XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

2013 or 1913 - worst customer service

My X1 has been "waiting to be loaded on a vessel" for 9 days now, my lease is over in 3 weeks and I need my car.

Now the unbelievable part is that no one in the entire BMW organization can tell me when my X1 will leave Germany. When you speak to BMW North America they are nothing more than a call center, they can not and will not make any effort to find out when my car will ship. I bring them through the logical thought process such as "please call another division even if you need to call Germany and find out when my car will ship" and the reply is there is no one we can call. I have asked for any other phone # so that I can get a better answer and they repeatedly refer me back to my dealership. My dealership has the same info I have from the automated system. BMW must think that the people they sell there products to must all be idiots if they want us to believe that the shipping of our cars are like spinning a roulette wheel and which car and when it is shipped is completely at random. Does anyone believe that BMW lets the car jockey in the holding yard in Germany decide what car goes on the ship, sure sounds like it from the lack of information and cooperation they have given me. Does anyone know how I can get an answer to what I believe is a very reasonable question for someone whom will be paying for a car for 5 years working 60 hours a week to pay for it?

Please excuse my aggravation, it is hard to tame considering the complete lack of customer service BMW gives it's customers.

Thanks for any info you can provide
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Desler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 soon

Have you spoken to your dealer and asked for an update? I found that they have more up to date information. A couple of days ago the phone tracking system said that my car was waiting for a vessel at the port in Germany. In reality, it was being offloaded at the port in the US. I think the call center folks simply do not have access to good tracking info.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My dealer has the same info that I have "Waiting at port to go on a vessel".
I do believe the call center does not have the info but common sense and common courtesy would be make the calls and get the answer for a customer.

We land on the moon, we do complete face transplants, you think they would know when a finished product will ship, it's just that no one makes any effort today to help anyone, it is a shame that no one cares especially when you explain that it is a matter of being without a vehicle and not just wanting a new toy.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

The dealer can also arrange a temporary lease extension while waiting for the new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
fjrmann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post
Please excuse my aggravation, it is hard to tame considering the complete lack of customer service BMW gives it's customers.
there is no excuse for your tirade, your me me me attitude blows.

you ordered a car from Germany, your lack of insight on your lease does not make you top piority to BMW...chill it will get here, and when you take delivery, how long the car got here should be forgotten...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
Brando384
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, Audi TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrmann
Quote:
there is no excuse for your tirade, your me me me attitude blows.

you ordered a car from Germany, your lack of insight on your lease does not make you top piority to BMW...chill it will get here, and when you take delivery, how long the car got here should be forgotten...
Agreed. Just extend your lease until your car arrives.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
BimmerBahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
My X1 has been "waiting to be loaded on a vessel" for 9 days now, my lease is over in 3 weeks and I need my car.

........ Does anyone know how I can get an answer to what I believe is a very reasonable question for someone whom will be paying for a car for 5 years working 60 hours a week to pay for it?
Don't take this the wrong way, but why on earth are you buying a car that requires you to work 5 years, with consistent overtime to afford it?

Your priorities might be a little bassackwards.

Call the Bremerhaven port/shipper and see if they can give you a more accurate status. You can find their info on European Delivery threads on the bimmerfest dot com forum

Good luck with your delivery....once it arrives, your disappointment will be overshadowed by that grin and pleasure of driving your brand new, built-to-order BMW.

Regards,

-BM
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
AlexK
Private First Class
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, 2013 C63

Quote:

Now the unbelievable part is that no one in the entire BMW organization can tell me when my X1 will leave Germany. When you speak to BMW North America they are nothing more than a call center, they can not and will not make any effort to find out when my car will ship. I bring them through the logical thought process such as "please call another division even if you need to call Germany and find out when my car will ship" and the reply is there is no one we can call. I have asked for any other phone # so that I can get a better answer and they repeatedly refer me back to my dealership. My dealership has the same info I have from the automated system. BMW must think that the people they sell there products to must all be idiots if they want us to believe that the shipping of our cars are like spinning a roulette wheel and which car and when it is shipped is completely at random. Does anyone believe that BMW lets the car jockey in the holding yard in Germany decide what car goes on the ship, sure sounds like it from the lack of information and cooperation they have given me. Does anyone know how I can get an answer to what I believe is a very reasonable question for someone whom will be paying for a car for 5 years working 60 hours a week to pay for it?

