XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-14-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

any suggestion on hood vent air intake for X1 and other mods

Does anyone have any experience on this? I am planning to do some cosmetic/performance update on my X1 sdrive18d M Sport. Though it's a long term plan as my budget is tight for the time being so it's kinda bucket list rather for my car ... So far my plans are:

- engine tuning with ram speed (they are ac schnitzer dealer in AU) rather than the plug-in ones
- install turbo downpipe kit from supersprint
- install hood vents like the one from AC Schnitzer
- front strut bar from eBay for a good price as they look authentic & quality
- carbon fibre wrap mirror caps & spoiler.
- gloss black plasti-dip the roof to match the glossiness of the moonroof.
- matt black pasti-dip the wheels

My main concern is with the hood vents. I love the look of them and if it helps on performance gain then I don't see why not. However, since it's a diesel engine how would this affect the noise dampening. Can X1 really benefit from this? I just want to see if it's worth it Any advise would be awesome.. .thnx

Update: Cosmetic parts done - kinda (have to re-do wheels as before I could finish 2nd coat of plasti-dip it started pouring and to top it up tyre guys screwed up plasti-dip on one wheel while changing tyres )

Just an FYI to those looking to do plasti-dip yourself, can gun is the most coz after spraying first coat I could no longer press the nozzle with my finger
Attached Images

jaeezzy...

Last edited by jaeezzy; 12-31-2014 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
The engine noise will be much more pronounced with the vents and the performance gain you will see will be very minimal. Hood vents are just there to expel excess heat, and since you're probably not driving WOT all the time creating excess heat, they'll be mostly useless.

The front end is pretty well braced, you'd get more out of a rear sway bar from an E9x M3 and a set of STi end links.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
Oh so the M3 rear sway bar fits? I guess that makes sense. One of the best, and cheapest, upgrades I ever did on my second E39 was the M5 rear sway...
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #4
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
The bar fits, but the end links don't on lowered cars. Not sure about stock height.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Everything "fits" but the end links will rub. You need to replace them with a set of Subaru STI endlinks. They bolt in perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 03:48 AM   #6
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Thanks for the suggestions guys.. Will definitely look into m3 sway bar

Sadly I've been informed by RamSpeed (AC Schnitzer) that doing ECU tuning will void my warranty and offered me a plug and play power module which is more expensive but gives out more hp & torque. It's by KraftWerk. What do youse have to say about such plug n play power module?

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
If it's like the aFe one I tried, don't bother. It did nothing. If it's more like BMS modules, you'll have serious gains. I don't know much about the world of diesel tuning so I can't really vouch for KraftWerk's ability to get more power. You can try it and see what it does, after all, it's only money.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just go for a sport filter in the original box/place. K&N, BMC,... but look one for your model. I think I got one of BMC (not sure) on my 23d.
Testing this on the test bench while chipping the ECU this resulted in 4HP gain.
Note it is a twin turbo with 200hp stock and my diesel particle filter is removed (empty and then inox tubing in it, and the end muffler is changed inside, just inox tubing)

It doesn't do much but gain is gain and every maintenance you save some money because you can clean your sport filter every 20.000-30.000km. (Or every year after the winter. You hear the turbo a little bit better as well, I think it is a little bit healthier for the engine.

Note, in some cases a sport filter on a BMW is bad and results in bad performance, graphics from the test bench could proof this.

The stock intake and exhaust of the X1 diesels is pretty normal/good so not much to gain.

Power gain=chipping
If you want you combine it with sport filter and DPF remove before getting your best settings.

Good luck with the mods.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 03:55 AM   #9
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
The front end is pretty well braced, you'd get more out of a rear sway bar from an E9x M3 and a set of STi end links.
What is the thickness diff between m3 e9x sway bar and the x1's?

Quote:
If it's like the aFe one I tried, don't bother. It did nothing. If it's more like BMS modules, you'll have serious gains.
If you don't mind how can I tell if KraftWerk is BMS or aFe like? Is it depending on the parameters etc it controls or are they completely different types?

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
If you have the performance suspension, your rear bar is 15mm. The M3 bar for the E92 is 22.5mm.

As for the tuner, you'll either feel it or not. If you feel it, it's probably doing something. If you feel nothing, it's probably because the tune is doing nothing.

I fond with JB4 on, my WOT doesn't really change a whole bunch near the top end of tach, but there is definitely more bottom and mid range. Part throttle has changed drastically, it feels like WOT when the tuner is off. My fuel mileage gauge no longer works (don't care), but the economy numbers through the stalk suggest my tuner is doing something. I'm only getting about 14.5mpg with the tuner on, I was never able to go below 19 before no matter how hard I drove.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #11
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
If you have the performance suspension, your rear bar is 15mm. The M3 bar for the E92 is 22.5mm.

