XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #45
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

The Golf R was my original purchase target. But I decided I'd rather have some extra comfort that I'll appreciate every day instead of crazy performance that I'll hardly ever take full advantage of.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #46
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
the wrx/sti hatch was my favorite subaru and with a few thousand in upgrades those cars boogie same with the evo but the evo is just too cheap inside even for that price point.
I didn't even consider the Evo. I needed a hatch/wagon style, and you're right; the Mitsu's really cheap, and even a worse value than a Golf R. I don't consider any of these hot hatches fast, owning a highly modified ZO6.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #47
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

okay but they're not even in the same category. not sure the relevance of z06 being mentioned. i have an x5m (among other vehicles) and i wouldn't consider the x1 35i quick... however in it's category it is quite robust.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #48
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

All depends what your reference point is and if you are willing to tune your car. Stock X1 against modded Z06 no chance. Even a modded X1 has zero chance unless you spend stupid money on it.

Modded X1 against X5M (even slightly modded X5M), the X1 is faster.

Subarus are not in the same league speed wise to a X1 35i. Dollar for dollar of mods, a STI will never be as fast as the X1. You can be running high 11s with 2k into the X1 and low 11s with $3500, and that is if you pay a shop to do all the work for you. That being said, the higher cost of the X1 mitigates some of that advantage...but unless you enjoy blown motors I would avoid the STI. One of my good friends owns one of the preeminent Subaru tuning shops in the country and I would never buy one due to the sheer volume of blown motors I have seen.

To me, the reason I don't have regrets about my purchase is that we can even have this conversation with a straight face. What other small wagon/crossover can we even be discussing realistically keeping up with a STI, EVO, etc, let alone blowing them away with some light mods? None of them.

But I prioritize performance over luxury and large space, so I understand how I may be in the minority and others may regret their purchase.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 05-19-2015 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #49
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Modded X1 against X5M (even slightly modded X5M), the X1 is faster.
X5M is a fairly capable vehicle for it's size and i would wager it's hp/weight ratio is in competitive range of some vehicle half it's size or price but i don't know if an x1 is "quicker" but it definitely may feel that way. only numbers would tell the true story. in the end it doesn't really matter i didn't buy either to wind road races but to be entertaining vehicles for my own pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #50
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
X5M is a fairly capable vehicle for it's size and i would wager it's hp/weight ratio is in competitive range of some vehicle half it's size or price but i don't know if an x1 is "quicker" but it definitely may feel that way. only numbers would tell the true story. in the end it doesn't really matter i didn't buy either to wind road races but to be entertaining vehicles for my own pleasure.
X5 M is faster stock, certainly. But cheap mods change the game for the X1 moreso than the X5 M. With $2500 in mods, I have run faster drag times than all but the fastest X5 M on dragtimes.org, which has about $10-12k in modifications in it.

Again though, these vehicles are not really comparable in function. X5 M is more capable in towing, has more space, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #51
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
okay but they're not even in the same category. not sure the relevance of z06 being mentioned. i have an x5m (among other vehicles) and i wouldn't consider the x1 35i quick... however in it's category it is quite robust.
My point was, I don't need my DD/delivery for work vehicle to be cutting edge fast, but when I test drove all those "hot hatches", they were very underwhelming, performance wise compared to driving/owning a ZO6 for 12 years. No chips/trick tunes work with a 2002, and even though I'm not a mechanic, I did all my motor/suspension mods in my tiny garage on jackstands. The DBW throttle is perfectly responsive on my old-school Corvette.
I've tried three different throttle bodies over the years, with different combinations, and they all had perfect tip-in. Yeah, it's crude interior takes away from any pretense of exotic, but that's not my priority. The 35i is fast compared to it's closest competition, but if you've ever driven a 700 HP car that weighs 3050 lbs, you'd be underwhelmed, too.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #52
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

now i understand i thought you were just comparing the two together which was odd but i see your point of view now. i agree for a daily/commuter car you don't need the fastest thing possible in fact i wanted the opposite because just like you i have the toys for the fun times but i do want it to have some pep in it's step that's why the 35i ticks every box in my opinion (in it's segment).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #53
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
now i understand i thought you were just comparing the two together which was odd but i see your point of view now. i agree for a daily/commuter car you don't need the fastest thing possible in fact i wanted the opposite because just like you i have the toys for the fun times but i do want it to have some pep in it's step that's why the 35i ticks every box in my opinion (in it's segment).
Totally agree. I couldn't believe I could get such a nice ride for less than a Subie Forrester, which is stuck with a CVT. After my 6-speed manual GTI proved too small, and lacking an AT (other people ((wife)) occasionally need to drive it) I was actually considering the Sube.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 06:21 PM   #54
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

exactly... had a forester xt in the past (as a commuter car) and i never liked it except for the fact that it was cheap to insure, cheap to fuel and i did not have one ounce of attachment to it so i didnt care if it got dinged and dented... went to a 2011 outback 3.6r ltd and i sold the car the same day the title arrived. i hated it after day three. hated it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #55
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
X5 M is faster stock, certainly. But cheap mods change the game for the X1 moreso than the X5 M. With $2500 in mods, I have run faster drag times than all but the fastest X5 M on dragtimes.org, which has about $10-12k in modifications in it.

Again though, these vehicles are not really comparable in function. X5 M is more capable in towing, has more space, etc.
I know the strip is your arena. Mine is rally type driving, with uncompensated curves, hilltops and variable road grip. And there, I certainly wouldn't want anything as heavy as an X5M. The X1 35i is such a fun car to toss around on country roads (once you tie down the boot lid and tape the front skirt). I do wish it had slightly heavier brakes, and slightly better clearance. But it's still one of the best cars I can think of for that use, especially here in the US where we can't get the Skoda.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #56
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
And there, I certainly wouldn't want anything as heavy as an X5M.
and... it was never intended for that application so one generally would not cross-shop it when looking for a rally car.
Appreciate 0