07-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
USB and Aux In: WTF is BMW thinking?

I just noticed in pictures that the Aux In and USB connections for the iPod are located in the space forward of the gear shift lever. This is an uncovered space, so one will need to unplug their iPod and put it in the center console or glove box every time they park their car, unless they enjoy broken windows and stolen items on a weekly basis.

How dumb can BMW be? Why couldn't they place these connections in the center console, like in my E90, so the iPod can stay hidden out of sight? This single thing will now probably keep me from purchasing an X1. Stupid BMW, just stupid...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
JYohay
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post
I just noticed in pictures that the Aux In and USB connections for the iPod are located in the space forward of the gear shift lever. This is an uncovered space, so one will need to unplug their iPod and put it in the center console or glove box every time they park their car, unless they enjoy broken windows and stolen items on a weekly basis.

How dumb can BMW be? Why couldn't they place these connections in the center console, like in my E90, so the iPod can stay hidden out of sight? This single thing will now probably keep me from purchasing an X1. Stupid BMW, just stupid...
i feel the opposite.
think about if you have an Iphone, how annoying it is to have to put your phone inside your armrest, and then every time you get a txt or email you have to take it out of the arm rest, and actually unplug it because the wire is so short.
i bought a 30 pin extender cable for this reason, and now have even made a custom dock in my ash tray.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDude49120 View Post

More and more people get the iPhone instead of the iPod. And that's just handy, not having to open and close the armrest whenever you enter or exit the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYohay View Post
i feel the opposite.
think about if you have an Iphone, how annoying it is to have to put your phone inside your armrest, and then every time you get a txt or email you have to take it out of the arm rest, and actually unplug it because the wire is so short.
i bought a 30 pin extender cable for this reason, and now have even made a custom dock in my ash tray.
no offense but your encouraging people to text and drive :P
it already causes alot of accidents~
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Stupenal
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mmm

In my e89 z4, the aux cable is under the armrest. Do I keep my cell phone/mp3 player under there too? Nopes. Reason being that since there's no steering wheel or radio controls that can skip tracks, I'd rather have the device outside so I can manually do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

1) just get a y-cable and then you can put the device somewhere out of site. I think BMW were thinking more about convenient access than theft, which brings me to point 2....

2) move somewhere with less crime
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
cracing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Totally agree, I actually enjoyed the fact that USB port is outside of the armrest box!

Current: 2015 F36 435 Xi GC ///M-Sport
Retired: 2005 ACURA TSX A-SPEC
Retired: 2003 ACURA RSX
Retired: 2002 HONDA CIVIC 4 DR
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

my C63 has the ipod connector in the glovebox, now that is a pain in the ass! For the last 3 years I just had my old ipod (like 2001 model) hooked up there perminantly, so no big deal, but the thing finally gave out. It is extrememely annoying to plug my phone in there, I either forget to do it when I get in the car (and don't want to while driving) or then forget to take it out when I get to where I am going...

Our X3 has it in the glovebox and thats not too bad but I hardly drive that car, if it was my daily driver and I didn't have a dedicated ipod for the car (like maybe a shuffle) then I would want it on the center console, so much easier if plugging in an iphone.
Appreciate 0