Foxrus14
1 SLY 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i work car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edx1 View Post
What MPG's are you getting?
Between 19-20 MPG...Mix of Highway and city. have 3500 miles on the car. We have a 2012 135i as well and we can't wait to get rid of both of them. BMW is the ultimate Disappointment.
2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special - Mine
2014 Harley Davidson Breakout - Wifey
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #68
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrus14 View Post
Between 19-20 MPG...Mix of Highway and city. have 3500 miles on the car. We have a 2012 135i as well and we can't wait to get rid of both of them. BMW is the ultimate Disappointment.
Sorry to hear that. Maybe you can use your awesome Harleys to get away from them even faster!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #69
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Quote:
I can't wait to get rid of my X1... i have 2.5 years to go. This is my first BMW and it will be my last BMW. Will be upgrading to a Tahoe or Avalanche...
How is moving to a Tahoe or Avalanche an upgrade, GM just recalled 200,000 of your upgrades today in fact. Speaking of the great Chevy cars, the 2013 Malibu is so bad it got ranked 6 out of 6 cars in its class behind Honda, Ford, Toyota and two others. It's so bad GM is having to totally redesign it after one year. They don't call it Gov't Motors for nothing they earned it.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #70
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Interesting.

Crap like that makes me glad my service adviser is a good guy. Did you eventually get it recoded (free of charge)?
Nope, the guys here in Atlanta, Nalley BMW to be exact, are not that friendly, in addition to profesionalism. (customer always wants more, who doesn't?)
They replaced the turbo part for about 2 days' work.

During the period, I was driving a courtesy sDrive28i, with X-line and upgraded tire set. The feeling is totally different as compared to my basic xDrive28i with run-flat tires. Differences:

1)The ride was softer, at least close to bmw 3 sedan feeling.
2)Acceleration was much more fun, which I think was due to rear-drive with more back-pushing feeling. BUT, the acceleration was not noticeably better than my xDrive in fact.
3)Most importantly, the steering wheel was much lighter. I didn't follow up on this forum a lot, so may miss the point. I know for sure that XDrive28i is Hydraulic steering, which provides intuitive steering but much heavier than electronic steering.
4) Suggestion if you finally buy an X1: do not get the paddle shift, this would ruin the steering wheel: it would make the sporty handling part where your two thumbs touch NOT protruding. I'm sorry English is my second lang. In short, selecting the paddle shift will make your steering wheel a normal and dull one like the old days, your thumbs have no place to lessen the pressure. The marketing point on the paddle shift -- as I wanted -- is to boost a little bit of selling price in the future at a small cost ($120). But, don't get fooled by their saying that this is a "sporty wheel", it is not.

In retrospect, I would buy an X1 at the following figurations:
SDrive28i, if not living in snow / rain regions.
Definitely have sun/moon roof!!!!
Definitely have tint!!!!!!! (Formula One Pinacle, about $400 and 3 hours work)
Definitely have all weather foot pad, front row only
No display dashboard option, the display screen is just not safe for Navi and the system is inconvenient compared to Waze app on my iphone.
Choose X line or S line if you have the extra bucks. Interior look is much more important than the exterior look.
Alpine white body is just fine if with X-line or S-line due to silver roof-rack, save the $1450 paint.
For photographers, long drive on this car is fun and fuel efficient, long drive is what this 8-speed tranny is built for.

Last suggestion, take a rest, try Subaru's new SUVs, they're DOHC this year for God's sake!!!!!! Fuji is good at imitating Leica, they're as well good at finding a niche in auto market.

Last edited by heisalan; 06-18-2013 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #71
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
My 35i milage is way worse than expected. I get the same milage in my SS Camaro and it is way more fun to drive. Been parking the 35i and taking the camaro instead. Big mistake going BMW... This is the first and last I will ever own.
Well, given that your Camaro SS is slower than a X1 with a $400 JB4 and lacks trunk space, AWD, ground clearance, etc, I'm okay with equivalent mileage! Not to mention the handling is just as good as (or better) than the SS based on slalom and skidpad numbers.

For reference, the non M-sport X1 pulled a 65.9 on all season runflat tires in the slalom at edmunds with the editors specifically saying better tires would make it go faster - the Camaro SS is at 67mph on summer performance tires.

