XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep
Drives: 2014 X Drive 2.8i Sport Line

Halogen headlights question - normal?

Hey all, I just upgraded my weak halogen lamps with 65W lamps. While doing this I noticed the 2 assemblies are different. It seems my driver's side is missing a deflector (see photo). Is this normal? I was driving last night and it seems the driver's side lamp is shooting high, wide and bright! Anyone out there that can help me out? Funny I never noticed this before.

And yes, I deeply regret I failed to upgrade to the HIDs. I blasted my salesman for not insisting. This is my first BMW and it's a harsh lesson learned...

Thanks!

Driver's side:
Name:  Driver's Side.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  185.9 KB

Passenger side:
Name:  Passenger's Side.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  215.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Looks like the passenger side uses a deflector for high beam where the driver's side has it built into the bulb glass
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
It should have it on both.
I am in the same boat. I would have gladly paid for the HID's but when I buy something I want it NOW. So I took the closest equipped X1 on the lot.
installing better bulbs makes a big difference.
I will install Morimoto's at some point.
You should put the OEM bulbs back in and take it back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I am in the same boat. I would have gladly paid for the HID's but when I buy something I want it NOW. So I took the closest equipped X1 on the lot.
Thanks! I hate that I need to do this but I appreciate your quick feedback!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep

I took it to the dealer and they confirmed the driver's side headlamp assembly is missing the "shield". They will need to replace the entire assembly. Part is on order.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
Carlin/14/E84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1 bmw

Tomorrow I'll be going to the BMW dealer...

are you sure those deflectors should be on all the headlight bulbs?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin/14/E84 View Post
are you sure those deflectors should be on all the headlight bulbs?

thanks
They should be on both low beam halogen headlight lamps. The high beam and DRL lamps don't have a deflector on them. Anyone driving an X1 with halogens should check them out!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #8
Bschulte
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2013 sDrive 2.8 X1

I am looking into a halogen light upgrade. It looks like just adding the HID bulbs doesn't help night visibility and blinds other drivers. What do you recommend as the best and brightest bulbs for our halogen's?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bschulte View Post
I am looking into a halogen light upgrade. It looks like just adding the HID bulbs doesn't help night visibility and blinds other drivers. What do you recommend as the best and brightest bulbs for our halogen's?
I purchased the 65 watt H7s on amazon. Standard lamps are 55 watt H7s. Technically the 65 watt lamps are not street legal, and are labeled for "off-road" use only. Make sure both of your headlight assemblies have the deflector!

Replacement instructions are in the user's manual. It only takes a few minutes once you figure out how the retainer works. You'll be working in tight quarters, so smaller hands are the best tool! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Putting HID capsules in standard housings should win you a ten minute beating with a pickhandle. You won't have hi/lo beams, but you'll have wonderfully bright but hugely unfocused light that will piss off everyone that you meet.

A much better solution are upgraded halogen bulbs, and I have a question. Are the OEM lights wired thru' relays, or is the voltage routed thru' the steering column switchgear? If it's the latter, there is a significant voltage drop and higher output bulbs won't make much difference.
I have E-code 7" rounds in my ancient Wrangler Jeep; I also have 100w bulbs and have them wired thru' relays; I simply used the original voltage to trigger relays installed under the hood. This has given me lights nearly as good as the HIDs; I've set them carefully and conservatively, and don't get 'winked' by opposing traffic, but I can see really well.
What is the story on the OEM wiring? If it's thru' relays, just changing out the bulbs should make a big difference; if not, the relay route isn't that difficult.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
There are half decent hid kits that use hid bulbs designed for reflector housings.
They are available as H7R or D2R
I am not sure how good they are, but it might be a good experiment ;-)

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/h7r-anti-gla...hid-bulbs.html
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
nillan
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 x28i

which bulbs please

hello, can you detail which 65 watt bulbs you purchased? there are a few different ones listed.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominavl View Post
I purchased the 65 watt H7s on amazon. Standard lamps are 55 watt H7s. Technically the 65 watt lamps are not street legal, and are labeled for "off-road" use only. Make sure both of your headlight assemblies have the deflector!

Replacement instructions are in the user's manual. It only takes a few minutes once you figure out how the retainer works. You'll be working in tight quarters, so smaller hands are the best tool! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
tominavl
Keeping it Real
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nillan View Post
hello, can you detail which 65 watt bulbs you purchased? there are a few different ones listed.
thanks
I purchased the Osram brand. They shipped to me from China. They include 4 bulbs and the cost was very low. They are noticeably brighter, and now that I have the properly shielded headlamp assembly, they are no longer annoying to oncoming traffic. I did this upgrade on a VW Jetta Sportwagen a few years ago and this "upgrade" works nicely!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #14
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
I would have suggested Xenons as well.. Lesson Learned on your next BMW get either Adaptive Xenons or Adaptive LEDs they really do make a difference...
Appreciate 0