XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-01-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
csirias
Rep
Drives: x1 2.5i

Alternative to iDrive

My X1 is sleek... But there's something that has been bothering me. The iDrive was just an expensive upgrade which my dealer didn't even offer and the dash looks like is missing something with that storage box in the front.

I'm looking for a DVD and or Nat Sat screen that could fit in the storage compartment where the iDrive should be... I know, I could retrofit and iDrive for about $6k (crazy expensive) or put a Garmin or TomTom (they do not fit on the compartment... they look offf) or the Iphone station (which to me looks fine but is just way out of the storage compartment)

Basically I want to take out the storage compartment and put a screen in there. Any ideas?

I saw a post of a guy in Israel that says they do that stuff there and some youtube videos from brazilians that put dvd/nav sats there.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
boostedtwin
Sheriff
Rep
Drives: spyder, Macan GTS, 4xe Rubicon

Garage List
07 335i  [0.00]
07 335i  [0.00]
Here's a used set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-X1-E84-C...ht_3139wt_1304
      11-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
csirias
Rep

Here's what I found....

A 6.5'' Slim LCD http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xt231bN...-TME-S370.html

Here's how it looks on an X1:

and on a 1 Series:

Here's a video on how it works:

I would probably just mirror my jailbreaked iphone using the RCA cable for Maps and Movies and send the sound through the 3.5m jack (although it will be sweet to connect the thing to the LCD and use the steering wheel controls for the phone)

Anyways how hard could this be? thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
constantinos19
Enlisted Member
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by csirias View Post
Here's what I found....

A 6.5'' Slim LCD http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xt231bN...-TME-S370.html

Here's how it looks on an X1:

and on a 1 Series:

Here's a video on how it works:

I would probably just mirror my jailbreaked iphone using the RCA cable for Maps and Movies and send the sound through the 3.5m jack (although it will be sweet to connect the thing to the LCD and use the steering wheel controls for the phone)

Anyways how hard could this be? thoughts?
is that screen shows radio messages(Music channels, songs etc) as idrive or only navigation and camera?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
csirias
Rep

I don't think it does... but what I'm thinking is to mirror the screen of my iphone using RCA and probably put on a nice equalizer that moves to the rhythm of the radio... the real use of the unit will be for maps (using and iphone app) and videos.

But what I'm trying to figure out from my dealer is... how hard could it be and if they have some kind of adapter tray to replace the compartment cover. Let me know if you find something... but from my research this is what looks more closely to something nice on the "hole" on my dash without the crazy price tag
Appreciate 0