12-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #23
zznalg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkli View Post
OK, by definition, being what I personally would choose, I will give you my criteria, keeping in mind this is for the daily driver of someone who averages about 300 miles/week of suburban driving/commuting with occasional extended trips and rare country-road driving. No off-road, no racing. My typical commute includes 10 -15 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic and 10-15 minutes of relative unconstrained highway driving. Most of the time I'm the sole occupant; most of the rest of the time I have one passenger. But, must be able to candle a total of 4 occupants for decent length drives. Also keep in mind that I have a 6MT Miata in the garage.

More or less in order of priority, but all important (these are my criteria for a car, not the characteristics of any given car):

1. Fun to drive. This means I look forward to getting into it and driving it; good steering and brake feel, reasonably quick, agile handling, comfortable seats, good audio.
2. Decent looking inside and out.
3. Useful tech; acceptable device linkage, good displays (on BMWs, I include things like rain-sensing wipers, auto-dimming mirrors, iDrive, automatic hi-beams, comfort access, 8-speed tranny, great heated seats). I really don't need or want lane-keeping assist.)
4. Well screwed together, solid.
5. 4+ doors, room for 4 occupants.
6. No bigger than it needs to be.
7. Decent fuel mileage.
8. Can handle bad weather and unfavorable driving conditions. I include the swiveling HID headlights and awd here. For me, good steering feel goes into this category (besides fun to drive). I put a raised seating position here too.
9. Versatile carrying capacity. Prefer 5-door layout if possible, must have fold-down rear seats. I've always preferred hatch/wagon style, but not to the exclusion of my other priorities. (I've owned, in the past, a Volvo wagon, a Rabbit, a Mazda GLC and Protege 5, and a Grand Cherokee).
10. Good outward visibility.
11. Reasonable reliability.
12. Good ergonomics

Other issues considered: extended service intervals, warranty/maintenance policies, how pleasant it is to spend time in dealerships, RFT's (a negative!).

OK, put all this together, and here are examples of cars I would consider:
X1, 3-series (including wagon), X3; Mazda 3, 6, CX5; GTI; A3, A4, Q5; Focus, Escape, Fusion; ATS, CTS; Volvo S60; Infiniti I, G37; CRV; Acura RSX, ILX, TSX; Buick Regal. I'm probably missing a couple.

So, you can see, a number of these are cars that you would not think would be cross-shopped, but by my criteria, none of these is out of the question.

As to brands, I tend to find appealing, BMW's, VW's/Audis, and Mazdas, as by my standards, these companies "get it." I also kind of like Volvos (well, some of them).

Given my criteria, the X1 xDrive, of all available vehicles, wins for me, and I don't regret that decision. It's only a matter of juggling priorities a bit to see why an X1 and a 3-series can both qualify. I really dislike the BMW EPS so that drops most other BMW's in my rankings quite a bit.

Anyway, at the top of the list when I bought the X1 were the X1 and a 3-series. The wagon wasn't quite yet available, but if not for the EPS I might have waited.

In the end, why do I prefer the X1 to my E90s? For my driving, I prefer the ride/handling balance of the X1. I love the steering. I like having the extra 3 inches or so of height when stuck in traffic or driving in bad weather. I like the 5-door form factor. For the same price as a modestly-optioned wagon, I could get a loaded X1. I look forward to getting into the car every drive. It carries almost everything I need carried. The seats are comfortable, I like the looks (actually love the red interior with real aluminum (I hate fake metal accents which so many cars seem to have. The audio is pretty good, the steering wheel is great, the transmission is excellent.

My last 3-series was a 335d (unfortunately, no sport package and the base radio with iDrive). I really liked that car, but it always felt a little heavy to me (not athletic like my earlier e90 or my e46). I think the X1 actually handles better. The earlier e90 felt athletic, but the X1's ride is much better. (My E46 may actually have been my favorite bimmer, but I like having the tech and more powerful engines of the newer ones).

