Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

04-01-2015, 01:30 AM   #1
chb397
变成药
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 35i M/VW tiguan 4motion

Where should I replace my tires?

Hi guys, I have 2013 x1 35i with the 19'' M wheels (P zero RFT). I damaged my right front tire on the highway (DFW should work on their road condition). It is on a very bad shape and I'm sure I have to replace it.
Since this is the first time I replace the RFT, I have to ask where should I replace them?
In a local BMW dealer? or other tire shop? will it be cheaper in a tire shop?
Do I have to replace all four or just two front tires? I only used them 15k miles.

Thank you guys, this is the first time I post. Hope you all drive safe.
      04-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

If yours is an sDrive, you can replace the two on the same axle. If you have an xDrive, you're going to need to replace all four or you'll have a really noisy diff and risk damage to it.

I use Discount Tire and buy the warranty (which you can haggle down). The one at Inwood and Lemmon uses the latest Hunter for mounting and balancing and does a great job.

This would be a good time to consider non RFT tires, which will ride better, are less prone to damage and are usually a few dollars cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
NumberSix
Veloce
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future X1???

Discount Tire sounds good, but what about wheels?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Discount Tire sounds good, but what about wheels?
What about wheels? OP damaged a tire, not a wheel. TireRack is a good starting place if you're looking for wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
If yours is an sDrive, you can replace the two on the same axle. If you have an xDrive, you're going to need to replace all four or you'll have a really noisy diff and risk damage to it.

I use Discount Tire and buy the warranty (which you can haggle down). The one at Inwood and Lemmon uses the latest Hunter for mounting and balancing and does a great job.

This would be a good time to consider non RFT tires, which will ride better, are less prone to damage and are usually a few dollars cheaper.
You would just buy one and shave it. But I'm with you...ANY excuse to get the heck off the runflats.

OP, one option if you have another car for a couple days is to measure your tread depth. Buy the tire from TireRack and have them shave it down to a matching depth for you. Then take it anywhere for install once you receive it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
webspoke
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x35i

Discount tire will match online prices generally, and they are numerous around Texas/OK in case you have future issues - like plugging nail punctures etc for free. At 15k your current tires are 1/2 worn or worse, I would replace the pair at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webspoke
Discount tire will match online prices generally, and they are numerous around Texas/OK in case you have future issues - like plugging nail punctures etc for free. At 15k your current tires are 1/2 worn or worse, I would replace the pair at least.
Not to mention the tread compound release will make one new tire unpleasant for a few hundred miles or more. It took nearly 1k miles to knock all the squirminess out of my last set of PSS. With that many miles on summer tires, it's time to punt.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #8
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webspoke View Post
Can't see how replacing the pair makes any sense.

You have to shave them to match the rear if he has an xdrive. So why bother getting 2 vs. 1 if they're both going to be cut to match the remaining tires?

Get one shaved, or buy four. Two gains you absolutely nothing. You'd be replacing a perfectly good tire with 50% tread with...wait for it...a perfectly good tire at 50% tread.

Last edited by PrematureApex; 04-01-2015 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #9
chb397
变成药
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 35i M/VW tiguan 4motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
You would just buy one and shave it. But I'm with you...ANY excuse to get the heck off the runflats.

OP, one option if you have another car for a couple days is to measure your tread depth. Buy the tire from TireRack and have them shave it down to a matching depth for you. Then take it anywhere for install once you receive it.
Thank you, I think I'll replace all four just in case and buy the warranty in discount tires.
But what if we have damage on the non-RFT, since we do not have any back-up
I love P-zero but my friend said PSS ride much better than the RFT Pzeros
      04-02-2015, 07:23 AM   #10
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Honestly, you just deal with it. For long road trips, you can throw a spare in the trunk if you want.

But most of us just get a plug kit, compressor, and maybe a bottle of fix-a-flat (although I'd just toss a plug in roadside), and pray we don't have an unrepairable blowout.

It's a rare thing, and I'd deal with one every few years if it means not having to drive on the runflats every day of the year.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Exactly. You can also use Roadside for a non repairable flat. I had an M Coupe for a dozen years with non RFT's and no spare. Needed roadside once. It's just AAA, they'll take you anywhere, not just the BMW dealer, especially if you tip the driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #12
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I think you guys are worrying too much about the xdrive unit. Replacing in pairs is fine, as long as the difference is no more than about 3%. I've been using non runflat tires for a long time now with no plugs or compressors or whatever in my car. If I get a flat, any tire shop should be able to patch it for about $25. No need to worry about going to the dealer for more expensive parts.

I can barely remember the last time I had a flat, it was 5 years ago in my T-bird. I didn't even swap the spare out, I just inflated the tire and drove it to a tire place. I'll take the same chances in my BMW. Unless I get a full on blow out, I'll just stop at a gas station and fill with air or call roadside/CAA.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0