Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

02-01-2024, 11:58 PM   #1
patoss19
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 E84 2013

2013 X1 E84 Using Excess Coolant?

My 2013 E84 had a low coolant alert in 2022. I topped it up with about 1L.

Regularly serviced since. Aircon + heating working fine. No other indications.

Last 3 weeks, the low coolant alert has come on. I topped up with 2L. Alert re-appeared soon after.

I'm aware tank capacity is approx. 7.5L, and have added 2.5L since the alert re-appeared. So in total, I have added 4.5L in the last 5 years of ownership, which overall seems reasonable.

I have noticed that my E84 does not have the red marker float level in the coolant tank as other videos suggest?

A few questions -

1. If I have added too much coolant, will this be detrimental?

2. If the alert appears again, I will definitely be taking the vehicle to the mechanic as this amount of coolant seems abnormal to be adding in a short period. What are the possible issues of X1's using more coolant than usual?

3. Are E84 X1's known to have these issues?

Many thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 09:49 AM   #2
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

My 35i has its share of leaking radiators, coolant tank and houses and water pumps... it's a BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 02:29 PM   #3
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

They are known for leaking radiators, all the x1's have the water pump issue, etc. The expansion tanks are prone to splitting at the seam and dribbling for a leak. They can all be hard to find. I think mine is leaking just a touch, but I can't see any trail.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 08:03 AM   #4
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpAndCunning View Post
They are known for leaking radiators, all the x1's have the water pump issue, etc. The expansion tanks are prone to splitting at the seam and dribbling for a leak. They can all be hard to find. I think mine is leaking just a touch, but I can't see any trail.
Same here. I've always had a mystery coolant disappearance since my 2014 was still under original warranty. It is small so it has not bothered me but I checked the radiator last year and also replaced most of the coolant hoses + expansion tank as well ('cause...BMW). No leak that I could tell.

I was also worried that maybe I f'd up the OC/OFHG gasket when I changed it last year but I have no frothy badness in the oil...had been monitoring the fill cap but also juat changed the oil yeaterday.

Never a drop of coolant on the garage floor either. So... the mystery is just something I live with and monitor.
      02-05-2024, 12:38 PM   #5
maxwmiller
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive2.8i

patoss19, sorry to hear. Unfortunately coolant doesn't evaporate that fast, you're probably leaking from somewhere.

UV coolant dye is very useful to pinpoint the source of the issue. If possible, avoid driving the car until you can diagnose the problem. Also, do not try to repair the failed part, it must be replaced.

To echo what the others said, unless you're pushing the car hard and/or overheating the engine, I'd suspect the following:
-Cracked radiator/expansion tank
-Leaking hoses/connections
-Oil filter housing gasket failure

You will likely have to take the under tray off the car to diagnose a leak (or take it to a shop). Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 12:57 PM   #6
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Same here. I've always had a mystery coolant disappearance since my 2014 was still under original warranty. It is small so it has not bothered me but I checked the radiator last year and also replaced most of the coolant hoses + expansion tank as well ('cause...BMW). No leak that I could tell.

I was also worried that maybe I f'd up the OC/OFHG gasket when I changed it last year but I have no frothy badness in the oil...had been monitoring the fill cap but also juat changed the oil yeaterday.

Never a drop of coolant on the garage floor either. So... the mystery is just something I live with and monitor.
I only noticed it when the car went out of warranty and I stopped doing oil changes at the dealership. My guess is they used to top it off with a small amount every 7k miles so I never noticed, but now that I'm doing the oil changes I notice it.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1154.00
      02-06-2024, 08:51 PM   #7
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpAndCunning View Post
I only noticed it when the car went out of warranty and I stopped doing oil changes at the dealership. My guess is they used to top it off with a small amount every 7k miles so I never noticed, but now that I'm doing the oil changes I notice it.
Good point and same here. I remember the SA topping it off one time (while under warranty) and I asked him about it. He said that the techs probably had been doing it the whole time so I just never noticed.
      04-24-2024, 02:37 PM   #8
E84BMWguy
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive 35i

I've experienced something similar. Driving home from a local business I got the Yellow then RED engine overheating warnings. Shut off car and inspected for leaks, steam, or other overheating signs. Waited 10 minutes, then proceeded. Repeat of above. Close enough to home to get to driveway. Had car towed to dealer where they diagnosed water pump failure and $3,500 to repair. Had it towed to independent where repair was done for $1,600. New water pump and t'stat installed. Driven a few local trips since. Coolant tank level is about 3/4" below filler neck when cold. Is this normal?
It appears I might be losing coolant but still no signs. Tank does not have probe stick to measure level, only a yellow disk.
Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0