I wonder it that answers your question?
What a great writeup! Thank you. It's actually a fantastic articulation of all the factors that I personally value in a daily driver. I'm going to keep it on hand for the future as a guide. It could help prevent me from straying too far from my core requirements and end up buying a vehicle that I would quickly tire of. And, I agree with you about the comparison to the E90. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

dgkli, I really enjoyed your summation; not so oddly, some of the same cars you noted were on my list as well. Frankly, the location of the dealer played no small part in our decision; had the VW and MiniCooper agencies been a couple miles away as well, things might have gone differently. Not only that, but it's my understanding that BMW and Mini are to share a front drive platform just down the road, and I may have to take a look at that.
All that being duly noted, we're happy with our car (and that is a 'we'; my bride had to like it too), and I was reflecting on how long it had been since I had a car with an actual trunk (the answer; J Edgar Opel, purchased in 1971, and an unmitigated disaster in many respects), but hatches make all kinds of sense.
Just a wee bit more money than I had really expected to spend, but there's no sense waiting on good things 'till I get a little younger...
Moon
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #25
Sennasixty8
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i ///M Sport

I'm kinda new to this platform, but not disappointed at all. Coming from an extensive e28/e30/e36/e34/e46 background, I've finally succumbed to the call of the N55's howl, and lack of a real dipstick for a DIY guy like me.

I've got less than a 100 miles under my belt in the x135i, and am thoroughly impressed with everything it offers, performance and utility wise.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #26
Untdrums
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 440i GC, '15 i3 REX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkli
Quote:
Originally Posted by zznalg View Post
Why? I also had an E90; a 2008 328XI manual with the sport package and not much else. I'm just curious about your impressions. I happen to agree with your conclusion.
OK, by definition, being what I personally would choose, I will give you my criteria, keeping in mind this is for the daily driver of someone who averages about 300 miles/week of suburban driving/commuting with occasional extended trips and rare country-road driving. No off-road, no racing. My typical commute includes 10 -15 minutes of bumper to bumper traffic and 10-15 minutes of relative unconstrained highway driving. Most of the time I'm the sole occupant; most of the rest of the time I have one passenger. But, must be able to candle a total of 4 occupants for decent length drives. Also keep in mind that I have a 6MT Miata in the garage.

More or less in order of priority, but all important (these are my criteria for a car, not the characteristics of any given car):

1. Fun to drive. This means I look forward to getting into it and driving it; good steering and brake feel, reasonably quick, agile handling, comfortable seats, good audio.
2. Decent looking inside and out.
3. Useful tech; acceptable device linkage, good displays (on BMWs, I include things like rain-sensing wipers, auto-dimming mirrors, iDrive, automatic hi-beams, comfort access, 8-speed tranny, great heated seats). I really don't need or want lane-keeping assist.)
4. Well screwed together, solid.
5. 4+ doors, room for 4 occupants.
6. No bigger than it needs to be.
7. Decent fuel mileage.
8. Can handle bad weather and unfavorable driving conditions. I include the swiveling HID headlights and awd here. For me, good steering feel goes into this category (besides fun to drive). I put a raised seating position here too.
9. Versatile carrying capacity. Prefer 5-door layout if possible, must have fold-down rear seats. I've always preferred hatch/wagon style, but not to the exclusion of my other priorities. (I've owned, in the past, a Volvo wagon, a Rabbit, a Mazda GLC and Protege 5, and a Grand Cherokee).
10. Good outward visibility.
11. Reasonable reliability.
12. Good ergonomics

Other issues considered: extended service intervals, warranty/maintenance policies, how pleasant it is to spend time in dealerships, RFT's (a negative!).

OK, put all this together, and here are examples of cars I would consider:
X1, 3-series (including wagon), X3; Mazda 3, 6, CX5; GTI; A3, A4, Q5; Focus, Escape, Fusion; ATS, CTS; Volvo S60; Infiniti I, G37; CRV; Acura RSX, ILX, TSX; Buick Regal. I'm probably missing a couple.

So, you can see, a number of these are cars that you would not think would be cross-shopped, but by my criteria, none of these is out of the question.

As to brands, I tend to find appealing, BMW's, VW's/Audis, and Mazdas, as by my standards, these companies "get it." I also kind of like Volvos (well, some of them).

Given my criteria, the X1 xDrive, of all available vehicles, wins for me, and I don't regret that decision. It's only a matter of juggling priorities a bit to see why an X1 and a 3-series can both qualify. I really dislike the BMW EPS so that drops most other BMW's in my rankings quite a bit.

Anyway, at the top of the list when I bought the X1 were the X1 and a 3-series. The wagon wasn't quite yet available, but if not for the EPS I might have waited.