Thanks for any info you can provide
You seem to be very upset because of a very minor issue... The car WILL get to you sooner or later, and BMW (or any other company like Mercedes, Porsche or whatever) doesn't guarantee a specific day delivery (because multiple delays may happen for various issues), so there's no good reason for being upset over whole thing... Just wait - the car WILL come. If your lease is about to expire - just talk to your dealer and figure out some temporary solution for it, like a lease extension, or a free rental, or whatever - I'm sure the dealer will come up with a satisfactory solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #9
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:

Now the unbelievable part is that no one in the entire BMW organization can tell me when my X1 will leave Germany. When you speak to BMW North America they are nothing more than a call center, they can not and will not make any effort to find out when my car will ship. I bring them through the logical thought process such as "please call another division even if you need to call Germany and find out when my car will ship" and the reply is there is no one we can call. I have asked for any other phone # so that I can get a better answer and they repeatedly refer me back to my dealership. My dealership has the same info I have from the automated system. BMW must think that the people they sell there products to must all be idiots if they want us to believe that the shipping of our cars are like spinning a roulette wheel and which car and when it is shipped is completely at random. Does anyone believe that BMW lets the car jockey in the holding yard in Germany decide what car goes on the ship, sure sounds like it from the lack of information and cooperation they have given me.
You ordered a car from Germany without a set delivery date. It took over three months to get my first one, and two months to get a replacement, and I'm not making a tirade like this. Sure, I wanted it quicker, but it takes the time it takes. Blowing a fuse won't get you your car any quicker.

Quote:
Does anyone know how I can get an answer to what I believe is a very reasonable question for someone whom will be paying for a car for 5 years working 60 hours a week to pay for it?
Ah. There is a saying back in my old country: The hungriest flea bites the worst.

You might consider getting a car you can more comfortably afford - and which you also will have spare time to enjoy. If you really want a Beh-emm-veh, perhaps consider a used one? Or save up for one? Working 50% overtime for five years, well, I'm not sure that's the right road to happiness.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
flapwell
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1 xdrive MSport

You coulda try finding it on the shipper's website:

2wglobal.com

Most bimmers shipped from Germany to the States go via this shipper. Once you're on the website, navigate to the Track and Trace webpage, enter your car's VIN into the box labelled "Cargo ID," and if your car is in the computer, it'll tell you the name of the ship and details of its route. While this site can't always find cars that are on their way to the US, it usually does. I suspect your car is already on its way and the BMW tracking just hasn't caught up because it's, if anything, even more unreliable.

If this doesn't work, a few drinks might help.

Have a good one!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

I ordered mine august 13/2012 and received it at the dealer on october 01/2012.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #12
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
Ex-One
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ex-One

It's quite possible it IS waiting to be loaded on a ship. Depending on where you live (east vs. west coast) they will have a select few ships they use to transport the vehicles across the pond.

It's not like boats are lines up waiting to load your car and bring it. It takes over 2 weeks to make the journey one way with port stops.

9 days waiting on a shipping vessel is not unreasonable.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #14
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
It's quite possible it IS waiting to be loaded on a ship. Depending on where you live (east vs. west coast) they will have a select few ships they use to transport the vehicles across the pond.
Unless there have been some major earthquakes I've missed, New Jersey is likely on the East coast...

But yeah, they don't run mostly empty ships.

If you need express freight, you need to pay for it. And that likely costs more than the car itself. Otherwise, it can take a month or more, just like a postal package can. Waiting for a ship that can be filled up is part of shipping logistics.

