids (well 2nd one is coming in Jan). I understand it doesn't handle as well as a GTR or GT3 but it still handles very well and it more than satisfies my desires and puts a smile on my face. If I were driving a track car every day and then jumped in the X5M I would be underwhelmed but that's a dumb comparison. Someone else called out the fact that I owned an X5M, I didn't compare it to a sport car apples to apples. I was just responding to the comment they made about me owning a high hp awd but not desiring the GTR .

Being young and owning 3 cars wife baby carrier/commuter, one sport/track and one family for myself while commuting to Manhattan by bus is nonsense, the X5M or M5 is the perfect car for me. Right now my wife has a commuter car and we have the X5M as the family slash fun car. Maybe a few years down the road when it's feasible to own 3 or 4 cars I'll get an M4 as my one trick pony sports car but right now I'll stick with the X5M or M5 since they cover multiple bases, I'm sure most people would be happy with that compromise.

I'm jaded to sports cars mainly bc of how inconvenient it is bending wheels on low profile tires. I literally spent over 4k on replacement wheels alone for a single forged set over a 3 year period. Even though losing money sucks it was the worrying and constantly thinking "will it happen again tonight?". NY the streets are a DISASTER and destroy sports cars in the late fall, winter and early to mid spring. I was towed multiple time from Brooklyn and once from AC. The towing alone was 600 from AC. So I have my reasons to look for a compromise.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 09:51 AM   #40
991GT3
Captain
Rep

I really don't want to get in too much of a pissing match over this but your SUV doesn't handle like a sports car. I've owned an X6M, 2 Cayenne Turbos and two Macan Turbos. None of them handled like a sports car(though the smaller Macan Turbo was closer). Frankly, I regret wasting the money on the Cayenne Turbos and the X6M.I never tapped into the power. My Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Ss and the Macan Turbos were all the power I ever needed from an SUV.
I thought, repeatedly, that buying a high powered SUV would give me the best of both worlds too but have come to the conclusion it doesn't.
I would advise saving your money and buying a less expensive SUV and take the savings and search for a real sports car for fun. I have decided to save cash by buying a pickup and a sports car that doesn't depreciate rapidly.

-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #41
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
According the definition posted - the E92 IS a GT car, the X5 is not - it's an SUV. I'm not interested in debating magazine reviews or talking about a soccer mom's next ride.

The GT-R is a fantastic machine by every metric, the only fault is that in it's age, Nissan is softening it up and making it more costly.
How pathetic is it that a soccer moms SUV would absolutely rape your beater.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #42
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
How pathetic is it that a soccer moms SUV would absolutely rape your beater.
Cool story mom.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2016, 07:55 PM   #43
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

The GT-R is just so....ugly.

It's been on the market what, 9 years now?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #44
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think the new NSX is a technological marvel, no doubt about that. The problem is that many expected it to follow in the original cars footsteps...sadly, it couldn't be further from it.

The GT-R has always been a track monster, and while it may not be as hardcore as it was when initially launched, it's still no joke by any means. Very impressive for nearly a decade old car.
Appreciate 0