XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #67
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

Are the cars having judder problems all manuals or a combination of autos and manuals?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #68
alexmcred
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 318d GT M Sport

Hopefully the end is in sight with this, got a call from my dealer to let me know the new modified clutch is in and ready to be fitted to the car so it is going in on Thursday
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:09 PM   #69
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

My X1 is in today to be sorted, so fingers crossed.

We were lent a 118i and what a lovely car it is to drive in comparison to ours, the clutch is an absolute joy, it is so light it actually makes driving a manual a pleasure, unlike the effort that is our X1.
I am now not sure if our car is faulty or if the clutches on the diesels are just horrible?

If the X1 comes back and still feels a heavy piece of shit I will be getting rid of it, judder or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 02:17 AM   #70
Molteni
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Any updates on this post? I will contact my dealer soon due to clutch judder problems on my 18xDrive. Hopefully they have solved the problems now...?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #71
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Mine had the new clutch and flywheel fitted and it is now great.
You don't realise how poor it is until it is sorted.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #72
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Mine had the new clutch and flywheel fitted and it is now great.
You don't realise how poor it is until it is sorted.
GIzzE, I had exactly the same experience as yours: had a 118 as replacement car, and started wondering how come bmw can make a comparable-class car that drives so much better than mine, or is it the diesel or what??!

Then I had my clutch replaced today, and the car drives GREAT!!!

After owing my X1 for nearly a year and and half, this is the first time I genuinely experience "Freude am Fahren" as the Germans say. Just as you put it, I didn't realise how bad it used to be: it's not only the judder, it's the whole performance of the clutch that was just wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #73
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 30d M Sport

My 18d sdrive had its 20k miles service today. I asked the stealer to look at the clutch thinking they would say it's working perfectly, but to my surprise they confirmed the judder and slipping. Going to have the new clutch fitted soon, which the service manager explained is a modified version. In his words "Putting the same type back on is not going to help".

They're also doing a pulley and tensioner replacement as there's an awful shh, shh, shh noise from the engine.

Going to be without my X1 for a whole week

J.

Ps. Got an MY11 318i petrol auto tourer today as the loan car. My X1 is a far better ride and has better seats... even tough they're standard ones!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #74
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quick update...

BMW UK are not willing to replace the clutch.... without first carrying out some coding work which they say might cure it???

The service guy said they've got to do it and doubt it'll fix the issue. Car is now going in for a week from this Saturday to cover the coding and clutch replacement, which will follow as far as I'm concerned.

Can't actually believe that some techy from BMW thinks a bit of coding will fix a clutch judder. Had similar issues with Subaru and Vauxhall over the years and they just replaced the clutch no questions asked.

J.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #75
jmtm
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: mini cooper

Angry

Hi all
I've my X1 since one year now, and i'm very diasapointed because i've a big problem with my clutch
Six months after the purchase, a first change of clutch was necessary because i had a big clutch judder
Today I' ve clutch judder again,i was in my dealer today morning and he said that There was a problem with the clutch of the X 1 but BMW Found the solution, and they've a new clutch kit since april.
My dealer will Put the new clutch kit next week
Wait and see...........
      04-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #76
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I had the new clutch fitted and it was a revelation.

However, it started to get bad again so I have sold it.

15 years of BMWs but I am out and will not bother going back.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #77
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Same here. 500 miles on new clutch... excellent, but 2500 miles later juddering is back. Seems to now happen at slow pull away. Doing it quickly with lots of gas is Ok.

Luckily not driven the car for 2 weeks (due to an operation) but will be next week. Going to pop into my dealers to have a chat.

J.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #78
dizzybboy
Romanian&Proud
Romania
Rep
Drives: 320d E91 2006

Hello guys, i know this is an old topic but i just got an X1 and seam to have the clutch judder problem. It only happens like 7 times out of 10 and at 1st gear at leaving from stationary. The car wobbles and after that it moves. First i thought it was me, but i had a BMW 3 Series and didn't have this problem.

Do you know if the problem still persists in 2014-2015? Was there a recall for this?

My car is from 2011.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #79
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

The revised clutch and flywheel was introduced from late 2011, not sure exact date for manufactured cars, but became available as a retrofit in December in the UK.

Removing the clutch delay valve (or the grommet inside it) helps a great del though, the delay in the clutch lifting exaggerates the judder a lot.

I would do this first, takes 10 minutes and a pair of mole grips.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #80
DarrenBM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0d xDrive SE

I would say any software fix is to mask the real mechanical problem which it sounds like the newer clutch part fixes (from reading the thread).
My car does this and it's an Oct 2011 car, an xDrive 2.0d. It's not bad enough for me to be too concerned with but it's a shame in this age of cars that such stupid problems exist, which seems to be down to a design fault given that there is an updated part. I bought it on 2000 odd miles and it's now on 16,000 miles and hasn't got worse.On mentioning it to the dealer during it's first service they dismissed it as 'probably' just being a characteristic of the diesel engine that can have some vibrations.
Mine only does it pulling away occasionally and mostly on hills.

Last edited by DarrenBM; 02-28-2015 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #81
fdpxfunix
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi

Quick update on my clutch. Car has now hit 88k, with the clutch 'repair' being carried out 3 times since 20k. It still does it, but it can go weeks without any symptoms and then be bad for a day or two. It always seems to happen on light throttle. Giving it some beans with a fast pull away is good.

Like Darren says above... characteristic of the car, albeit an annoying one.

I've been quoted £750 to replace the clutch and flywheel, but will not do this until it's undrivable.

On a plus note... still getting 52mpg. With the lower diesel fuel prices at the moment in the UK it's great!

J.
Appreciate 0