In the end, why do I prefer the X1 to my E90s? For my driving, I prefer the ride/handling balance of the X1. I love the steering. I like having the extra 3 inches or so of height when stuck in traffic or driving in bad weather. I like the 5-door form factor. For the same price as a modestly-optioned wagon, I could get a loaded X1. I look forward to getting into the car every drive. It carries almost everything I need carried. The seats are comfortable, I like the looks (actually love the red interior with real aluminum (I hate fake metal accents which so many cars seem to have. The audio is pretty good, the steering wheel is great, the transmission is excellent.

My last 3-series was a 335d (unfortunately, no sport package and the base radio with iDrive). I really liked that car, but it always felt a little heavy to me (not athletic like my earlier e90 or my e46). I think the X1 actually handles better. The earlier e90 felt athletic, but the X1's ride is much better. (My E46 may actually have been my favorite bimmer, but I like having the tech and more powerful engines of the newer ones).

I wonder it that answers your question?
We currently own a 2011 335d (non-sport) and a 2014 X1 sDrive MSport with 19s that we picked up on 11/13. As far as driving dynamics, I still personally prefer the heavier feel that the D has along with the hydraulic steering. The x1 of course has a greater amount of body roll due to it's higher center of gravity, but is lessened by the stiffer suspension package. My wife and I also have noticed the stopping power of the D is significantly greater and more balanced/controllable than that of the X1, thus giving us more confidence. I still believe that the X1 is an excellent vehicle that provides for us in ways the D can't though. This being said, the balance of utility, practicality and fun factor is split into different percentages for both of these vehicles and at the end of the day, we're just thankful to be able to drive them everyday. We're on vacation in a Corolla rental and it makes us appreciate what we have even more!
2015 EB M235i Euro Delivery 11/26/2014 *lease return
2014 MG X1 sDrive 28i MSport *lease return
2011 BS 335d *sold
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #27
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaFan View Post
After driving it for a couple of days I would say if you want to save money start with Lines. I think I would have been perfectly happy with a no line model with ultimate package and heated seats.
We just did exactly what you suggested! We got the lighting package since I won't consider any vehicle that doesn't offer HIDs. With the lousy roads here on LI, you need to see where not to drive! Just went with the heated seats since I'm not a fan of ZCW hood washing with the headlight washers and the E90's heated steering wheel worked intermittently.

Wanted the X1 since it debuted in Europe since it meets our criteria of AWD, versatile usage of space, not as big or expensive as an X3 and not as small as a Countryman. Just like one of the 3 bears, the X1 is just right.

BTW, last year I replaced the E92 with a CX-5. The E92 was a wonderful car to drive for it's intended purpose as the ultimate driving machine, but after obtaining employment with a 6 mile, stop light to stop light commute, it sucked. Especially in the snow.

Best of luck with your new ride and a Happy New Year to all!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 02:29 AM   #28
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Good call on lighting package. I don't have it but liked it on my previous BMW. I think ultimate package is a relatively good deal too (in comparison to option pricing on 3 series). If you are getting nav and sunroof, you might as well go all the way and get the ultimate. Although I didn't use sunroof on my 3 series a lot, I find myself using it in X1 quite often.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 06:17 AM   #29
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

I hadn't been a fan of OEM Navs before I got the CX-5 but have found it to be a nice feature. The rear back up camera is also a plus and it's surprising that BMW didn't make it standard equipment on the X1. All things considered, on paper, my CX-5 GT w/Tech Pkg is a great value for 7-8K less than the BMW, but then it's not the Ultimate Driving Machine!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #30
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
I hadn't been a fan of OEM Navs before I got the CX-5 but have found it to be a nice feature. The rear back up camera is also a plus and it's surprising that BMW didn't make it standard equipment on the X1. All things considered, on paper, my CX-5 GT w/Tech Pkg is a great value for 7-8K less than the BMW, but then it's not the Ultimate Driving Machine!
My understanding is that backup cameras and/or park distance control was supposed to become standard equipment mandated by the Dept of Transportation but they keep delaying it and it's pushed out a few years now. Why PDC isn't standard is stupid. Backup camera, I get, but not PDC.
      12-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #31
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Oddly enough, the Ford Focus we gave to our daughter when we got the Bimmer had the sensors that 'chirped' as you got close to something; they were a very useful feature that gave me warning of things unseen on many occasions.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Let me throw in a couple more positive comments here; I've had some petty grousings and things I've questioned, but we are pleased with the car.