Also, once it's on the ship, it likely won't go directly. Different ships make different stops - it could stop in Sweden, Belgium, England, Ireland, Iceland, Canada and New York on the way to New Jersey. Or just a couple of those. It depends on what orders have come in.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
Ex-One
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ex-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-One View Post
Unless there have been some major earthquakes I've missed, New Jersey is likely on the East coast...

But yeah, they don't run mostly empty ships.

If you need express freight, you need to pay for it. And that likely costs more than the car itself. Otherwise, it can take a month or more, just like a postal package can. Waiting for a ship that can be filled up is part of shipping logistics.

Also, once it's on the ship, it likely won't go directly. Different ships make different stops - it could stop in Sweden, Belgium, England, Ireland, Iceland, Canada and New York on the way to New Jersey. Or just a couple of those. It depends on what orders have come in.
Ah sorry. I did not see he was in New Jersey. I use the mobile app so I can't see all the side bar info.

On another note several ships that make the trip back and forth were recently weather delayed out in the Atlantic so they were a few days late getting to their destination ports.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
Tayrevey
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e84

[QUOTE Does anyone know how I can get an answer to what I believe is a very reasonable question for someone whom will be paying for a car for 5 years working 60 hours a week to pay for it?

Thanks for any info you can provide[/QUOTE]

it doesnt matter what your situation is, the cars are treated the same no matter if you have already retired and you are just buying it for your son as his car or if you have been saving up for it for 35 years, you dont get special treatment just because it is worth proportionally more to YOU, it still worth 31-48k to BMW ( dont mean to sound mean or crass, sorry)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
abwmma
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1x

As a member for NJBMWCCA. We were invited to VDC tour about three weeks ago on a Saturday. When the ship arrived at the port. First, they will unload all east coast vechiles 500 -1500( BMWs, Minsi, Rolls-Royces). Second wash and inspect all vechiles for shipping damages. They will mark #1 on the front windshield for the cars has been sold or ordered by customer so that they can ship to the dealership ASAP. Then they will work on the rest as a dealer stock vechiles. The whole process will take about a day or two as they explained to us. They will spend 1-2 hours on each BMWs & Minis, but 8 hours on Rolls-Royces. If your car has been damaged during shipping. They will fix the car before it ship to your dealership. Any body work required paint job, they will have to report to your dealership and dealer will notify you (by law).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
abwmma
Enlisted Member
Rep

BTW, I'm not try to say anything more. We saw a lot of ///M6 with special paint and all kind of options......Those car must be over $100k. Just be patience, they are in the bussiness to sell car. No reason to delay, plus they are paying interest to the bank.

Last edited by abwmma; 04-08-2013 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I appreciate the information you gave, but that has to do with how long it takes once it arrives in the United States. My car has been sitting waiting for a vessel for 13 days now in Germany, do you have any idea how long it'll take before it's loaded on a ship to start the journey to the United States?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #20
Tayrevey
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e84

mine took about 3 days, so i guess yours was made inconveniently to the shipping schedule
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #21
abwmma
Enlisted Member
Rep

I ordered my X1 on Nov/26. BMW built my car on Dec/12. Shipped the car to the port and sat there. Finally put it on the boat on Dec/26 instead of Dec/19. Arrived at the US on Jan/4. Ship to my dealer on Jan/8. I took the car on Jan/12(Saturday) because my salsman day-off on Jan/10. Usually the total time takes around 6 to 10 weeks. Timing is everything, if you meet the schedule perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #22
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
To try and make you feel better, my Ford Ranger took 13 weeks from the date I ordered it until the day I finally drove it off the lot. St.Paul is a day's drive from Calgary. I wouldn't be unimpressed if it took BMW longer to ship across half of europe, across the atlantic ocean and finally to your dealer after it goes through crazy american customs
Appreciate 0