XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #23
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Check out the BMW bike carrier for the back rather than the roof. That should fit the x1. Just need to see if it (or similar) can be modified.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 03:01 AM   #24
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
At one point in oz you could get a spare wheel holder on the rear door for the x5. I've also seen a photo of a mini that had fabricated a spare wheel carrier that was in a similar spot.
Not sure yet if I'll get the x1 or x3 but I'm considering adapting something to carry a spare wheel in the same spot based on a bike carrier later this year. Will let you know if it works out.
I've seen that around here on X5s, Cayennes and Touaregs... Good compromise between safety and convenience, at it doesn't interfere with the car available loading area.

There are some here, and it's in Oz !
http://www.kaymar.com.au/accessories...ccessories.php
      03-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #25
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
Check out the BMW bike carrier for the back rather than the roof. That should fit the x1. Just need to see if it (or similar) can be modified.
There seems to be a "bike carrier readiness " option available for the X1, not sure what it is, but I did read somewhere maybe on the forum that it's just a few holes drilleed in preparation for it.???
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #26
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep

Another way would be to have a hayman reece towbar fitted and slot a hayman reece size tongue into it. I know it's pretty simple to take a piece of correct size square tube for the tongue and just have a wheel carry bracket welded on. I could imagine you could use it for all sorts of attachments/add on's. I haven't seen the BMW bike carrier to know how strong it is, might be up to it Ok though. It could be the 'swiss army knife' of accessories!
At least if you had the towbar option it might be more multipurpose.
I've had a couple of bikecarriers over the years. My original bolt to towbar one was great until they started making bikes with oversized toptubes that no longer fitted it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #27
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive23d

Interesting thread. I've done quite a bit of research on run flat tyres (google it!) and have decided that I really don't want them at all. I spoke to my dealer about it and he tried to convince me otherwise however I had an answer for everything he said. Problem is that the run flats come as standard in Australia and they are loathe to replace them.

Saying that, I have arranged for the tyres to be swapped to regular ones as soon as it's delivered. I'll be getting five tyres and have ordered another wheel for the spare. If I get a flat I'll just call the NRMA for a tow as I don't anticipate carrying the spare around. If I go country, I'll defo be taking the spare.

The run flat issues are mainly around cost. In Australia they cost $550 each. Apparently they are designed to go either front or back AND left or right so once on, you can't swap them around. Also, if you get a flat on one side, it's recommended, read almost mandatory, to replace the one on the other side at the same time so they don't get out of alignment. One flat = $1100.

Also they can't be repaired. Well, some can but it's got to be a small hole not near the walls and has to be caught almost as soon as it happened. If you drive too far the tyre walls will be damaged and you're back to your $1100 v $20 repair.

The other big issue is that it's critical to have the pressure right all the time. If it goes down even slightly, they start wearing quite badly. I have heard many, many tales of people having to replace all tyres due to wear after nine months from new. I personally don't have the time to check the tyre pressure every week and that is what is required. In fact I'm not even likely to drive it every week so for me it would be more like having to check each tyre almost every time I drive the car. (I won't be using it to get to work)

BMW offer tyre insurance but it only covers the damaged tyre so if one gets a puncture, it will cover that but not the other perfectly fine tyre that you also have to replace. Also the insurance is around $800 a year which is not far off the cost of four regular tyres which will last a lot longer than a year.

Then there's the drive and noise. I've heard the run flats are getting better in this regard but they still aren't as good as regular tyres.

Jax Bondi are swapping four run flats for five regular tyres and I have to buy the extra wheel. For the peace of mind it will provide, I think it's a good deal.

In 16 years of driving my Golf (yes long time between new cars), I've only had two flats. Unfortunately they occurred at the same time at 140kmph (both tyres on passenger side as I ran over something puncture inducing) but were able to be fixed in a small country town and I was back on my way from Sydney to Jindabyne which is a 500 km journey. If this happened on runflats, I would have been able to continue to Canberra maybe but then would need to find someone that stocked them at midnight on a Friday night. Not a likely scenario meaning an unscheduled overnight in Canberra and then the $2200 cost of replacing all the tyres.

I'm not at all convinced by run flats but would be interested to know who has regular tyres and what brand and model they have on their car.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #28
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Indeed, it would make for quite an expensive flat tire..