As for the tuner, you'll either feel it or not. If you feel it, it's probably doing something. If you feel nothing, it's probably because the tune is doing nothing.

I fond with JB4 on, my WOT doesn't really change a whole bunch near the top end of tach, but there is definitely more bottom and mid range. Part throttle has changed drastically, it feels like WOT when the tuner is off. My fuel mileage gauge no longer works (don't care), but the economy numbers through the stalk suggest my tuner is doing something. I'm only getting about 14.5mpg with the tuner on, I was never able to go below 19 before no matter how hard I drove.
I have sports suspension so I guess mine has 15mm rear bar.

Below is what they have to say about the power module:

Quote:
Kraftwerk Power Module - $1850 incl GST & Installation

BMW X1 18d

German Made, Performance Plug & Drive module with installation in our shop at Seven Hills. The power module is an external module, so no warranty is in jeopardy.

Our Hi-Tech system contains many smart technical features, and is the result

of many months of design, testing and durability trials.

The Power Module is an external additional control unit. It is internally sealed and cannot be detected by general manufacturers service procedures.

It is also not possible that software updates can disturb the performance of the module. Unlike engine management "chipping" and "flash" upgrades, it never gets overwritten during service enhancements.

http://kraftwerk.com.au/faqs.html
Here are the pics of the tuner, power gain and the graph..
Attached Images

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25 XDrive 28i M Sport

Hi jaeezzy,
Notice your joining date is 2014, is that also the year of your car.
Looks like your happy with your original wheels. I'm not sure if you pasti-dip, what the process is and how long doe's it last.

Interesting that the Kraftwerk Power Module can be installed by outside shop and cannot be seen or detected by the BMW shop. What is there Warranty and what parts do they Warrant on your X1.
Tuning Chip. My latest consideration is the TWIN Channel from tdituning.co.uk -After warranty expires end of this year. People say about chips, put on and take off for Servicing. I am not sure that the Service centre can detect it had a chip on it. Maybe if they purposely looked for any unusual boost indications on the ECU.

Supersprint has some good options and choices for the diesel.
Hartage also do diesel one. You might not find it on there main site.
Try hartage-gives-the-bmwx1-quad-exhaust-pipes
It looks and sits fantastic at the back BUT I really think it's an overkill for a diesel car. In my opinion it would best suit the 35i X1 and with the 28i, maybe have a single pipe each side.
The best one (again in my opinion) would be to delete the right side pipe and tips and just have the left side that has better muffler. I am looking at having this style made at local exhaust shop but if Hartage could do good price I would buy.
Hood Vents - Agree with Twix.
OIL- If your thinking of changing more often, I have just purchased 4x 5Ltr. for both diesels, can recommend.
WHEELS - I got from USA some time ago. Installing next month. Took a long time of searching.
The 28i and 35i guys from the USA have been a great source of information.
Keep in touch.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 01:27 AM   #13
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTony View Post
Hi jaeezzy,
Notice your joining date is 2014, is that also the year of your car.
Looks like your happy with your original wheels. I'm not sure if you pasti-dip, what the process is and how long doe's it last.

Interesting that the Kraftwerk Power Module can be installed by outside shop and cannot be seen or detected by the BMW shop. What is there Warranty and what parts do they Warrant on your X1.
Tuning Chip. My latest consideration is the TWIN Channel from tdituning.co.uk -After warranty expires end of this year. People say about chips, put on and take off for Servicing. I am not sure that the Service centre can detect it had a chip on it. Maybe if they purposely looked for any unusual boost indications on the ECU.

Supersprint has some good options and choices for the diesel.
Hartage also do diesel one. You might not find it on there main site.
Try hartage-gives-the-bmwx1-quad-exhaust-pipes
It looks and sits fantastic at the back BUT I really think it's an overkill for a diesel car. In my opinion it would best suit the 35i X1 and with the 28i, maybe have a single pipe each side.
The best one (again in my opinion) would be to delete the right side pipe and tips and just have the left side that has better muffler. I am looking at having this style made at local exhaust shop but if Hartage could do good price I would buy.
Hood Vents - Agree with Twix.
OIL- If your thinking of changing more often, I have just purchased 4x 5Ltr. for both diesels, can recommend.
WHEELS - I got from USA some time ago. Installing next month. Took a long time of searching.
The 28i and 35i guys from the USA have been a great source of information.
Keep in touch.
Thanks GTony for you suggestions..

