Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

11-15-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
thecodefather
It's S "A" V !!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive35i MSport

[N55] 2C57 and 2774 error codes + various shadow codes

My car (2014 xDrive35i) went into limp mode today me and gave me the error codes below (output from MHD).

This happened about a month ago so I decided to change my chargepipe to the aluminum one from VRSF as an easy fix, but that doesn't seem to have changed anything. I also changed my air filter to the aFe dry re-useable filter.

Any ideas what this could be? Also, should I be concerned at all about the shadow codes or are those also important to look into? I've looked around a bit on the forum but didn't find anyone with those same two codes at once.

Thanks guys and gals,

"
- DME active codes -
2774 - Air mass, plausibility: Air mass too high.
2C57 - Charging pressure control, plausibility Pressure too low.

- DME shadow (inactive) codes -
2CF5 - Oxygen sensor after catalytic converter, in coasting/overrun mode, lean: Signal, fixed.
2DD0 - Valvetronic system: Warning threshold value, feedback control deviation exceeded.
387F - Power management: Standby current violation.
"
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
thecodefather
It's S "A" V !!
Canada
Rep

Bump.

anybody have an idea what I could look for? still haven't found a solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #3
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 35i xDrive 2013

I'm assuming you have a vacuum leak and/or boost leak
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
thecodefather
It's S "A" V !!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsleeper View Post
I'm assuming you have a vacuum leak and/or boost leak
yeah I expected that I suppose. wondering if anyone has ever had that code combo also since I haven't seen it anywhere else.

as for the shadow codes, should I be concerned about those or are they just benign?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 05:06 PM   #5
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecodefather View Post
yeah I expected that I suppose. wondering if anyone has ever had that code combo also since I haven't seen it anywhere else.

as for the shadow codes, should I be concerned about those or are they just benign?
How many miles on your car? From this post, it could be your pressure converter (also known as wastegate solenoid / actuator). go to realoem for the correct part number, it might be the same as the below post.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1151688

Quote from this thread.

Bumping for google index because there aren't too many online records of this issue:

2011 N55 335i coupe e92lci

- In my case, no change of engine bay sound at all.
- Half engine light when building boost above ~3k rpm.
- Loss of low end and high end power, degraded fuel efficiency
- Active DME codes (need bmw specific scanner to read):

- Replaced the pressure converter:
Genuine BMW - 11747626351 - Pneumatic Wastegate Actuator

- Issue resolved, full boost restored.

Edit: also, maybe take it to a knowledgeable indy shop or dealer. you could run into the problem of just throwing new parts at the car that are unnecessary. not a bad idea for the pressure converter though since part i think is less than $150 and DIY-able if you have some comfort wrenching / plenty of online DIY videos for the N55
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 06:23 PM   #6
thecodefather
It's S "A" V !!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsleeper View Post
How many miles on your car? From this post, it could be your pressure converter (also known as wastegate solenoid / actuator). go to realoem for the correct part number, it might be the same as the below post.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1151688

Quote from this thread.

Bumping for google index because there aren't too many online records of this issue:

2011 N55 335i coupe e92lci

- In my case, no change of engine bay sound at all.
- Half engine light when building boost above ~3k rpm.
- Loss of low end and high end power, degraded fuel efficiency
- Active DME codes (need bmw specific scanner to read):

- Replaced the pressure converter:
Genuine BMW - 11747626351 - Pneumatic Wastegate Actuator

- Issue resolved, full boost restored.

