XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Woke up to a dent on my X1

I was soo heart broken when I was greeted with a dent when I walked to my X1 yesterday morning. I had it washed the previous day, covered with outdoor car cover and had it parked in the street. As I walked to it I saw the car cover was shattered and torn on the driver's side door. I straight away knew something very bad has happened and my heartbeat started revving like crazy. I quickly peeped through the shattered car cover to see if there were any scratches but to my surprise I didn't see any and I was hopeful that miraculously, whatever that was, had missed my car somehow. But my hope was briefly shattered by this awful looking dent Looks like some **** reversed right on my baby

Went to BMW smash repairs they advised that the whole door needs to be changed and the area around the door repainted for the new door to blend in. One of the third party smash repairs advised the same. Going through insurance seems to be a big pain. BMW smash repairs advised that the claim would be for around AUD 6000 which will lead to $1000+ increase in my premium for 2 yrs and this period has to be claim free. Since I don't know the person who did this, I will have to pay the voluntary excess of $200 as well on top of compulsory excess $750 as it's considered my fault. So, I am trying to get hold of couple mobile dent removals online to see if they can help and hoping for the best She was just 5 months old
Attached Images

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
E39lolz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 x1 xDrive35i, '13 Mustang

Sorry for the misfortune. That definitely would burn my ass for days, however, hopefully you'll get her looking great again.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Ugh, sorry to hear about this.

Hope you get it resolved as efficiently and effectively as possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
rps
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

That sucks! Pointless dent removal has progressed greatly through the years, hopefully they will be able to "pop" it out. Good luck!
      11-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

That really sucks!!! People have no integrity nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

I'm really pissed with my alarm system as well. This should have shaken the car quite unusually. What's the point of spending $1000 if it doesn't go off on such occasions? Does this mean that if the car is left on the same spot and crushed every bit of it, it will still sit there quietly? BTW, does covering it with outdoor car cover affect the alarm in any way? Or if the alarm goes off how long does it last for? Could I have missed it?

BTW, so far I'm only getting negative responses from mobile dent removers. They are saying the whole door or the outer panel has to be replaced and repainted to match body colour for 100% fix costing me a fortune - $2000+. Otherwise, it will only be 80% fixed and some dents will still be visible still costing me $400 and I don't think it's worth it. Looks like through insurance is the only way.

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

No way in the world you can pop that out, that's crazy talk.

Find a wrecked one with a clean door and have it sprayed, done for maybe $1K. $6K is outrageous. My missus scrapped my Saab along a parking post and tore up the rear door and part of the rear qtr panel. Legit places asking $4 to $5K, did it forty for $1,100.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

While in Virginia USA try this salvage yard as they have two right side white doors from this X1:

http://mandmautosalvage.itshelp.us/a...s.asp?s=130604

http://mandmautosalvage.itshelp.us/a...k.asp?S=130604

Shipping might be $$ but then again. Could be way less than what you are currently looking at by half.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

In some places, having a car cover is like painting a target on your car. On street parking sucks. GL with your repair.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

It isn't my car and even then it is hard to see this.
Hope you will find a decent repair and if it may for a good price as well.
And hopefully you will be saved from this happening again.

Good luck.

PS: Go for the tips here, used door. If it is in good condition and maybe no repainting needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #11
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep

@zeevette lol.. i guess u r right thnx

given that my car is just 5 months old I was reluctant to leave it on the hands of any one other than genuine bmw repairs as every one suggested tat the door has to be replaced completely. this is so that if sth were to happen in the future coz of this I cud point my finger to with confidence So have decided to go through insurance through genuine bmw repairs despite whatever it takes/costs.

Thanks for the suggestion/sympathy guys..

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #12
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

I feel your pain and I am upset as you are, we leave in a world were people run from their wrongdoing... No character.

My opinion is this:
A dent repair clinic will not be able to fix that dent due to the fact that you have line that practically "stretched" the metal sheet, and is almost impossible to pull it back.

A new door sounds like a perfect solution. A side paint to blend in is a very common practice to eliminate any differences, however, the car is six months old, I see no reason for repainting the side. Same color and same door should fit perfectly from all points of view including color.

Non metallic paint is the one that fades fast but I don't think that six months was enough to fade the color to a certain degree that can be seen. Have it installed and look at it; it might be perfect just installed.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0