Continental something here, BMW standard issue. Wearing a bit fast on the back (23000 kms) in my opinion...
      04-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #29
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

I too was worried about run-flats but having my car for only a week now, can't make any judgements. However, you do not need to check the pressure any more frequently than normal ones - the BMW runflat guide states to check it at least twice monthly. With my old car with std tyres I'd check pressure every time I fill up, so no worries there. What you MUST do is reset the TPM on the computer everytime you adjust the pressure. I haven't had any warnings - and considering everyday at work I have to negotiate unpleasant speed breakers - I'm happy so far.

I must admit that I suspect the ride would be better on stds. My X1 doesn't exactly smother bumps like, say, my dad's 1997 5-series.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 02:28 PM   #30
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

This question of runflats calls for another survey, so!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #31
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=bacchaebabe;9311537]
Jax Bondi are swapping four run flats for five regular tyres and I have to buy the extra wheel. For the peace of mind it will provide, I think it's a good deal.

I guess a spare rim was easy enough to organise. Any difficulties there at all? Costs for different ones?

It worries me too that a tyre centre suppossedly needs special tools to be able to change the tyres. Can imagine any idiot trying to swap them for you and damaging the brand new tyre somehow and just sending you on your way none the wiser until it fails down the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #32
bacchaebabe
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xdrive23d

Hi AusX1,

I'm actually getting my car Sunday week and while originally BMW was going to help out with the swap over, they have now said they can't help and won't help. However, Jax are still fine with everything and I'm swapping to Pirelli P7s (non Run Flat) and they'll swap 4 run flats for 5 standards. As the standards are $246 and the run flats over $500, they'll be coming out on front.

Only thing is that I'll get the car Sunday and they aren't open Sunday so I have to drive home then back to Bondi on Monday for the swap over. They said this is fine as long as I don't do any more kms than that (less than 30km).

They also confirmed that the run flats tend to wear quicker than normal tyres. BMW Sydney (Rushcutters Bay) recommend Jax to their customers to deal with their tyres so they'd know as well as anyone.

The extra rim (17 inch V spoke wheel) is $665 as an accessory.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #33
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep

Good info . Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #34
Filski
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Thanks as well, useful info
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 04:02 AM   #35
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchaebabe View Post
Hi AusX1,

I'm actually getting my car Sunday week and while originally BMW was going to help out with the swap over, they have now said they can't help and won't help. However, Jax are still fine with everything and I'm swapping to Pirelli P7s (non Run Flat) and they'll swap 4 run flats for 5 standards. As the standards are $246 and the run flats over $500, they'll be coming out on front.

Only thing is that I'll get the car Sunday and they aren't open Sunday so I have to drive home then back to Bondi on Monday for the swap over. They said this is fine as long as I don't do any more kms than that (less than 30km).

They also confirmed that the run flats tend to wear quicker than normal tyres. BMW Sydney (Rushcutters Bay) recommend Jax to their customers to deal with their tyres so they'd know as well as anyone.

Just for interest there is a factory 17" steel rim available as well. Don't have a price but it should be much cheaper than an alloy. If you are only going to use it as a spare it should be fine. I have them on my 4xwinter tyres as I did not want to scratch fancy alloys with snow chains. There are also plastic wheel covers if the aesthetics bother you. A pic of mine below.Name:  DSC_6508.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  127.7 KB

I am surprised at the big premium you guys are paying for non-RF's over RF's. Here the price difference is only about 20% so think you are being ripped off.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela

Last edited by mario486; 05-04-2011 at 04:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #36
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep

Just talking with a Bridgestone store and they have said RF 225/50/17's are $320, regular tyres $195 - $245. She was surprised at the lost cost of the RF, and thought it was probably because it's a more common size as most times BMW RF's for their customers come in at over $500-$600. She thought an alloy rim should cost approx $220. No definite quote at this stage, but I thought sounded better than what I had in mind. So we'll see, but hopefully a good alloy spare will be around $540 with tyre and I can carry around an extra RF wheel in the hope that any puncture I can change the wheel over and get the other repaired, rather than run on it and completly wreck the tyre and the chance of plugging it. It'll give me the flexibilty to go with non RF's if I ever want to when the first set wear out. Now still... where to put the damn thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #37
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusX1 View Post
... where to put the damn thing.
Roof rack, on top. Will look cool, like Paris to Dakar or something
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #38
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep

Name:  Spare.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  15.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #39
dimitris33
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

No way!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #40
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchaebabe View Post
Hi AusX1,

Hey there,

Surely someone in Sydney would be up for buying you 5 regular tyres and take the runflats of your hands in exchange. $1250 for $2000 worth of tyres sounds like a bargain to me. If I was in Sydney I'd hook up and grab them off you. Can't imagine it'd cost much for that person to have them fitted later on. Maybe even ask$1500?
Appreciate 0