Edit: also, maybe take it to a knowledgeable indy shop or dealer. you could run into the problem of just throwing new parts at the car that are unnecessary. not a bad idea for the pressure converter though since part i think is less than $150 and DIY-able if you have some comfort wrenching / plenty of online DIY videos for the N55
Awesome, thanks for the tip. The problem hadn't popped up since my post until a couple days ago, so I'm back again for answers. I'll look into this, hopefully it helps fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 06:40 PM   #7
thecodefather
It's S "A" V !!
Canada
Rep

Found the most recent part number on Real Oem:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...407&series=E84

Looks like the most recent revision is 11747649407, or Pierbug part number 7.00887.22.0

By searching by Vehicle on ECS, I got to the old version which was labelled by ECS as a "Wastegate Actuator", now there's a part I've heard before coming from VW/Audi. The most recent part number is on ECS, but not listed as compatible with E84 N55's:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-pierburg...747649407~pie/

Now, I'm assuming RealOem is the better source for which part to use, what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 07:59 PM   #8
solidsleeper
solidsleeper
Rep

11747649407 that looks like the one. I purchased that same one from ECS and had it replaced about a year ago, no issues/codes that I'm aware of. (MHD tuned and I haven't seen any engine codes on the app). I only replaced mine because it would make an intermittent buzzing noise, but no engine codes.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=11747649407

Real OEM says 11747649407 supersedes 11747626351

I didn't DIY it myself at the time, but since then I've diy'd my plugs and coils and the "wastegate acuator" it looks like it would be a fairly easy swap. Gain easier access by remove the intake piping along the valve cover and the PCV crankcase hose connected to the valve cover and intake piping to have easier access to the pressure converter/actuator
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #9
thecodefather
It's S "A" V !!
Canada
Rep

Talking I think it's fixed

So, I FINALLY got around to installing this part about a month ago and I haven't had the codes since. I've done a couple spirited drives and nothing popped up. Also, boost seems more immediate and sustained. I'd say it was a success

Will be back if the codes come back.

Thanks solidsleeper, you were a huge help.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2022, 05:39 PM   #10
Mido01
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1 xDrive28i

I am having the same 2 codes on my N20 along with 321C which is a leak in the tank deaeration and purging air system. I get the half check engine light only on highway speed when I am on an incline saying engine malfunction and reduced power but I do not notice any reduction in power. The only symptoms I am noticing are increased fuel consumption by 4l/100km in both highway and city driving and a rattle noise which I think is the wastegate because it sounds like when you stop pedaling on a bike and the bike continues to move.

Did you notice any reduction in power or fuel economy? Or did you hear a wastegate rattle noise?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 02:51 PM   #11
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecodefather View Post
So, I FINALLY got around to installing this part about a month ago and I haven't had the codes since. I've done a couple spirited drives and nothing popped up. Also, boost seems more immediate and sustained. I'd say it was a success

Will be back if the codes come back.

Thanks solidsleeper, you were a huge help.
Is the newer part number any better than the factory one that makes a rattle noise on cold start?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 10:36 AM   #12
Gus6174
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E84 & E90

2C57 & Misc Codes

All,

Better late than never … I just had an instance of the 2C57 and 2774 codes appearing on our 2012 X1 (N20 engine with 197,000 kms).

After fighting the 2C57 code and limp mode appearances from time to time for a while now, I finally bit the bullet and took the vehicle to the Halifax BMW dealer. After getting a troubleshooting session with prescribed smoke test on the intake showing no issues, they recommended for just under two bills, to change the valve cover. Btw I had in fact changed the cover in the past year.

I was completely unimpressed with them making a “recommendation” that had nothing to do with the problem and they agreed to conduct a second troubleshooting at their cost.

This time I actually insisted talking to the Technician and in the end the diagnosis was a worn out waste gate in the turbo. Fine … I took it home and swapped in a new turbo assembly. The increased instance of limp modes then made total sense as the mechanical waste gate progressively wore out.

Amazing change, at that moment I will say I had ”most” of boost back but this pesky 2C57 came back and in one instance paired with the 2774 code.

I was a bit deflated to say the least, but low and behold, I had simply switched/ mixed up the two vacuum lines on the actuator valve controlling the wastegate mechanism. The markings on the valve are imho somewhat misleading … that is my excuse … lol!

I am now back to 100% power, the thing drives as it should … very happy to have no codes in my view field as well!

Hope this helps someone else …

Gus

Last edited by Gus6174; 03-21-2024 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 0