The ZL1 is in another league entirely, of course.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 06-17-2013 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #72
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Are we really having a Camaro vs X1 argument?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #73
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Are we really having a Camaro vs X1 argument?
Just poking the hive while enjoying some Chipotle for lunch....
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #74
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Just poking the hive while enjoying some Chipotle for lunch....
In that case, I'd wait a little bit and really give the hive something to thing about.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #75
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisalan View Post
4) Suggestion if you finally buy an X1: do not get the paddle shift, this would ruin the steering wheel: it would make the sporty handling part where your two thumbs touch NOT protruding. I'm sorry English is my second lang. In short, selecting the paddle shift will make your steering wheel a normal and dull one like the old days, your thumbs have no place to lessen the pressure. The marketing point on the paddle shift -- as I wanted -- is to boost a little bit of selling price in the future at a small cost ($120). But, don't get fooled by their saying that this is a "sporty wheel", it is not.
While the steering wheel is one of the things I like the least[*] about the X1, my X1's steering wheel with paddle shifters does indeed have thumb rests, perforated leather padding, and is exactly the same as the wheel without the paddles, except for the paddles.
If you want to be able to control the gears, it's a must. I drive in M mode quite a lot, especially in hilly terrain where I can engine brake. I most definitely wo0uldn't want an X1 without them (and did, in fact, turn down my first X1 when it came without the paddles I had ordered. It was worth waiting 8 more weeks for.)
[*] I prefer lighter, smaller and more utilitarian steering wheels without an airbag and fat spokes obstructing half of the instruments, and extending towards the driver instead of away. Even pulled all the way out, it's still too far away for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #76
MidgetInBikini
SFBA Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E84 N20 28i

I get 24-25mpg hwy with my sDrive 28i (only mod is its air filter- switched to aFe dry) and 20-21mpg city - currently on 3400 miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #77
heisalan
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
While the steering wheel is one of the things I like the least[*] about the X1, my X1's steering wheel with paddle shifters does indeed have thumb rests, perforated leather padding, and is exactly the same as the wheel without the paddles, except for the paddles.
If you want to be able to control the gears, it's a must. I drive in M mode quite a lot, especially in hilly terrain where I can engine brake. I most definitely wo0uldn't want an X1 without them (and did, in fact, turn down my first X1 when it came without the paddles I had ordered. It was worth waiting 8 more weeks for.)
[*] I prefer lighter, smaller and more utilitarian steering wheels without an airbag and fat spokes obstructing half of the instruments, and extending towards the driver instead of away. Even pulled all the way out, it's still too far away for my liking.
Do you have the M package, or did I just get the wrong wheel? Mine is leather wrapped, non-perforated one without thumb rests.....
      06-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #78
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisalan View Post
Do you have the M package, or did I just get the wrong wheel? Mine is leather wrapped, non-perforated one without thumb rests.....
Yes, M-Sport line.
You can upgrade the steering wheel to the M version after you get the car, but you can't fit paddles later unless you already have them.

Depending on your base line, it may require an airbag replacement too. From what I understand, the sport and M-sport wheels use the same airbag, but the base steering wheel uses a slightly different airbag.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 03:14 AM   #79
pbodifee
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapaluaGirl View Post
I'm at about 600 miles so far and am averaging approx 30 mpg city on eco drive. I hardly ever drive on the highway.
Can you be more precise what your driving looks like to average 30 mpg? If I can achieve 20 mpg I would already be happy!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #80
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbodifee View Post
Can you be more precise what your driving looks like to average 30 mpg? If I can achieve 20 mpg I would already be happy!
1: Avoid braking, to preserve momentum whenever you can.
2: Look far ahead and let the current speed adjust accordingly.
3: If you have to brake, brake early and lightly.
4: Never look at the speedometer, and don't try to maintain a constant speed.
5: Don't use the cruise control. Especially in hilly terrain.
6: Keep a large distance to the car in front, so you don't have to brake or slow down whenever it does. Your speed should be based on the road and its hazards and not the car in front of you. (If it's one of the hazards before it's stopped, you're too close.)
7: Plan your route to avoid left turns, even if you have to go slightly farther.
8: Favor country roads over highways. 40 mph driving uses less fuel than 60 mph driving.

If anything, the top 2 are by far the most important. If you drive reactionary, you're never going to get good mileage, no matter how light you are on the gas pedal. If every turn, car turning left or traffic light takes you by surprise so you have to brake and subsequently regain lost momentum, you're going to waste lots of fuel. Which you won't get back no matter how well you drive the rest of the trip - spent fuel is gone, no exceptions.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #81
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 M Sport, 2016 M4

Quote:
3: If you have to brake, brake early and lightly.
4: Never look at the speedometer, and don't try to maintain a constant speed.
5: Don't use the cruise control. Especially in hilly terrain.
6: Keep a large distance to the car in front, so you don't have to brake or slow down whenever it does. Your speed should be based on the road and its hazards and not the car in front of you. (If it's one of the hazards before it's stopped, you're too close.)
7: Plan your route to avoid left turns, even if you have to go slightly farther.
8: Favor country roads over highways. 40 mph driving uses less fuel than 60 mph driving.