Drove over Beffert Mountain in a deluge; it handled the rain (plus passing on short straights) extraordinarily well. And it's coped with our snow and slop that we've had since then; the lights, wipers and headlight washers have all worked nicely, and the traction on the all seasons seems quite good. It's my intent to get some Blizzaks for next season, but we've spent enough for now.
If the gas mileage gets a bit better, I'll be a truly happy camper.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #33
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

There is no substitute for dedicated winter tires if your driving conditions require them. Here on LI, all seasons are adequate since most of the roads are plowed regularly and we don't have mountainous terrain to deal with. With that said, we're expecting 5-8" starting tomorrow through Friday. Don't miss my RWD E 92!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #34
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

The lack of 'engine over the driven wheels' or some form of 4/all wheel drive was a deal breaker for years here in Westsylvania; we'd had enough of Detroit iron with 200 lbs of sand in the trunk, and didn't especially want to play that game with Bimmers too.
Audi has forced the other German brands to market some sort of AWD, and a good thing it is.
We normally keep cars a long time, so it's cost effective to get mounted winter tires (usually from the Tire Rack), making the changeover so much simpler than messing with mounting and demounting. I'll have to do some homework about tire pressure monitors and what brands are preferred before buying winters for next year.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #35
Per Flem
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X-1

Speedo issues-Rant

I was surprised to learn that the acceptable tolerance on accuracy according to BMW is 10% plus 2.5mph. My X-1 needs 76mph on the dash to achieve 71mph over the road. My wife who likes to run 1mph over limit was left in the dust.
I went to dealer for a fix and was told it could be 79.5mph before considered a problem. Audi says 2%. Ironically the odometer was extremely accurate, .1mile off after 20 miles.
Running factory tires.14,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #36
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Flem View Post
I was surprised to learn that the acceptable tolerance on accuracy according to BMW is 10% plus 2.5mph. My X-1 needs 76mph on the dash to achieve 71mph over the road. My wife who likes to run 1mph over limit was left in the dust.
I went to dealer for a fix and was told it could be 79.5mph before considered a problem. Audi says 2%. Ironically the odometer was extremely accurate, .1mile off after 20 miles.
Other than the sensation of that you are going slower than what the speedo shows, which you actually are, one advantage is that it might save you from meeting a highway patrol officer who wants to give you a present.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #37
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Flem View Post
One work around is to enable the digital speed option via coding. I just had this done and can now see the an accurate speed on the dash. The analog speedo is still wrong by about 4mph at 75...but it's better than nothing. The digital speed is the actual speed used by the car to detemine odometer miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #38
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
One work around is to enable the digital speed option via coding. I just had this done and can now see the an accurate speed on the dash.
Where on the dash is the digital speed displayed?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #39
back2bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1

Awesome review! But I gotta be honest, I love the sport seats & more than 1 co-worker or friend who's driven with me at lunch or where ever has complimented on how fitting the sport seats are, especially when I take a corner at a decent speed! They absolutely love the "fit like a glove" feel especially side bolsters.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:49 PM   #40
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STE92VE View Post
Where on the dash is the digital speed displayed?
It is displayed in the OBC area between the Speedo and Tach. This isn't a photo I took, but one I found of an E90 with the option enabled. Looks identical on my X1. It just becomes one of the many options you can select with the button on the end of the turn indicator stalk.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #41
danielj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x2

The digital speed readout is so small it's almost pointless

My VW GTI has a digital speed option and the numbers are large and easy to read. I hope the 16's get a better, more advanced gauge cluster.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #42
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj View Post
The digital speed readout is so small it's almost pointless

My VW GTI has a digital speed option and the numbers are large and easy to read. I hope the 16's get a better, more advanced gauge cluster.
Yep, it is small. But this digital speed wasn't meant to be a standard feature...so it wasn't designed to be large and clearly visible like in many other cars. It's primary purpose was for diagnostics and troubleshooting I believe.

But better than nothing IMHO!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #43
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

A retired state cop buddy has taught me that there isn't a cop in Christendom who will look at you for 5 over...the trick being to know what 5 over actually looks like. We have a Garmin nav that gives ground speed; it generally shows the speedo to be about 3 mph optimistic, which is likely to get worse as the tires wear. I check the speedo in all the cars against the nav from time to time, and fudge cruising speed accordingly.
As an aside, the Focus, which is now my daughter's, has a speedo that is dead nuts on...her boyfriend was driving it somewhere, and assumed he had some built in cushion, which of course he did not. It cost him a ticket.
It it really worth finding out how fast is fast in a particular vehicle.
Moon
Appreciate 0