I'm loving my X1 but I guess it's human to be not satisfied with what you get

I feel the 18s are bit too small for X1 for my preference. But from my calculations, I could be terribly wrong , I found that the overall diameter of the wheel (including tyre) is actually slightly bigger than stock 19s? I actually am looking for bigger, flatter wheels but since money comes in the way, I've decided to just plastidip the wheel black n settle for now Have never done this before but have been watching a lot of youtubes so hoping it turns out as I'm expecting.

So what wheels do you have? Is the overall diameter (including tyre) bigger than the stock ones? Coz, I'm looking into like e.g 245/40 19 front & 275/35 19 rear if such is possible.

I came across tdi-tuning's twin channel module before but have forgotten completely about it. It promises a lot of things and costs $1000+ cheaper than KraftWerk power module. I would be very interested to know why this could be as RamSpeed here is asking AUD1,850 for KraftWerk module.

Since I'm very new to this car thing and everything that are involved like warranty and insurance I'm quite scared to risk them. Also, I've only had mine for 4 months now 2014make. So, does most ppl who does mods do it at the cost of losing their warranty or wait till warranty expires?

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25 XDrive 28i M Sport

Hi jaeezzy,
Not sure you mention 18's than say stock 19's.
Standard Set Up for yours and mine is 17.5''-225/50/17. You opted for MSport which should get you 18'' wheels. I don't know if you have Square or Staggered Set Up.
When I ordered wheels, they were to suit 2013 Sdrive 28i because my X1 has the same Specs. and they didn't list mine.
The roads here (country area) are bad and because I want to protect my rims that are only available from USA and costing much more now, I decided to go from 17's just to 18's Square Set up, which gives me 225/45/18, the 45 gives me more rubber between the wheel and the road than going with 19's. Still thinking later down the track wider rears which would drop to 40 profile.

You mention 245 and 275 tyres. It depends on the width of your rim and if they will rub or not. eg. 8'' Ideal 225-235. 9'' Ideal 245-255. As for 275, the smallest recommended width is 9.5''.

What's your Wheel Offset's. Usually on the back of the wheel or ask dealer + what wheels are available for yours and what tyres suit. All you want to do there is to get some references to buy later elsewhere or if you prefer paying big bucks for BMW ones.
If you know your Specs. you can mix and match your original set up with different wheels and tyres that are compatible by going to - tirerack - or - 1010 tyres - and looking at there Tyre and Offset Calculators which show you where your choices sit compared to originals.
It can be a mine field out there. What combinations seem to match/suit, might not fit your car.

Kraftwerk will install the Module or they give you one that suits your car and you install it saving around 150/200$ Positive is you have what seems like a good company you can take your car to for peace of mind. Warranties are for the Module/Chip only. Pricing usually 2/3 times higher in Aust. Only you can decide through comments/advice on here and your research, what's best for you.

Good luck with your New Car. No Shade Pictures please when you plastidip your wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

I have 18" rims that come with M Sport package. It's a staggered setup. What I was saying was that this 18" look bit small on the car. So, I was thinking maybe I should have opted for 19" but then what I found from my calculation was that 225/40 19 & 255/35 19 are actually slightly smaller in diameter than 225/45 18 & 255/40 18. So, the rims would look bigger since they are 19s but the overall diameter (with tyres on) they would be actually smaller than the 18" due to lower profile tyres. So, going 19" with original tyre profile doesn't seem to help get the bigger wheels. So, was wondering if 245/40 19 and 275/35 19 would fit X1 without any issue for my future mods hopefully

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 07:17 PM   #16
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
You could also run 235/40 19 and 265/35 19. That's what I run, only slightly larger in diameter than stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 08:21 PM   #17
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

@Twix: I was exactly thinking of that setup How wide are the wheels 8.5 front 9.5 rear or the stock 8 front 9 rear? How wide do they look and do they pop out a bit at all without having to install spacers? I ask because I like little wider and bit popping out than we get from the stock wheels. Do you have pics to share at all?

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 11:14 PM   #18
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Look at my pics and sig. All the info is there. I think the front was ET 27 and the rear ET 34
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #19
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Thanks Twix looks gr8

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 04:05 PM   #20
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

Wrapped the roof and the mirror caps with gloss black vinyl and the spoiler with cf. Wanted to do the caps in cf as well but the wrap guy told me that it's hard to do it in one piece with cf and has to be cut and joint which I didn't like. Same with the spoiler - had to do in two pieces but still not happy with the result. Overall quite disappointed as the edges are still way far from perfect.. Will be getting touch with the wrap guy about this and this is already a second attempt as the first one was even horrible.
Attached Images

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0