If anything, the top 2 are by far the most important. If you drive reactionary, you're never going to get good mileage, no matter how light you are on the gas pedal. If every turn, car turning left or traffic light takes you by surprise so you have to brake and subsequently regain lost momentum, you're going to waste lots of fuel. Which you won't get back no matter how well you drive the rest of the trip - spent fuel is gone, no exceptions.
I agree with most of what you said.....Cruise control will actually help most people significantly. I always use it on the highway for long trips, and I get great mileage. You are correct about not using it on hilly terrain though. Letting the car attempt to keep a constant speed on an incline is a feul waster. Also the car will actually downshift on down hill sections to attempt to control your speed. I prefer to control my own speed on significant inclines/declines.

As far as using cruise on the freeway, I find that my mileage is substantially improved when I let a hill slow me down by about 5 mph and I don't try to regain that lost speed untill on a downhill section of raod. Increasing speed (even if it is only 5mph) consumes significantly less fuel when it is done going down hill.

All the chatter about X1 fuel economy being disappointing is really a suprise to me, especially in light of how quick and responsive these things are. Very few vehicles as heavy as these will get this kind of economy and still deliver this kind of performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #82
Monterra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 X1 msport sdrive28

I think ppl (maybe) used to their previous NA bimmers or other vehicles meeting or beating epa numbers and from my limited experience with an X1 28i xdrive- I couldn't get close to sniffing 30 let alone 33. EPA figures on the AWD 28i are wrong IMO by ~15% and many people are/were attracted to the having your cake and eating it picture that the numbers paint and they're rightfully pissed cause it ain't happening. Many may be thinking they should have just dropped the extra for the 35i- or maybe something a bit more practical/cost effective or diesel
2009 Montego/terra 128i 6MT (ouch)...great car
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #83
pbodifee
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:

If anything, the top 2 are by far the most important.
Can't agree more. But in (downtown) city driving this is nearly impossible to maintain at all times. Sometimes (sunday mornings) it is somewhat possible and all I get is 2 mpg better fuel economy. I guess folks reporting 20+ mpg are not really driving in a city, maybe in suburbia without much traffic lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #84
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbodifee View Post
I guess folks reporting 20+ mpg are not really driving in a city, maybe in suburbia without much traffic lights.
I agree. I can achieve EPA highway estimate at 65 MPH but city is 18-19 MPG for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #85
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

EPA cities aren't like other cities...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #86
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread
4 cycle engines are more efficient with WOT and low rpm than partial opening and higher rpm, so if you short shift, but use lots of throttle, you'll see better mileage numbers than if you try to creep up on speeds while in lower gears.
Thanks for the tip. I will try it.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #87
annoyingmouse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 xdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingmouse View Post
I made a trip from Corpus Christi to San Antonio Friday afternoon. San Antonio's altitude is about 235 meters, whereas, obviously CC is close to sea level, so 770 feet over more than 100 miles isn't exactly a hard climb. Winds were from the north, at about 15 MPH with gusts no more than 20. My trip computer told me I averaged 26 MPG going to San An, and I reset it before coming home, and it averaged 32 MPG going back to CC. I averaged 80MPH and used the cruise control as much as possible both ways.

To draw any conclusions, I'd need to make the trip again in with a south wind (that will probably happen soon enough) to compare the results. If I get a direct inverse, than we can conclude that the aerodynamics are more significant than the elevation change. I suspect the hills are significant though, as the X1 no more light than it is slick.
I made this trip again, but this time with a more seasonally appropriate south wind. Going north on 37 with a ~20MPH tail wind, I averaged 30MPG according to the trip. Coming home, with a ~15MPH head wind, I averaged 24 MPG according to the trip. I used the Cruise control set to an indicated 79MPH which my GPS speedometer app says is 75.2-75.8MPH.

I guess our engine doesn't like our parachute of a bumper.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #88
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingmouse View Post
I made this trip again, but this time with a more seasonally appropriate south wind. Going north on 37 with a ~20MPH tail wind, I averaged 30MPG according to the trip. Coming home, with a ~15MPH head wind, I averaged 24 MPG according to the trip. I used the Cruise control set to an indicated 79MPH which my GPS speedometer app says is 75.2-75.8MPH.

I guess our engine doesn't like our parachute of a bumper.
75 mph is also far above the maximum speed that the EPA tests are done with, and will incur higher fuel consumption than lower speeds. I'm surprised you got as good results as you did.

A non-car-specific EPA estimate is that if you get 32 mpg doing 50 mph, you'll only get 23 mpg doing 75 mph.
Appreciate 0